Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
No, it's quite clean, and the fan turns at the normal speed.
Reminds me of a hint for boats with icemakers. The radiator like thing at the front behind an easily removed trim grille accumulates so much dust etc mine looked like a carpet. Easily vacuumed clean and improves performance.
Not that we use it much. Unlike friends GB 52 with 2 icemakers which struggle meeting demand.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #22

City: EC FL
Rick B wrote -

ďThe fridge should have a dataplate that lists the type and weight of the charge. For a typical small boat fridge with that compressor I would guess about 5 or 6 ounces but it will be on the machine or in its manual someplace on the specifications page.Ē

Never seen one, or in printed documentation.

My guess is your estimated 5 or 6 oz, is probably very close since the OP said he had a holding plate.

In general, and thatís in general, a Danfoss system with a roll bond evaporator will hold between 3 and 4 ozs. of refrigerant.

So tell us Mike, since you have only 2 Danfoss systems aboard the little DeFever what do you know?

I carry a vacuum pump, heaters, refrigerant, and gauges with me when we cruise. I have fixed dozens of fellow cruisers problems without charge since it helps me keep learning how to keep my systems working. I donít need the money but Iíll bet someone could keep their cruising kitty up by learning how to do skilled repair on a Danfoss based system.

I just need my cold beer and frozen steaks!

I never touch A/C systems, thatís for the proís.

Mike

Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #23
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
There is no reason to put the charge weight on the compressor, the charge depends on the system size.

The fridge should have a dataplate that lists the type and weight of the charge. For a typical small boat fridge with that compressor I would guess about 5 or 6 ounces but it will be on the machine or in its manual someplace on the specifications page.

Reefer techs are like any others, you can get a diamond or a lump of coal.
I built the refer and freezer with vacuum honeycomb myself, so the manufacturer is me. So, I think your advice to add a bit of refrigerant to see what effect it has will help zero in on whether I have a funky and failing compressor, or a very, very slow leak. Again, I very much appreciate the specific and actionable advise.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #24
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBD View Post
Check YouTube, there is at least one video of recharging a Danfoss system. I'm sure the advice you've got from Rick is spot on but it may be beneficial to see someone go through the motions prior to your attempt.
That's a great idea. You can find instructions on how to boil eggs on youtube, so why not recharging a Danfos? Thanks...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #25
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
If you decide to have someone look at it, call David Lehmann at Sea Freeze in Bellingham. His cell phone number is 360-305-9573. He does nothing but marine refrigeration and comes to Anacortes one day a week. I have had him do repairs on my cold plate system. Good luck
That is very helpful. If I have to replace this unit, I would prefer to have someone like David do it. I didn't know who in B'ham did this work, only that B'ham was the closest place to find someone, so thank you for the reference.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We have a Sea Freeze system with a Danfoss Bd35 and a Bd 50 compressor. The 35 takes 6.5 oz of 134a and the 50 takes 4.5 oz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001a.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	14687   Click image for larger version

Name:	008a.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	14688  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We have a Sea Freeze system with a Danfoss Bd35 and a Bd 50 compressor. The 35 takes 6.5 oz of 134a and the 50 takes 4.5 oz.
Thanks Larry - it sounds like that is at start up before everything has been running for awhile. I wonder why the larger unit takes less gas? Is the 35 running the freezer portion?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Thanks Larry - it sounds like that is at start up before everything has been running for awhile. I wonder why the larger unit takes less gas? Is the 35 running the freezer portion?
Carl: I have no idea on the difference in the gas capacity. The Bd35 is the refrigerator which is about twice the size of the freezer. Both have approximately the same tubing run length from the compressors to the evaporators. It would be a question to ask if you end up needing any professional help. Both compressors have not been shut off in over 5 years (excluding defrosting the freezer) and have run flawlessly.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote