Old 04-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Guru

I am definitly warming up to Pex. I'll go to the hardware store tomorrow and get some prices and more info. I found out I can rent a crmping tool for about $10 a day. Not bad.

Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #22

City: Hope Harbour, Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Shipshape
Vessel Model: Clipper 30ft
do you guys have john Guest fittings? They are soooo easy, just push on and easy to remove if you need to add or reroute pipes, They never leak ... I have them in the boat and motorhome as well for almost 10 years now ....

John Guest Speedfit - The World Leader in Push-fit Fittings, Pipe and Plastic Plumbing Systems - 12, 16 & 20mm Size Fittings

shipshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Aransas Pass TX
Vessel Name: Moonshine
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Anode. VERY neat and tidy installation! I've been chasing an ongoing problem for some time now. The FW pump does not shut down and I have VERY low pressure in the galley taps. I'm almost certain I have an air leak on the supply side of the FW system although I can see no bubbles in the clear tubing I've "temporarily" installed to bypass a corroded copper line. If and when I ever get to re-doing my house plumbing I intend to use copper, flared with brass fittings but that's just me.
I have a similar symptom that was traced to a leaking TP valve on the HW tank. It's been there a long time and I am afraid that I will be replacing a HW heater. It drips into the bottom of the bilge so no harm with that..... for now.

Pappy Chris
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Thanks for the tip. I'll check all connections...
Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The red and blue tubing for hot and cold runs is pretty cool looking. Of course it doesn't make a difference as to how well the system works and it's a lot easier to figure out than electrical circuits.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #26

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Juz-B-Cuz
Vessel Model: 38' Rawson Trawler
You can recover the cost of the tool pretty quickly versus the cost of the Sharkbite fittings if you are doing very many. I prefer the Wirsbo system as it does not restrict water flow compared to the crimp types. The EP fittings are only about a buck each -- about 15% of the sharkbites.
Chris Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Foster View Post
You can recover the cost of the tool pretty quickly versus the cost of the Sharkbite fittings if you are doing very many. I prefer the Wirsbo system as it does not restrict water flow compared to the crimp types. The EP fittings are only about a buck each -- about 15% of the sharkbites.
By Jeff Pope
Monday, Feb. 23, 2009 | 6:53 p.m.
Related stories
Plumbing failures in Southern Nevada may be more universal than the problem of just one system.
Already in the midst of a lawsuit regarding the Kitec plumbing system, Pulte Homes and its subsidiary Del Webb are investigating potential problems with Wirsbo brass fittings in some of its Sun City Anthem communities.
The Wirsbo fittings were installed in the majority of homes built between October 2005 and February 2008 in the Desert Sky, Shadow Canyon and Black Mountain communities, according to a letter Pulte sent to homeowners.
Pulte is offering to replace the Wirsbo yellow brass fittings with Wirsbo red brass fittings.
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc and comes in a variety of types based on its composition.
Yellow brass typically has about 30 percent zinc. When the yellow brass is exposed to Southern Nevada's mineral-rich hard water, the zinc is removed and builds up inside the pipes leading to blockages and breaks, according to court documents in the Kitec lawsuit. The process is called dezincification.
Red brass typically has 5 percent to 10 percent zinc and is being used to replace the yellow brass in valley homes built by Richmond American and Pulte.
Jacque Petrolakis, a spokeswoman for Pulte, said the company is awaiting test results and additional inspections before it decides on a replacement plan for the Wirsbo fittings.

Hope not these fittings!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
Guru

I am now a Pex lover! In half a day I was able to dry fit all my lines. I like the fact it bends a bit, very forgiving when it's time to measure and put the connectors together. I'll post pictures when my intallation is complete.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
I am now a Pex lover! In half a day I was able to dry fit all my lines. I like the fact it bends a bit, very forgiving when it's time to measure and put the connectors together. I'll post pictures when my intallation is complete.
I saw a guy on a TV show using a tool to bend PEX without kinking. Your local plumbing supply house will probably know about it.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote