Raw Water Hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rimshot

Vessel Name
Naut-A-Yacht
Vessel Make
Mainship
Howdy,
Raw water hoses need to be replaced as they are cracked and starting to leak. (Holy cow!) These are 2" in diameter and will be lots of fun to wrestle with. Any tips to make it easier to replace them...besides shutting off the sea cock first!
Thanks.

Try using a "gentle" heat gun. This usually helps in removing the old hoses and installing the new hoses. Double clamps.

Heat gun usually is an aid to removing hoses...
Rotate first to break the bond loose then rock side to side to get off.
Flat screw drivers / Hose picks can be helpful but you must be careful if you are reusing the hoses.
When replacing usually easiest to cut the old ones off
If wire reinforced ( most exhaust / intake) you can cut the rubber w/ carpet knife and wire w/ side cutters or hack saw.

Heat gun or hot water helps getting the new ones on as does a little soap wiped on the ID.

Cut them apart with a Dremel tool with a cut off disk attached. Pop, pop, pop goes the wire, a good wiggle and there off.

NAPA or your local car or truck store will have a nice device for removing old hoses.

It looks like a thin screwdriver with a 90 at the working end.

Slip it in and work it all around the fitting and the hose will come off , usually with no damage.

Maybe $8.00

Mix dish soap and water in spray bottle. Spray between hose and barb and let soak for a few minutes. Spray inside of new hose and outside of barb prior to installing.

NAPA or your local car or truck store will have a nice device for removing old hoses.

Slip it in and work it all around the fitting and the hose will come off , usually with no damage.

After you insert the blade the first time, give a squirt of WD40 and try again. Works for me.

Hose pick set. Makes removing hoses a breeze. Then use dish soap for installation.

Attachments

• 71v+ZkuH6yL__SL1500_.jpg
    71v+ZkuH6yL__SL1500_.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 56

Maybe $8.00

If your thinking of the same tool as I am it's called a cotter pin puller. Handiest damn tool there is, lol. Also works great to get in behind and pop downour velcro'd overhead panels.

Damn it BillII you did it again.
I just removed my engine intake hose and as I wasn't planning to replace it, I used a Dremel tool with a little circular saw blade to slit it. Much easier than fighting it with a heat gun.

If you're going to reuse it, heat gun and various pullers will eventually get the job done.

Damn it BillII you did it again.
I just removed my engine intake hose and as I wasn't planning to replace it, I used a Dremel tool with a little circular saw blade to slit it. Much easier than fighting it with a heat gun.

If you're going to reuse it, heat gun and various pullers will eventually get the job done.

IF one uses a dremel or a knife to slit a hose, make sure you do not cut into the fitting. That will possibly create a leak path.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom