Raritan SeaEra conversion kit obsolete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
We want to convert our aft head toilet to fresh water. Defender said Raritan Part #160LF012 is obsolete and no longer stocked. What replaced it, if anything?

Give Raritan a call. I've been dealing with Greg Morales in their customer service department as I replaced our two Crown heads. Greg is very knowledgeable and will steer you in the right direction.

Raritan still shows it on their website, albeit without a model #. Give 'em call...800-352-5630 However, even if it has been discontinued, it was recent enough that while Defender may not still have any, other retailers still do...so SHOP!

Thank you all...I will assign the "shopping task" to the Sicilian. She lives to shop and I'm only makin' the change to stop her complainin'.

Price. The Sicilian found conversion kit made by Jabsco. The price is about the same, is there a preference?

There's a big difference in the quality and durability. Practical Sailor rated the SeaEra "best budget buy" a couple of years ago in a comparison of just about every macerating electric toilet including Jabsco. (They rated the Raritan Elegance "best in show" btw.) Raritan products have always been top rated, though.

Fwiw, a few years ago ITT spun Jabsco off to a company called Xylem Flow Control. who have three manufacturing locations--the UK, China and Mexico...none in the US. All Jabsco products sold in the US are now made in Mexico with parts and components sourced from China and other Asian suppliers.

Raritan and Groco are the only US marine toilet mfrs who still make everything in the US.

The Sea Era was designed as a quieter version of Jabsco's original electric toilet.
The main difference was the Jabsco used a loud rubber impeller to supply the flush water. The Sea Era used a quieter diaphragm pump.

This isn't an issue with the fresh water versions as they use water from your existing water system to flush with. They are also less expensive than the raw water flush toilets as you don't have to buy a supply pump.

If you were going with a raw water flush, choose the Raritan for sure. I'd probably go for the Raritan fresh flush as well but there isn't as big a difference.

I don't have access to my Raritan Distributer Price List any more but as I recall there was a change to the part number. I'm sure Raritan still offers a fresh flush version of the Sea Era.

Send an email to victor@hopkins-carter.com and ask him to quote you on one.
Charlene at Raritan Ft. Lauderdale is my contact there.

Most manual heads can be pumped dry.

No smell if there is no sea water inhabitants left to die in the bowl.

PIA to have to pump , to fill the bowl before a dump, but less to buy , install, repair than a FW setup.

Our shower wand is in the sink , so a quick squirt in the head works great.

The main difference was the Jabsco used a loud rubber impeller to supply the flush water. The Sea Era used a quieter diaphragm pump.

Another BIG difference: You have to take the whole Jabsco pump assembly apart to get to the intake impeller to replace it. The intake pump on the SeaEra is on the back end of the pump...see part 162000W on the exploded drawing Raritan SeaEra Parts List and Drawing

Just got off the phone with Victor of Hopkins-Carter. Ordered the unit and can't wait to install it and make the Sicilian happy. Grazie mille ( a thousand thanks) for all the help.

Installed the Raritan SeaEra conversion kit and made the Sicilian happy. Very easy to install, even this retired millwright was able to follow the wiring diagram. No more smell and a lot quieter operation. A few bucks well spent.

Installed the Raritan SeaEra conversion kit and made the Sicilian happy. Very easy to install, even this retired millwright was able to follow the wiring diagram. No more smell and a lot quieter operation. A few bucks well spent.

Happy Sicialian, Happy boat, happy life :)

Back
Top Bottom