Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
Guru

RE: Raritan Sea Era

Good question Boatk9. I have installed on my boat a SeaEra freshwater head complete from the factory and a "kit" for conversion to SeaEra freshwater head where the only old parts were the bowl and the seat. In the freshwater line is a solinoid and a vacuum break on each. SeaEra seems to think that is all that is needed, yet Peggie keeps saying that's not enough. I too would like to know what exactly is "a good bit more" that she refers to.

Can you help us here Peggie?

Ken

2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
Guru

I am another who is interested in this as I installed a Sea Era fresh water per their instructions, then converted a Jabsco to fresh water the same way using a solenoid and vacuum break.

Thanks

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #23
Guru

Will the Sea Era conversion kit fit an existing JABSCO toilet?
ancora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
ancora wrote:
*I converted a Jabsco raw water electric flush. I did not buy*the Raritan kit. I bought a vacuum break and a 12 vdc solenoid from other sources and installed them per the Raritan instructions. They both operate the same way as far as I can tell.

Then on the Jabsco pump, I removed the raw water impeller from the housing and tapped the ports with a 1/8 NPT pipe tap, then*installed pipe plugs to seal that chamber. That makes the pump quiet.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

All this talk about a quiet head. To me it's sort of satisfying, after an appropriate time on the throne with a good catalog for company, to hit the loud grinder button. Makes one feel as if one has accomplished something right off, first thing in the morning.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
All this talk about a quiet head. To me it's sort of satisfying, after an appropriate time on the throne with a good catalog for company, to hit the loud grinder button. Makes one feel as if one has accomplished something right off, first thing in the morning.
*I guess those with quiet crappers must resort to a rebel yell.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
ancora wrote:
*If it has the standard 4 bolt bowl it will fit. The conversion kit has everything you need except the bowl and seat.

Ken
Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #28
Guru

Went to the Raritan web page and looked at the Sea Era conversion kit. After looking at all the parts to this unit, I am having second thoughts. Why so complicated?
ancora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #29
Guru

Which part looks complicated?

The fresh water inlet has a solenoid to allow pressure fresh water in, a vacuum break to keep contamination out of your supply tanks. Those go in line from your domestic supply which then connects to the back of the bowl. A push button switch simultaneously opens the water solenoid, and turns on the macerator pump in the base, under the bowl. Viola! ground sewage going to the tank and no more clogs at the corners.

Or did my computer miss the sarcasm font in your message? It's happened before and may even happen again......
Old 07-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #30
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

OK, you guys convinced me to convert!!

After 30 years, I found that keeping my old Raritan electric/manual hand pumped heads working and not leaking was nearly impossible. *After following this string for a while, I ordered a raw water Sea Era conversion kit last week for the forward head. WMJ Marine online had it for $403 including two day delivery. *

That was yesterdays project and I mean all of yesterday. *Like every boat project, it started first by removing the old (a little messy in this case). Then a margarita break, clean up the mess left from all the previous water leaks, (another margarita break). Setting in and fitting the Sea Era base for proper spacing. *Totally different bolt down pattern and spacing of course, which means you must fill the old holes. *

After another Margarita break, I felt confident enough that all was right, to mark and drill the new bolt holes and mount the old China bowl to the Sea Era base (This is the easiest part, 20 minutes tops!)

After a trip to the fruit stand for more stawberries (for the margaritas of course) I proceeded to the final installation, mounting the assembly, re-routing and trimming inlet and discharge hoses and electrical to fit and the final bolt down.

I kept the old seawater intake and the conversion went really very well. *Just keep in mind that the new base will sit differently than the old toilet assembly. *You will most likely have to relocate some of the hoses to fit properly. *If your old head was electric be sure and replace your old switch with the new switch provided, (it carries more amperage).

As long as you have some basic skills and don't mind standing on your head in small spaces, anyone can do this conversion. *Other than three barrel connectors, everything else needed was included in the kit. *It works great and I highly recommend the conversion to anyone waivering on the edge!!

p.s. *The margarita's really do help.*

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote