Old 07-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Raritan joker valves....duck bill or cross slits best?

It is that time again, my fresh water electric Raritan Crown in backing up. I did read online...... that the Jabsco tri-slit valve is the best choice and will fit on both the Raritans and the Jabsco heads. I hesitate to order this valve only because pictures show the valve is longer than what the Raritan appears to be. Anyone have experience using valves other than the old standard duck bills?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: AR
I'd use the joker valves designed by the mfr to work best with their toilet.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I'd use the joker valves designed by the mfr to work best with their toilet.

--Peggie
Peggy— Raritan has both styles, duck and slit. Finding recommendations on Raritan’s site gets to be more than a challenge,

EDIT: I just ordered the Raritan C253 Crown Head Joker Valve
Old 07-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Foggy, I also have Raritan Crowns so your post got my attention. Not sure if you're aware of this but Raritan has re-manufactured motor/pump assemblies available. Pretty reasonable at about $600 plus your core. I replaced both of mine two years ago as a pre-emptive maintenance item at 10 years, not wanting to deal with head issues while we're in Alaska for the summer.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
Guru

Ken-I understand why you took your preventative maintenance measure knowing UPS/FEDX may have delivery problems out on Alaska’s water. My Crown has worked flawlessly now for close to 15 years with the exception of now needing its second joker valve. If it begins to show. signs of age that impacts its functionality, I most likely will replace it with an Elegance. We have both an Elegance and a Crown on the boat. The Elegance has it all over the Crown IMHO. It would not be a surprise if Raritan’s re-manufactured assembly is a copy of the assembly they use for the Elegance. All in all........I firmly believe Raritan produces quality marine heads.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Guru

They've been doing that for at least 30 years...the price was $320 when I sold 'em in the late '80s. After they introduced the SeaEra in '99, they tried to convert people into swapping Crown base assemblies for SeaEras 'cuz the SeaEra only draws half the amperage, needs 1/4 the flush water and is at least 75% quieter...and a lot of people do take 'em up on that. But there are still enough people who've had Crowns for 40 years or even longer (Raritan introduced it in '68) and wouldn't have anything else if you gave it to 'em that they keep swapping out Crown for Crown too.

--Peggie
Old 07-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
Guru

It would not be a surprise if Raritan’s re-manufactured assembly is a copy of the assembly they use for the Elegance.

NOOOO!! How could you possibly hear both toilets flush and think they have anything in common???? The Elegance is a new design from the ground up. Raritan has redesigned the Atlantes "assembly" to be very similar to the Elegance but the remanufactured Crown is exactly same assembly as a new Crown--which Raritan still sells, btw-and has always been since 1968 with a few minor changes.

There have been 3 versions of the Crown, all of which make the same amount of noise and need the same 1-3 gals of flush water...the first was the "standard," which drew 30 amps. Next came the "Deep Draft" (DD) which had some mods that allowed it to be installed below waterline...it drew 50 amps. Raritan introduced the Centrifugal Discharge (CD) version in the late 80s and remains the current version...it draws 36 amps. Otoh, the sea water version of the SeaEra draws about 15 amps, needs only about a liter of flush water and doesn't notify everyone on the dock that you're flushing it.

--Peggie
Old 07-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
It would not be a surprise if Raritan’s re-manufactured assembly is a copy of the assembly they use for the Elegance.

NOOOO!! How could you possibly hear both toilets flush and think they have anything in common???? The Elegance is a new design from the ground up. Raritan has redesigned the Atlantes "assembly" to be very similar to the Elegance but the remanufactured Crown is exactly same assembly as a new Crown--which Raritan still sells, btw-and has always been since 1968 with a few minor changes.

There have been 3 versions of the Crown, all of which make the same amount of noise and need the same 1-3 gals of flush water...the first was the "standard," which drew 30 amps. Next came the "Deep Draft" (DD) which had some mods that allowed it to be installed below waterline...it drew 50 amps. Raritan introduced the Centrifugal Discharge (CD) version in the late 80s and remains the current version...it draws 36 amps. Otoh, the sea water version of the SeaEra draws about 15 amps, needs only about a liter of flush water and doesn't notify everyone on the dock that you're flushing it.

--Peggie

Engineering .........that is how they could do it.........engineering!