Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #21
City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I tried to get a appliance dealer come about 2 miles and check out my Raritan ice maker, he told me they don't work on boats. A boater friend at the marina fixed it for free, just a adjustment.

Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #22

City: AR
"I tried to get a appliance dealer come about 2 miles and check out my Raritan ice maker, he told me they don't work on boats."

I'm not called a DEALER. Dealers make their money SELLING appliances, they don't work on them. They'll only do warranty work, and they contract that out to a REPAIR/SERVICE business who's "factory authorized" (translation: "gets paid") to work on that/those brand(s). So of course they're not gonna send anyone to a boat to look at an out-of warranty icemaker they don't even sell!

But this time you got was a minor problem that a dockmate knew how to fix for nothing.

Next time any of you need a repair on an appliance that can "cross over" to home appliances, look in your yellow pages for "appliance REPAIR" companies (NOT dealers!!!!) ....they work on appliances that are OUT of warranty. They WILL work on appliances on boats...and anywhere else long the appliance is a brand name they recognize and can get parts for. The honest ones will tell you if it's not cost effective to repair it.

(Whizzit that women know this stuff and men never do?)

2016 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member
City: Madison Indiana
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
The PO made a big deal of saying he got it from Defender and although expensive they were the best deal. Me thinks fib. About an hour ago a guy told me to look inside the cabinet for the sticker which has date of manufacture. I just got back from the boat and if I read it correctly it was made in April 2006.

It was a local tech that is known to Raritan, has Raritan listed on his business card and was recommended by some of my fellow boat club members as having fixed their Raritans. Short of taking it off the boat and driving it to Ft. Lauderdale it was the best that I could do.

Did you ever get this fixed ?? I got one to work on next week with a dead compressor, just curious, wish I was closer, I am turning into a refrigeration junkie as a hobby
Doug Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:27 AM   #24
City: Florida
Vessel Name: Hi Spirits
Vessel Model: Albin 35 TE SF (sold)
Yes, I got it fixed. It needed a new ice cuber and a thermostat. $390.00 more added to the $90 that I paid to have it diagnosed.

No choice really as nothing else will neatly fit in the cabinet.

seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote