Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #1

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Question split air systems

Can anyone give me some guidance here? I have 3 split air systems on board, 2 of which have failed and I am looking to replace them. I believe the problems are on the compressor ends, one trips breaker & one does not blow cold. Can I just replace the two compressor units and connect the new ones to the existing fan/evapp units or are they some sort of matched system ?

If I can reuse the old fan/evap units, is there anything I should be aware of in ordering the replacement compressors?
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Before buying two new compressors, check for simple problems.
Tripping the breaker could be a wiring short; Does it trip when power is turned on, when running just fan, or after a period of time when in cool mode?
No cold - could be a gas leak and just needs re-gassing (and leak repaired).
If compressors do need replacing, obviously they need to be sized properly. I'd order same compressor make/model unless you are up to speed with other options which will match. Re-gassing may be required as well after replacement.
If the indoor end of business is working ok, no need to replace. Although there may not be a huge difference in price between compressor/re-gassing/labor , and replacing the lot.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
FF
Guru

Call a good repair guy, air cond has enough complexity that DIY is seldom a good idea.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #4

City: St James City Fl
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Model: Mainship
As an alternative to marine AC systems my slip neighbor is going to replace his two units next season with this

Amazon.com - Pioneer Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner, Heat Pump, 18000 BTU (1.5 Ton), 13 SEER, Cooling, Heating, Dehumidification, Ventilation. Including 16 Foot Installation Kit.. 208~230 VAC. - Single Room Air Conditioners

Here is another site with more info
Ductless Air Conditioning | Mitsubishi Electric Product Showcase

HTH,
S
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I agree..get a guy that knows his stuff and probably save you what his charges are...

Then again...had a friend with splits...the one marine a/c guy keep screwing around with one....wound up with$3000 bill in parts/labor and it failed within a month. Second guy said "what was that guy thinking"...put in a new compressor with labor and the bill was around $3000.

In boating centers there are good marine a/c guys...out in the boonies...(even a popular boating area like South Jersey) it's a crap shoot for real talent.

I'm not gonna even bother...next year I'm yanking my 2 split units...putting in 3 all-in one units where the current air handlers are. The new units are more efficient, quieter and I can install them myself. If one has the slightest problem...I can unhook it and take it to ANY a/c guy's shop and save transportation costs plus the hourly rate will be 1/2 of the marine guys.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I assume that split means, one compressor running two condenser fan units. I just had both my units fail. One didn’t produce much heat and the compressor didn’t come on for the other. One of them is a split system. After a week of monkeying around troubleshooting it myself I punted it to the boat yard. One had a blown fuse and the other was a little low on charge. No leaks found and no cause for the fuse although I believe it’s from me shifting it from heat to cool multiple times in short order.
Ditto on getting a GOOD AC guy.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I hear you about calling in the experts, but given the age of the units I fear I'll spend a couple hundred only to be told they need replacing. When I get back to the boat in a few weeks, maybe I'll get the meter out and see if I can't track down exactly whats at fault. The one throwing the breaker I'm fairly certain is a stuck reverse solenoid, banging on it didn't help which from what I've read means the unit is junk.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Amazon.com - Pioneer Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner, Heat Pump, 18000 BTU (1.5 Ton), 13 SEER, Cooling, Heating, Dehumidification, Ventilation. Including 16 Foot Installation Kit.. 208~230 VAC. - Single Room Air Conditioners

This is the big problem with mini splits , most are 240V which rulles out many many docks while cruising.

here are 120V setups , so beware on purchasing!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
What about just replacing it with one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Webasto-FCF001...ir+conditioner
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #10

I like the "price" of those ductless home systems but the drawback is the air handler unit is really big and ugly and cannot be hidden away. I would also worry about locating the compressor in the engine room as it was designed to be outside.

KLIMAIRE DC Inverter Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners heat pumps a/c deals online sales

Thanks Oliver, the Webasto you flagged is a self contained unit, not split, but psneeld makes some good points in favour of the self contained systems. Seems to me however that my path of least resistance & expense is to simply replace the compressor units if I can determine they will play nice with my existing air handlers.