A question about a simple network on a boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
At my club the network was simple and once logged on my google home would be able to connect to my club's network. However, my club upgraded?, the network. Now to log on you have to click an accept button. Once you do this the network recognizes your computer or Iphone and you are good to go. My google home doesn't seem to be able to do a seperate accept.

To work around this I was thinking of buying a seperate router/modem. This router modem would connect to the club wifi and would also be able to connect to my cell phone when I am away from the club.

My devices, my cell phone, my google hub, my TV which is connected to chromcast, would then connect to my shipboard router. When I am away from the club my cell phone would feed the router.

Question: What type of equipment would I use? How should I power my 120 devices, with individual inverters? Or my main xantrex inverter?

Last edited:
Look at the power demands of the routers. Many are DC powered after the adapter.

This is the one I use on board. Chose it because of low power draw, vpn capability, and the dual antennae with actual connectors. This allowed me to leave one connected and run the second one up to the spreader where I can now get great connection outside. Its also dirt cheap. This way, your onboard systems are connected to this router and it jumps on the marina wifi, or on your hotspot wifi, or directly tethered via usb cable to the phone.

Router

IMG_0253.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom