Question about disassembling an old Groco SVS seacock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Pulled the boat yesterday for a bottom job and going to finally take apart my Groco SVS 1000 seacock strainer combinations. Have rebuild kits which I can hopefully use depending on what I find inside. My question of anyone familiar with these is about getting the black rubber plug out. I swear I remember reading "Just loosen and take of the t-nut on the other side of the handle and it comes out." However, after fooling around with one today, the T-nut loosens up and then comes to a hard stop. On the handle side there are two nuts that hold in a plate with the rubber plug behind it. Is that the way these come apart? Unbolting that plate and pulling the plug out the handle side?

As I am typing this it occurs to me that this HAS to be the way it comes apart but I really had it in my mind that the T-nut was the key. Must have read something incorrectly...

Any comments appreciated!

The T bolt just expands the plug to lock it in place. Remove the plate on the other side and the rubber plug should come right out. Easy peasy.

Thanks Parks. I sort of knew that was the answer after looking at the parts diagram. I'm extremely leery of ANYTHING on my boat that I'm not sure of until confirmed by someone who knows. I guess that's a safe way to go about things.

I just read (pbase.com I believe) that it is not a good idea to grease inside the seacock, just the plug. Huh? I thought greasing them inside and out was a GOOD thing?? He may have been talking about the solid bronze tapered plugs and not models like mine maybe?

Last edited:
Parks, one more question on these. Is it possible to put them back together backwards? Meaning with the handle pointing to closed when the seacock is actually open? Do I need to pay any particular attention to the way things are situated or it is a somewhat foolproof assembly?

1/4 mission accomplished. Spent most of the day working on one seacock strainer. Wasn't real organized...up, down, up, out to wash bucket, down, up...where's that 5 way tool for scraping, etc. The other 3 will go faster. Most time was spent digging out and razor blading off the old gaskets. Haven't a clue how many years and what miracle of science it takes to turn a rubber gasket into bronze and become part of the main body but it seemed like that happened. honestly couldn't tell if it was gasket or just dark bronze. Ended up lubing them up real good with silicone grease and let sit for a while. That seemed to help....sort of. Oh, the rubber plug I was worried about looked brand new. Everything lubed up, back together and turning as smooth as butta.....Hopefully all is watertight when I go back in the water.
Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. Easy for you, first time for me!

Back
Top Bottom