Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Purisan and hose routing

Hi Everyone. I own a 1990 Jeffferson 52 Marquessa and the aft head hose has a very long run up to the holding tank. The hose is a 1989 hose and needs to be replaced. I am considering putting a Purisan in the aft cabin so the hose run would be cut down alot. The issue is that I would not be able to run this hose so that everything would run down hill. IE where the Purisan can be mounted is about a foot or so higher than the head hose. I know from reading previous inputs that is not ideal. But having a 30 foot run of head hose is not ideal either. Please advise as to your views on this issue.
Second question is we operate in a bay which is brackish but fed with gulf water. We presently have this head operate with fresh water to prevent smells. Should we convert back to salt if we go with the San system and use the lectrasan or stay with fresh and use the Purisan.
Thanks
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
First, please call the great folks at Raritan. They offer great free advice, directly from the manufacturer.

As far as the brackish water use, the Purasan is the product to use. The electro-scan requires salt water, pure salt water. In brackish water you'd need a salt tank to provide enough salt for proper operation.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
You mention that the water you operate in is brackish. It might not have enough salt content for an Electro Scan without adding salt from a brine tank. In that case you might as well stay with your fresh water flush. You could use either the Electro Scan with salt tank or Purisan.

I'd call Mac or Dale at Raritan in Ft. Lauderdale and talk to him about the hose run.
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
I have a similar situation and also want to put a purasan in the aft head for the same reasons but would have a similar uphill issue. If you do call Raritan would you please post what they say? I won't be doing this anytime soon (already have my list for 2014 and this is not on it) so I won't call them myself at this time.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Guru

I emailed Mac at Raritan and asked him to respond to the questions posed here.
Here is his response.

Q1. "The issue is that I would not be able to run this hose so that everything would run down hill. IE where the Purisan can be mounted is about a foot or so higher than the head hose. I know from reading previous inputs that is not ideal. But having a 30 foot run of head hose is not ideal either. Please advise as to your views on this issue."
A1. With the PurasanEX mounted a foot higher than the toilet, there is a potential for back-feed into the bowl from the PurasanEX. If this is the only possible area for mounting, you could place a vented loop in between the toilet and the PurasanEX treatment tank.
This would not exclude the use of an additional vented loop on the outbound side of the treatment unit, as well (depending on safety factors). Also if this is done, make certain that the toilet can develop the discharge pressure necessary to push everything through the system.

Q2. "Should we convert back to salt if we go with the San system and use the lectrasan or stay with fresh and use the Purisan."
A2. If you have the freshwater, I'd suggest staying with the PurasanEX system.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Guru

Thanks HopCar. I did the same and got the same response from Mac. Sounds like Purisan is the answer and I may need another vented loop. I will check my output level at the Purisan that I will install and see if it is above the water line.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Guru

If you're going to buy a Purasan you can save a few bucks if you buy it before the 18th of this month. That's when their 2013 -2014 prices go into effect. There is a small increase on the Purasan but not a lot.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Here
Forget the hose. We switched to ABS pipe almost 20 years ago ... cheaper than hose, very easy to control fall and easier to install, including P-traps. We have only 6" of hose at the toilets and at the holding tank connections, never had any smells or leaks whatsoever.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Guru

Boatpoker, when you transition to hose from the PVC do you just use hose clamps to attach and seal or do you use a sealer also? If you do use a sealer what kind? Thanks
Old 10-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Guru

From the 1 1/2" ABS I use a standard off the shelf adapter from Home Depot, I think it's a sink drain adapter that goes from the 1 1/2" O.D. pipe down to 1 1/4" I.D. of the hose. at the pipe end I use standard ABS glue and at the hose end I use clamps.

I am just about to leave for the day but I think I have a photo somewhere and will try and find it for you tonight.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
Guru

Found it ... this is the connection going into my holding tsnk (ignore the bilge pump float/hose).
Attached Thumbnails
ABS to Hose.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
yo
Veteran Member

Thanks Boatpoker for the post and the picture, I'm planing the same fix as you with the pvc 1 1/2'' pipe but was looking for the fitting to attach the hose.

Mike
yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Marine Sanitation in Seattle is a good source for sanitation fitings.

PVC / Fittings

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Guru

This brings up a question. Is there any issue with clamping directly to 1 1/4 inch shedule 40 PVC? The outer diameter of it is 1.5 inches and with schedule 40 it is very strong. I am not trying to save on fittings but have space issues.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
Guru

PVC seems to be the preferred material in the US and I know several people who have used problem free. I used ABS because it was what was in my house and I figured if it worked there it should work on the boat.