purified fresh water on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no need for filters but it seems I'm a minority.

Just wondering....
Do you guys filter your water due to the poor quality of your piped tap water or because of contaminated tanks on your boat?

You should consider that if you treat water from your on board tank by reverse osmosis you will be "discarding" a significant proportion of your tankage over the side.

If the intent is to produce drinking water then just direct the concentrate back to the water tank.

It's still fresh water and is probably better quality water than produced by most RO desalinators.

I have integral fiberglass tanks. Over the past 12 years, I've scrubbed, bleached, soaked, etc. and no matter what I do the water takes on the smell of fiberglass after a while. Short of re-coating the tanks, I don't think there is anything else I can do, so I just put the PUR filter on. Makes all the difference in the world. I even use it when I'm on shore water.

I have integral fiberglass tanks. Over the past 12 years, I've scrubbed, bleached, soaked, etc. and no matter what I do the water takes on the smell of fiberglass after a while. Short of re-coating the tanks, I don't think there is anything else I can do, so I just put the PUR filter on. Makes all the difference in the world. I even use it when I'm on shore water.

Ooooh- The smell of fibreglass is fairly off-putting. I can understand why you filter your water.
Maybe they just need more time. My integral fibreglass tanks dont have any odour but they are 30 yrs old. No idea if they were ever coated internally.

Keith: We have the same boat/tanks and no odor or smell. Did someone do some repairs to the tanks prier to you buying her?

When filling the tanks from shore, the water gets filtered (particulate and carbon)before it goes into the tanks.

so I just put the PUR filter on. Makes all the difference in the world. [/QUOTE]:iagree:

I don't think so, at least from visual inspection. Mine is hull #99, 1986. It's not a big problem, just a minor PITA.

Walt, do you recall what filter you have at the outlet of the accumulator, any chance a picture of your set up?
As previously stated....I have a G.E. filter immediately downstream of my accumulator & one that services my ice maker. I also have a PUR on the faucet in the galley which we use for making coffee and ice water. I have pics of the galley & ice maker filters but still have to get one by the accumulator.

1) Galley faucet filter (As Keith pointed out...the new ones have an LED that alerts you when they need changed.)

2) Ice maker filter (Quick disconnects make for an easy change.) This filter resides in the lazarette where my water tank is.

Attachments

• IMG_5125.jpg
    IMG_5125.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5129.jpg
    IMG_5129.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom