Old 02-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
If you are going to go to the length of reverse osmosis, for drinking on board, you may as well just install a watermaker and be done with it. They effectively use reverse osmosis. Then you can just purify the water the boats sitting in. As for us, we are like Eric, (and I suspect many others), only we don't buy it, we take with us a couple of 15L insulated containers with taps, like one might use camping, filled with filtered city supply, and that lasts a week for drinking/cooking.
So you filter and ro the city water that you put in your 15L containers?Thats what i do but I'm getting tired of doing that and wondering if anyone has an on board system i8n use. I guess those that choose to go that route go with a sea water purification system but they are so expensive
thanks for the info

Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
We also take 10-15L spring water containers on board, but refill at home with tap water which is fine. A friend tired of doing that, he fitted a domestic water filter like you can fit at home, and likes it.
sorta like i started out with then added the ro then a leachate pump then apolishing filter and then a tank and last a uv lamp. The end result was water that was outstanding.

Sorta like this system except i added the uv lamp

AP-RO5P

Old 02-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
bfloyd4445"anyone using a reverse osmosis water system in their boat? I'm never seen one and am thinking of installing one myself. You can never be sure how pure the water is you load in the tank so it seems like a good idea to me at least for cooking and drinking water."

Do you have the lead issues in mind or just dodgy water in general?
Actually i have grown so fond of the outstanding tasting water from the system i have in my ca. home that i would like to take it on board. Currently i fill jugs up and then take them on board but they take up room and since the boat already has a water tank I thought the simple thing would be to just filter it. I mean we always can use the extra storage on board if we leave the jub ashore right?

I also have aq problem with chemicals leaching out of plastic hoses and tanks which the ro system would take care of. We only have one life and i am not inclined towards knowingly ingesting possible toxics
Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #24
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
MurrayM;"We drank water from a trickle in the corner of a beach on Porcher Island that was so brown you couldn't see through it, and it had a foamy head over an inch thick."

Yep, we call that beer down here.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I use a PUR filter on my galley faucet for all drinking and cooking water. Very effective and the new ones have a light that tells you when it's time to change the filter.
As previously posted, I do what Keith does at the galley faucet but I also have a GE inline filter (quick disconnected) immediately downstream of the FW pump. I change both filters once a year and the water is great! No smell, hose taste, etc. and the water tastes good! My tank is a hundred gallon SS. I do, however, keep some small bottled water containers in the frig for the guest skeptics. The bottles are filled by the Water Boy whole house system that I have at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Boy.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	16354  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
MurrayM;"We drank water from a trickle in the corner of a beach on Porcher Island that was so brown you couldn't see through it, and it had a foamy head over an inch thick."

But it usually comes in sealed containers. A beer creek is pretty exciting!
Andy, what bay is that in your new avatar. My guess, Houseboat Bay?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:

Murray, if that tasted like beer it likely was beer, but not Porcher likely Porter!

If it wasnt beer what had you been drinking to make you drink brown water......brown frothy water????
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
So you filter and ro the city water that you put in your 15L containers?Thats what i do but I'm getting tired of doing that and wondering if anyone has an on board system i8n use. I guess those that choose to go that route go with a sea water purification system but they are so expensive
thanks for the info
No, you read me wrong, we just have a fairly efficient filter on our domestic city supply, (like BruceK) and use that filtered water on the boat. I tastes great, and is so quick and easy to do, just taking down a couple 15L containers with taps we sit up above the galley. We don't reverse osmosis treat it as well, that would be pointless. Actually, you can purify water too much. We have a full reverse osmosis set-up installed, but never bother to use it now because it wastes a lot of water in the process, (the run-off), and tastes...well...tasteless.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #29
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
If it wasnt beer what had you been drinking to make you drink brown water......brown frothy water????
Ya gatta do what ya gotta do

It was towards the flat-ish north end of the island, and there was no creek to top off our water bottles. The only moving water was a trickle running down a crack in some bedrock at the end of the beach which came from bogs inland.

Here's a gross water story. Some Forestry Technicians I know were working a mountainside, and always stopped for a break and a drink at the same stream. One day one of them hiked up slope to check out a waterfall they could hear. When he got there, he discovered a very dead and very old bloated moose calf floating in lazy circles around the pool at the base of the falls. None of them ever got sick, but they sure stopped drinking from that stream!!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #30
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Britt, I don't think you want to use a low pressure RO system in the fresh water supply of your boat. An RO system discards much of the water pumped through it and would waste a lot of your fresh water. I would recommend you first put your water through a particulate filter then a charcoal filter. If you put clean water in the tank to begin with, you should be in good shape. I like to clean my water system with Puriclean every so often. http://www.cleantabs.co.uk/default.htm
If the water you put in the tanks is brown and foamy or you're just not sure about it I would treat it with Clean Tabs to kill the bad stuff.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #31
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
... When we tested bottled water at the request of the attorney general years ago we found bottled water that was like untreated city tape water...
I was talking to a guy from our Water District. He said they use the same testing lab as the big, name-brand Maine water company. And our tap water consistently scores better than theirs.

At work (different town) they replaced the water coolers with high-tech RO systems because this town is known for poor tap water. I've heard that the RO process removes the dissolved air, which affects the taste. I also read somewhere that this system puts back "minerals" to "improve" the taste. My guess would be the "minerals" they put back are salt. Most Americans love the taste of salt.

Now it tastes like bilge water. I liked the old tap water better.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
There are different membranes for different types of water; the under the counter sink type run at ~50 psi, brackish water ~100-225 psi and salt water membranes run at 800-900 psi. Each application has specific membrane and operating pressures. You can google Dow/Filmteck membranes if you want more info.

If we take on water, everything gets filtered (particulate and carbon) before it goes into the tanks.
You can use a high pressure membrane in any kind of water if you have an adjustable back pressure regulator. I built a 20 gph water maker for our last boat and we made fresh water in all kinds of conditions by adjusting the back pressure to produce 20 gph. In fresh or brakish water, less back pressure, salt water more back pressure.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
No, you read me wrong, we just have a fairly efficient filter on our domestic city supply, (like BruceK) and use that filtered water on the boat. I tastes great, and is so quick and easy to do, just taking down a couple 15L containers with taps we sit up above the galley. We don't reverse osmosis treat it as well, that would be pointless. Actually, you can purify water too much. We have a full reverse osmosis set-up installed, but never bother to use it now because it wastes a lot of water in the process, (the run-off), and tastes...well...tasteless.
I understand. The best tasting water i have ever drank comes out of the ground in Siskiyou county. The water takes four hundred years to percolate through the volcanic rock before it reappears in different locations in the valley. The water is so pure out of the ground nothing can live or grow in ponds the springs are always areas with no life just pure water.
When we started testing water back in the eighties I began to get very suspicious of city water even if procured from pure sources because many cities are still using piping from the 1800's some like which in the Pacific North West were even made of redwood and lead pipes. Sacramento California still has some redwood piping under ground from the 1800's according to the city water department.
For me the first criteria is health, the second is taste in regards to water. There are people that drink distilled water which would be devoid of all minerals and other trace elements but can still contain some light end voc's that boil at a lower temperature than water. Laboratory grade distilled water must be pre filtered then it goes through at least one distillation section sometimes more before it is suitable for critical lab work as a solvent. Some of the big heads at work used to only drink the tasteless water from our lab even used it for coffee, talk about awful coffee<smile>
I, like you, would rather assume some risk and have taste in my drinking water. With reverse osmosis membranes there is still some trace elements that get into your water but properly configured they can produce incredibly good tasting water.
In our boats, some of which are a bit long in the tooth, there are many different kinds of water tanks all of which may have become contaminated mover time or made of polymers that can under the right conditions contaminate our water and affect our health. I for one don't wish to replace the tank and am tired of hauling jugs then having to deal with them rattling around when out so have decided to do something about it.

Best wishes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #34

City: Homosassa River, FL
Vessel Name: Mango Mama
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36
We use an 8 stage whole house water filter for the fresh water system. Around $600 and the water is essentially pure. Besides great filtration and lead and arsenic, it removes the chlorine and other chemicals created by the chlorine reactions.

whole house water filters
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
We use an 8 stage whole house water filter for the fresh water system. Around $600 and the water is essentially pure. Besides great filtration and lead and arsenic, it removes the chlorine and other chemicals created by the chlorine reactions.

whole house water filters
thanks for the link. Whole house system. Don't think i can do that in oregon because of the hard water.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Whole house system. Don't think i can do that in oregon because of the hard water.
You've got to be kidding me! We have some of the hardest water in the country, here in San Diego and my whole house system works great!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
You've got to be kidding me! We have some of the hardest water in the country, here in San Diego and my whole house system works great!
i would have thought i would first need to soften the water? what kind do you have?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Kuwait
Vessel Name: Suzi 4
Vessel Model: 30ft Fibreglass SomethingCraft, 1976
These guys are vendors over on CF (so support them, they help keep thses sites free!): Water Filters And Purifiers

They sell a system which purifies water without chemicals, but by filtration. It's exactly what we use here in Kuwait, where the water fed through older pipes has a tendency to come out brown...!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
The water is so pure out of the ground nothing can live or grow in ponds the springs are always areas with no life just pure water.

Citations, please.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #40
Guru

You should consider that if you treat water from your on board tank by reverse osmosis you will be "discarding" a significant proportion of your tankage over the side. The RO process typically "rejects" about 2/3 of the water it purifies. If you are are concerned about minor contaminants or flavor issues with your tank water, just use a purifier such as a "Brita" that just requires direct passage through a filter/ion exchange cartridge.
Now on the other hand, if you are talking about purifying the water around the outside of the boat, that it different., but as mentioned above, desalination of seawater requires a high pressure system (800psi) and different membranes compared to cleaning up fresh river water.

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote