PuraSan in 1978 34 Mainship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clynn

Vessel Name
Ivory Lady
Vessel Make
46 Jefferson
Odd question. My dad wants to pull the Traveler head with holding tank and replace is with a PuraSan system. It's a 1978 34 Mainship. I think it's possible, but he would likely lose the ability to have a holding tank. Has anyone done this? Cost isn't a factor.

The Traveler is a self contained system...the toilet sits atop the tank, so there's no way to bypass the tank. So he'd have to replace it with a toilet, the PuraSan and a small (10-15 gal) tank to use if/when he visits a "no discharge" area or marina...and all the related plumbing.

Raritan does offer a "bundle" that combines the PS with a tank...the Hold 'n' Treat system. Raritan Hold N'Treat Bundle I'm not crazy about it because everything flushes into the tank which can be pumped out or emptied through the PuraSan (or ElectroScan). IMO that defeats the whole reason for having the ability to treat and discharges each flush.

They do also offer just the Hold'n'Treat controls holdntreat controls which allow the tank and Type I to be stand-alone devices, but make it possible for the treatment device to be used to empty the tank. A y-valve in the toilet discharge line provides a choice of going directly overboard through the treatment device or into the tank when you have to use a tank.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Last edited:
We were talking about it this weekend and I told him that there was this lady named Peggy on Trawler Forum that would know the answer;)

He rarely leaves the slip and really doesn't want to go pump out. He wants it all to magically go away. I like the idea of the dual system setup. Could he have a PuraSan and a separate holding tank with a manually controlled Y valve or would he need to the Hold'n'Treat controls to tell the PuraSan when to work? If that would work in theory, I'm still not sure that we could find room in the bilge to fit it all.

I really appreciate all the knowledge you share with this forum!

He may need to check to see if his marina will allow a type 1 system at the dock.

The Traveler is a self contained system...the toilet sits atop the tank, so there's no way to bypass the tank. So he'd have to replace it with a toilet, the PuraSan and a small (10-15 gal) tank to use if/when he visits a "no discharge" area or marina...and all the related plumbing.

Raritan does offer a "bundle" that combines the PS with a tank...the Hold 'n' Treat system. Raritan Hold N'Treat Bundle I'm not crazy about it because everything flushes into the tank which can be pumped out or emptied through the PuraSan (or ElectroScan). IMO that defeats the whole reason for having the ability to treat and discharges each flush.

Peggie, wouldn't it be possible to keep the Traveler, and combine it's existing holding tank with the rest of a Hold 'n' Treat system?

-Chris

Could he have a PuraSan and a separate holding tank with a manually controlled Y valve or would he need to the Hold'n'Treat controls to tell the PuraSan when to work? If that would work in theory, I'm still not sure that we could find room in the bilge to fit it all.

The Hold 'n' Treat has nothing to do with whether the toilet flushes into the tank or into PuraSan...it only provides an alternative to pumping the tank when inside the "3 mile limit." So all he'd need would be a y-valve to provide a choice of going overboard via the PS or into the tank. There's really not that much to fit, and they don't have to be right next to the toilet or each other, so I'm sure we can find room for a small tank that he'll rarely if ever use and a PuraSan on a 34' boat.

We also need to discuss the best toilet for his boat and needs..

...wouldn't it be possible to keep the Traveler, and combine it's existing holding tank with the rest of a Hold 'n' Treat system?

It's possible...in fact I considered the idea, 'cuz I really like the elegance of the simplicity of the Traveler. But I keep coming back to, what's the point of having a treatment device if you still have to use the tank--a tank you'd still have to maintain the same as you would without a treatment device. Eliminating the need to find a pumpout would be the only benefit.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Last edited:
...wouldn't it be possible to keep the Traveler, and combine it's existing holding tank with the rest of a Hold 'n' Treat system?

It's possible...in fact I considered the idea, 'cuz I really like the elegance of the simplicity of the Traveler. But I keep coming back to, what's the point of having a treatment device if you still have to use the tank--a tank you'd still have to maintain the same as you would without a treatment device. Eliminating the need to find a pumpout would be the only benefit.

Just that would be a big improvement, for us.

We had a Traveler in our 34' Mainship; worked very well, not much maintenance that I remember. (Can't remember any, actually, other than pump-outs.)

Even with our current, nominally much larger, tank... eliminating or at least reducing the futzing around with frequent pump-outs -- with a Hold 'n' Treat and using our existing tank -- would be an improvement. OTOH, after doing some pricing... there are always other projects bubbling up higher in the priority list :)

-Chris

So would the recommendation be a new vacuflush head, PuraSan box, and no holding tank? This would include complete removal of the Traveler head and tank. We would need two new holes in the hull for the water in and out, right? Anything else? The boat is being pulled in the spring, so likely the work would take place at that point.

NO to the VacuFlush...you don't need the components for it taking up room in the bilge that's needed for a tank and the PuraSan, and besides there are better less expensive choices that have all the "works" in the toilet. and are also designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water (eliminating the need for a new intake thru-hull. But he will need a small (12-15 gal) tank, even if he never uses it.

The Raritan Marine Elegance is the top rated macerating electric toilet...was rated "Editors Choice" by Practical Sailor a few years ago, and I think it's the perfect choice for your dad's use of the boat. Raritan had a very nice promo sheet on their website, but whoever they hired to update the site seems to have decided it wasn't necessary (the whole site is a disaster now IMO!)...this U-Tube video is the best I could find:

Since none of this is likely to happen before spring, we have plenty of time to brainstorm all the options. Meanwhile, get a quote from Hop-Car (he owns Hopkins-Carter Marine and has very good prices for forum members) for the toilet, PuraSan and hoses...Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. We can discuss the details--size, location, fittings locations--when he's ready to proceed.

Where is he, btw? If he's also in Memphis, he's only about a 2 hour drive from me...I'll be glad to help spec it all out.

Peggie

Thanks for the great info, Peggy! His boat is on the Cumberland River in Nashville.

Hi Peggie
I have read your book and have a few questions as I attempt to eliminate the odor from my sanitation system aboard a 2007 Mainship 400. Could you please email me captainhondo@gmail.com
Thanks!
Randy

Back
Top Bottom