Pump-out troubleshooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sea Q
Is your new product available in stores? What’s it called? Really like No Flex.

Noflex is on Amazon and ebay working on prime but its always cheaper at the stores
Zaal toilet bowl cleaner is distributed by Western Marine in Canada
Steveston Marine should have it or can get it.
it new so there are not many carrying it yet
Fishery supplies carries it and sales have been brisk for such a new product

Noflex is on Amazon and ebay working on prime but its always cheaper at the stores
Zaal toilet bowl cleaner is distributed by Western Marine in Canada
Steveston Marine should have it or can get it.
it new so there are not many carrying it yet
Fishery supplies carries it and sales have been brisk for such a new product

Fisheries Supply sure carries a great selection of everything. FWIW, I bought a 6 pack of No-flex from Fisheries and I recall the price was pretty good.

I've been using Raritan C.P. for the toilet as well as using it in my shower sump. So far I've not noticed any problems with scale, but then I suppose I wouldn't unless I actually looked. :eek:

I just ordered some Noflex on Amazon. It would be nice to be able to get it Prime though. Where we live there aren’t any places locally to get much marine equipment so I order it online. Amazon is so easy with one click that I am willing to pay a bit more for the convenience.

I didn't realize that Sea Q is Dave Stranks when I posted my comment above. Throughout my 30 years in this business the "woods" have been over-populated with boat owners who've been sure they've developed the next miracle product destined to take the marine market by storm. They spent buckets of money--usually other people's-- on slick magazine ads and boat show booths...and were gone in a year. I thought "Sea Q" was another one! Dave was kind enough to send me a very nice email last night letting me know I'd jumped to the wrong conclusion!

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Sea Q keeps a very low profile when it comes to his products here on TF.

People have been taken in by the flashy advertising and the false promises of what a product does and they are not happy .
I would rather have my products promoted by word of mouth as working the way they should for a change.
So I stay low key and listen to what people say.
Being into boating so developing products for my own use and friends is fun. I have only about 5 main products for marine.
"Fisheries Supply" carries it all.They like my stuff and always get positive feedback from Customers on all Zaal products.
Peggy knows her stuff

People have been taken in by the flashy advertising and the false promises of what a product does and they are not happy .
I would rather have my products promoted by word of mouth as working the way they should for a change.
So I stay low key and listen to what people say.
Being into boating so developing products for my own use and friends is fun. I have only about 5 main products for marine.
"Fisheries Supply" carries it all.They like my stuff and always get positive feedback from Customers on all Zaal products.
Peggy knows her stuff

A very good way to build I look forward to trying your product and yes Peggie does know her stuff we found her long before I found this forum

I have been getting great advice from Peggie for almost 20years.

Pumpout Adaptor Question Please

Hi

I have a Marine Trader built in Taiwan. I am in Florida. I need a pumpout however the screw-in adaptors will not fit the thread on deck.

The 1 1/4" is too small, the 1 1/2" too large. Now I am thinking that it must me a metric fitting that I need.

I removed the pump-out cap and measured the thread at Ace Hardware. The cap thread measures 4.3 centimeters OD .

No one stocks it locally and I can not locate one online. So my question is two fold please;

1. Does anyone know where I can order a metric adaptor?

2. If not, can anyone tell me if the universal adptor with slashguard actually works- and without a mess?
pumpout-nozzle-with-splash-guard-x-1-5-hose-barb-272hb-150-sg

Thanks in advance

A machine shop could easily make a sizing ring that accepts the 1-1/2" pumpout adapter and screws into your deck fitting.

Did you or the hardware store identify it as metric thread?
You may have 2 issues, thread type,and size.

A lot of boat stuff sold here is metric.1.5"=38mm, 38mm is a common size, we went metric years ago.

Your 4.3 cm(43mm)= 1.7"(sorry that mixes in metric).

It could be British pipe thread. I’ve looked for the same fitting over the past 15 years and never found a match. On the other hand I’ve never needed it as all my pump outs have used a rubber cone up and down the east coast.

"Yes, but I would prefer not swimming in the head discharge."

Tell that to the local municipalities ,

In LI Sound almost every summer there is an "emergency" (same towns) that requires a few million gallons of raw sewage to be released for a few weeks.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. C. Welcome aboard. You couldn't be in a better place to find your fitting. Try West Marine on S. Andrews or Sailorman (close by). You may have to order from WM. Go to the counter at the back of the store. Our deck fitting adapter is "weird" as well and they were able to order one in. As I recall, ours is 11 TPI (threads per inch). Can't remember the diameter. Take your cap in so THEY can measure it.

The other alternative is to get a new deck fitting. The screw in adapter makes life so much easier than using the "cone". The special order desk at BOW is excellent too, by the way.

Funny thing
I hear they will not be calling pipe fittings male or female anymore
its going to be changed to inter and outer threads

This is the solution to your problem. seaLand nozall Note that there are several different sizes, so you'll have to measure the diameter and the TPI (threads per inch) to sure of getting the right one.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Follow up on the failed pump-outs -- I left the TankRx in the tank for a total of 11 days. On Friday did another pump-out - pump-out still failed at the 1/2 tank level. I have added a small amount of additional TankRx.

In the meantime I am going to take a closer look at other alternatives. Not having a working system onboard is definitely limiting my enjoyment of spending time on the boat. I am going to see what will be involved to pull the floor to replace the tank.

At this point I also want to get whatever info I can get on the cost of having a new system installed. Any feedback on choosing between a Raritan Marine Elegance set up and a Vacuflush? The boat is a an '82 Mainship 34 Mk1.

Raritan Elegance was our choice for our 1980 MK1 with the control panel options of water only, flush, empty only and water saver flush (does the job majority of the time) . There is no vacuum generator involved with the Elegance and I can assure you the flush is powerful. Installation of toilet was simple compared to holding tank install and floor replacement. I followed the measurements listed in Mainship Yahoo group library section for cutting out the floor to install tank. If you would like further discussion send me a PM with your phone # for discussion.

Attachments

• IMG_1610 (2).jpg
    IMG_1610 (2).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1609 (2).jpg
    IMG_1609 (2).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 55
On Friday did another pump-out - pump-out still failed at the 1/2 tank level.

If the tank discharge fitting is on the top of the tank with a pickup tube inside the tank, the most likely culprit is a failed pickup tube...that it's corroded and developed pinholes or even fallen off below the halfway point in the tank. The solution: replace the pickup tube with PVC pipe.

At this point I also want to get whatever info I can get on the cost of having a new system installed. Any feedback on choosing between a Raritan Marine Elegance set up and a Vacuflush?

A new toilet won't solve your pumpout problem. However, the Marine Elegance is the top rated electric macerating toilet and has all its "works" in the pedestal. I know of at least two retailers who have it for about $650 INCLUDING the $150 optional "smart flush" panel.
Hopkins Carter Marine Raritan Marine Elegance

Boatersland Marine Elegance

The V/Flush doesn't macerate and has a "vacuum generator" that takes up quite of a bit of room in the bilge. Not a very convenient location in which to do any maintenance. Price for an installed VacuFlush can be much higher depending on how much labor is needed.

Peggie

Last edited:
You can get a rubber "universal" fitting that has a rubber flange that seals to the top of the discharge ftg and doesn't rely on threads. They work very well. Easy to add adapters to dfferent pipe or quick connect ftgs.
Also if some leakage present flood the ftgs w water from a hose... prevents sucking air and breaking the vacuum draw.

Peggie, between the Raritan Elegance, Techma, and Dometic Masterflush, which is the most clog and problem free? 2nd, which is the easiest to get to and service, in the event of the dreaded problem?

I'd be replacing a vacuflush.

At this point I also want to get whatever info I can get on the cost of having a new system installed. Any feedback on choosing between a Raritan Marine Elegance set up and a Vacuflush? The boat is a an '82 Mainship 34 Mk1.

Then maybe your original system is a Sealand Traveler? Sort of a direct dump?

If so, maybe keep that, and just add a larger holding tank, or maybe a Purasan Hold 'n' Treat system (at greater expense).

-Chris

Peggie, between the Raritan Elegance, Techma, and Dometic Masterflush, which is the most clog and problem free? 2nd, which is the easiest to get to and service, in the event of the dreaded problem?
I'd be replacing a vacuflush.

The Elegance and Tecma are about tied for most clog and problem free...the Elegance is the quietest--a LOT quieter than either of 'em. Access to service 'em--which is rarely needed unless things go down 'em that shouldn't have--is about the same for all of 'em. The MasterFlush is (or was when they first introduced it...not 100% certain that remained true after Dometic bought SeaLand) SeaLand's private label version of the SaniMarin, which is a lower quality clone of the Tecma made by French company with manufacturing in Romania.

Peggie

You can get a rubber "universal" fitting that has a rubber flange that seals to the top of the discharge ftg and doesn't rely on threads. They work very well. Easy to add adapters to dfferent pipe or quick connect ftgs.
Also if some leakage present flood the ftgs w water from a hose... prevents sucking air and breaking the vacuum draw.

Unless you jam it into the fitting and then stand there keeping it jammed in tight, it's GONNA leak!

Peggie

Unless you jam it into the fitting and then stand there keeping it jammed in tight, it's GONNA leak!

Peggie
Peggie
I agree and dislike the tapered rubber ends.
I've had much better results with the rubber ones rhat also have a top hat sort of rubber flange approx 1"+ wide that seals to the tpp of the deck fitting.
The vacuum generated holds it in place very well and doesn't require the down force.
Not where I can search & link but the fts are very different looking.

Follow up on the failed pump-outs -- I left the TankRx in the tank for a total of 11 days. On Friday did another pump-out - pump-out still failed at the 1/2 tank level. I have added a small amount of additional TankRx.

In the meantime I am going to take a closer look at other alternatives. Not having a working system onboard is definitely limiting my enjoyment of spending time on the boat. I am going to see what will be involved to pull the floor to replace the tank.

I installed an Elegance head with the smart flush switch last summer and the installation went smooth and the toilet's operation is easy and efficient. Picked it up from Defender Marine and found their price to be the cheapest online.

Back on the pumpout fitting, shirt term get a cone fitting with camlock. For a longer term solution, change the deck fitting to one with a std fitting thread.

There are a fe Asian deck fitting manufacturers who use threads that exist nowhere else on the planet except their shop. Mine are std 1-1/2” pipe thread diameter, but 14 tpi rather than the std 11.5. After much fussing with Custome adapters, I finally realized it was much easier and cheaper to replace the deck fitting. SeaDog makes a nice line of stainless deck fills for about $50 each.

Hears a thought hook up the pump out line to the over the side dump macerator line then turn the dump macerator on while vacuuming. And leave the cap off the pump out.
The macerator sucks from the very bottom of the tank so it should empty the tank completely.

Back
Top Bottom