Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Suggest you take a look at Safe Boat Propane Installations

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
How do folks store their outdoor cooker propane? We just bought a table-top Cuisinart CGG-306, and will need to find a place for the tank. There is a bulwark around the back porch, several scuppers, but also the gutter and drains for the lazarette hatch. I'd like to mount the cooker to the outside of the rail so that it's both out of the way and excess fats that are not caught in the drip pan go over the side. The thing is made for a normal 20lb tank. We used to have a Magma on the pushpit of the sailboat which used only a 2lb bottle; we kept the 'next' bottles in a canvas bag on deck.

As is apparently in common with other Taiwanese-builds, the galley cooker's tank is in the flybridge enclosure, it did not have, but will receive a proper mounting, solenoid, etc.

DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:31 PM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. DH. Convert the cooker to small bottles and refill them.
Propane Bottle Refill Kit
Old 04-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
How do folks store their outdoor cooker propane? We just bought a table-top Cuisinart CGG-306, and will need to find a place for the tank. There is a bulwark around the back porch, several scuppers, but also the gutter and drains for the lazarette hatch. I'd like to mount the cooker to the outside of the rail so that it's both out of the way and excess fats that are not caught in the drip pan go over the side. The thing is made for a normal 20lb tank. We used to have a Magma on the pushpit of the sailboat which used only a 2lb bottle; we kept the 'next' bottles in a canvas bag on deck.

As is apparently in common with other Taiwanese-builds, the galley cooker's tank is in the flybridge enclosure, it did not have, but will receive a proper mounting, solenoid, etc.
Run another properly protected line from your already properly installed propane locker.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #25
Guru

Good thought, RT; I had considered changing the hose fitting on the Cuisinart to accept bottles. Our outdoor cooker gas consumption has been 3-4 2lb bottles per year so it's not been a onerous problem.

Good thought, BP; I had considered that, too. Though it sounds like a lot of fuss-n-feathers to do the job elegantly. Running/fishing tubing and a second switch leg for the solenoid from flybridge to back porch, tee and valve at the tank, making a neat little watertight, but vented, enclosure for the connection and new switch.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #26
Guru

RT, an adapter for connecting between the fitting suiting a 20lb tank and a 1 or 2 lb bottle are readily available. $10-20. Adapters for refilling 1 or 2lb bottles from a 20lb tank are also readily available. Hoses with end fittings suitable for running equipment made for either 20lb tanks or 1 or 2 lb bottles from either fuel source are readily available as well. The usual 20 lb male tank fitting is called 'POL'. The male bottle fitting is called a 'QCC1'. No thinking required, just dough. Also available are adapters for connecting multiple tanks simultaneously. Who knew? And who would want more than exactly the needed choice on a boat?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I don't think it's legal to refill the small "throwaway" propane canisters but I'm sure that's not stopping some folks from doing it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Just illegal to transport them on the road....not sure if on a boat it would be considered transport....at least that was the warning on my refill adapter.

There used to be many you tube videos on how to do it.

Still plenty of adapters out there for sale...even from Walmart.....liability can't be too huge.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Enerco-Mr-...apter/21799898
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #29
FF
Guru

When outfitting boats we always use a quality switch (Cole Hersy) that also turns on a red light at eye level.

For folks cruising we add a mechanical 1 or 2 hour timer that must also be wound.

A rum & coke or 5 makes it EZ to forget to turn off the switch,

Both must operate to have a gas flow.

A propane bilge sniffer is also a great idea, many will secure the gas as well as sound a warning.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #30
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
When outfitting boats we always use a quality switch (Cole Hersy) that also turns on a red light at eye level.

For folks cruising we add a mechanical 1 or 2 hour timer that must also be wound.
That is a great idea. In my boat the switch is lit and is incorporated into the LPG sniffer. When it is power up from the DC panel, you can't turn on the solenoid until after the sniffer has operated for a very short time. During this time the power light flashes. When it is solid green, you can then turn on the solenoid and get another light. This control is at eye level next to the stove/oven. I do like the idea of a mechanical timer though.

I tested my propane system last weekend and was not happy. I get no pressure drop from the tank to the solenoid after 3-5 minutes of the tank being closed. However, I do get a pressure drop downstream from the solenoid with the tank closed after 3-5 minutes. This means I have a small leak in the system somewhere, likely inside the boat. It will be a challenge to track down. I am hoping that it is at a fitting on the stove so is readily accessible.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #31
Guru

City: kemah
Thread steal...

I am going to do away with the gas stove/oven in the boat with an induction stove. ?Whats the opinion of not using a solenoid in the case where the only propane use is on the flybridge for a builtin bbq grill?

FF the timer is a great thing and the reason for it hits home solidly.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

I tested my propane system last weekend and was not happy. I get no pressure drop from the tank to the solenoid after 3-5 minutes of the tank being closed. However, I do get a pressure drop downstream from the solenoid with the tank closed after 3-5 minutes. This means I have a small leak in the system somewhere, likely inside the boat. It will be a challenge to track down. I am hoping that it is at a fitting on the stove so is readily accessible.
I believe that's a normal leakdown rate, but I'll wait for the pros to chime in. I just read it somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember where. Maybe BoatUS Seaworthy?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just illegal to transport them on the road....not sure if on a boat it would be considered transport....at least that was the warning on my refill adapter.

There used to be many you tube videos on how to do it.

Still plenty of adapters out there for sale...even from Walmart.....liability can't be too huge.

Enerco - Mr Heater F276172 Propane Tank Refill Adapter - Walmart.com
The problem with refilling the small "one time use" cylinders is that the valves aren't made with the intention of being refilled over and over. They can leak and that is the problem.

If you stored them in a propane locker, this wouldn't be a problem, they would just empty themselves. Same with storing them outdoors at home. Store them in an enclosed space like so many folks do and you have a potential explosion.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I believe that's a normal leakdown rate, but I'll wait for the pros to chime in. I just read it somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember where. Maybe BoatUS Seaworthy?
Eureka!

From BoatUS Seaworthy Magazine, April 2016, page 9

Sounds like your system is passes the ABYC standard for leakdown rate. One less thing to worry about while enjoying your nice new boat!

Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #35
Guru

No, I fail. If I open the cylinder and then close it with the solenoid open I do get a pressure drop in three minutes. I just don't get one with the eh solenoid closed, which tells me the leak is downstream from the solenoid.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
I tested my propane system last weekend and was not happy. I get no pressure drop from the tank to the solenoid after 3-5 minutes of the tank being closed. However, I do get a pressure drop downstream from the solenoid with the tank closed after 3-5 minutes.
Quote:
No, I fail. If I open the cylinder and then close it with the solenoid open I do get a pressure drop in three minutes. I just don't get one with the eh solenoid closed, which tells me the leak is downstream from the solenoid.
I based my reply on your first post that it only bleeds down "after 3-5 minutes." Now you claim it really "drop(s) in three minutes".

My read on the guidelines from BoatUS is that if the pressure stays constant for 3 minutes or more, you're OK. If it's less than a 3 minute leakdown, you need maintenance.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I based my reply on your first post that it only bleeds down "after 3-5 minutes." Now you claim it really "drop(s) in three minutes".

My read on the guidelines from BoatUS is that if the pressure stays constant for 3 minutes or more, you're OK. If it's less than a 3 minute leakdown, you need maintenance.
I will double check to see what the drop is at 3 minutes.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #38
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
The problem with refilling the small "one time use" cylinders is that the valves aren't made with the intention of being refilled over and over. They can leak and that is the problem.

If you stored them in a propane locker, this wouldn't be a problem, they would just empty themselves. Same with storing them outdoors at home. Store them in an enclosed space like so many folks do and you have a potential explosion.
Never had a problem in 30 years....

Usually rotate cylinders out after a few years as they get rusty anyhow.

Like all things, you just have to be smarter than what you are working with.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #39
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
They should be in a propane locker. The propane locker is sealed, the lid is on the top and it has a vent through to the outside of the boat near the waterline. The vent hose goes down without any loops. There should be a pressure gauge and solenoid.
Yes. That's what I meant. I have mine in a locker under the seat on the flybridge. Room for three bottles, with solenoid and pressure gauge.

Though most sail boats I've seen just have them stored on deck someplace.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #40
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
I will double check to see what the drop is at 3 minutes.
Now I'm confused.

When you open the bottle valve and solenoid, you should see a pressure drop as it fills the hoses in the system. Now it depends on the last time they were used and your shutoff procedure, but...

Also, don't get caught up in "3 minutes", so if it's 3.1 it's OK? Obviously NOT.

Once your system is pressurized and nothing is on, then there should be NO continued pressure drop, like forever, or until the the next cold season, whichever comes first.

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote