Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Somewhat like politics these days, facts don't seem to matter. A BTU is a measure that is directly related to the amount of time it will take you to boil a pot of water. Therefore, as long as the burner is capable of also putting out low heat for simmering, more BTU's are definitely better than fewer. So, statements to the effect that my wife loves the thing do not really trump measurements of the energy output of a stove.

So, unless you prefer a stove that will take longer to boil the water for your morning tea or coffee, you should pick one with higher BTU output over one with less.
Guess I will never get that pot of peanut oil to boil on my Force 10 so I can throw my 20 pound turkey in this Thanksgiving....

Sure more is better...but only if you need it. Heck some boaters never even use their stoves...so btus are meaningless to them.

The 8000 or so btu burner on a Force 10 will get a decent pot of water boiling for pasta or lobsters in the amount of time it takes to prepare the rest of the meal and enjoy my wine.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
BTW, I am not suggesting a Force 10 is preferable to a Dickinson. We have a Dickinson BBQ and we have friends with Dickinson heating systems on their boats. Dickenson equipment is first rate in our experience and observation.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #23
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I have a three burner Force 10. The cooktop is good although I would prefer a second large burner instead of two simmer burners. The broiler is also fine. Where I think it sucks is the oven - the burner is simply a simmer burner installed in the bottom of the oven cavity. This means that the oven is slow to heat, will not get above 350 and if you open the door to peruse the contents, the temperature collapses and takes forever to re warm. I should also mention my version does not feature a thermostat (yes, that was actually an option. A lot like buying a car and having the starter optional.) so the oven is hit and miss or at best a plate warmer. I hope the company pulled it's head out and rethought this part of its product...
Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I have the Dickinson Med in my boat and I am very happy with it. Of note, the large burner puts out SO much heat that you are unlikely to ever use it unless you are boiling water. I use the two small burners every time I have need for two burners to be running.

My total propane use for 3 months of the summer, cooking daily with it was 3.2 gallons. I have a horizontal 7 gallon aluminum tank on the roof.
AKDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #25
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
In hindsight, let me quantify the burners.

I boil water for coffee daily in a 3 quart pot, the large burner even on low puts out a flame pattern larger than the bottom of the pot and soots the sides. When I said good for boiling water I mean as in a stock pot for boiling crab or making large quantities of pasta. The large burner is too hot to cook eggs and sausage in a 10" cast iron pan on the lowest setting for the burner. The small burners use less than 20% of the knob's control range to make the 10" pan hot enough to cook breakfast.
AKDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I have a three burner Force 10..... Where I think it sucks is the oven -
Hmmm.... that's not been our experience. My wife has made complete Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners on board--- turkey for the Thanksgiving meal and a big prime rib for Christmas. She's baked stuff in the oven from brownies to salmon and halibut very successfully. The oven burner in ours is rated at a bit over 5,000 BTU.

Where the oven is less than ideal is in its lack of insulation which is pretty much the nature of the beat with these smaller units. For example the prime rib cooking method she uses at home or on the boat is to get the oven as hot as it will go, put the prime rib in, cook it for 15 minutes at full blast and then turn the oven off and let it sit for an hour. Anyone who opens the oven door is summarily executed. This process and timing works perfectly regardless of the size of the prime rib.

Everything about this process works in the Force 10 except for the sitting for an hour part. The oven loses heat too fast for this to work properly. So she has to turn the over back on periodically. The end result is still great, just the process is a bit different.

One thing she discovered early on is that the removable heat distribution plate that comes with the unit must be in place near the bottom of the oven for the oven to work properly. Otherwise it cooks very unevenly and the temperature inside the oven is not consistent. This is particularly troublesome for baking.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #27
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
WE have a household stove/cooktop and would not have anything else. I fancy myself a pretty good cook and will not cook on electric. Our propane locker holds 2 20lb tanks and is on the bridge deck. We have had no problems whatever.
Previously my boat had a household electric unit. I like residential units, if they fit. I'm planning now to install a residential gas unit. The electric one worked fine - when underway it ran off the 3kw inverter. At anchor I could use it until the batteries ran down, thus minimizing genset time.
makobuilders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #28
FF
Guru

"I'm planning now to install a residential gas unit."

Even with an automatic gas shut off and a propane sensor in the bilge there is a danger in a non marine range.

A proper marine burner assembly will require a PUSH to allow the burner to turn on.

This is needed so someone brushing by the knobs wont accidentally turn the gas on.

The second difference is the low flame size will be limited to a certain flow that will not blow out with an errant breeze .An adjustment is made at the valve, for this.

Sadly in most cases the flame ,to not blow out, is too high to simmer , so a pot spacer is required under the pot.

Propane is quite safe , but the lessons of a century of use need to be observed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #29

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Another vote for the Force 10 three burner. No issues with ours, just follow the installation and owners instructions.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #30

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
We had a Force 10 three burner for 9 years. We cooked turkeys and roasts in the oven. Also baked chocolate chip cookies for the guys at the Ballard Locks. The last year we had it the electronic igniter died. The people at Sure Marine helped me diagnose it and had the part in stock. Great stove.

porman is offline   Reply With Quote