Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #61
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Yezzir Gonzo, we cook on our George Foreman grill, it sure beats gas and defers discussion about exploding butane bottles, surveyors and cupboards for propane jugs. BTW, your favorite BBQ sauce for the stuff we grill is ------ ?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #62
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No argument here, Gonzo.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #63
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
So the survey comes back and the surveyor writes up about twelve things. One stanchion had a weld crack, the coating was pealing off of some of the life lines, no Grd Fault plugs in the heads and galley and the biggie was there was no electric solenoid shut off system for the CNG tank. So my insurance company was happy to move forward with my assurance that it will all be repaired in the next 3 months.
I fixed the stanchion, put in a couple of Grd fault plugs and never did any more. Luckily the insurance company never asked for proof of repairs and I sold the boat five years later.
US and Australian insurance law may differ, but it is likely the insured`s duty of disclosure,and mutual obligations of "utmost good faith", are universal. If US law says you can obtain and maintain insurance based on a promise you don`t keep without informing the insurer, ignore this post.
If, as part of obtaining insurance, you tell the insurer certain items will be repaired in 3 months, but don`t and don`t tell the insurer, if an unrepaired item causes loss, you are in trouble with the insurance. They don`t have to ask for proof you did the repair,they rely on your assurance you would. The insurance contract is on the basis the repairs were done, as you represented.
If any of the above concerns you, ignore it and obtain your own advice.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #64
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Speaking for all the southerners here, let's make one thing PERFECTLY CLEAR! The device you cook on is NOT A BBQ... it is GRILL!!
You will have to tell the manufacturers this, not us. The "grill" we have on our boat is called a barbecue by the manufacturer, Dickinson, and the product is called a Sea-B-Que.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #65
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You will have to tell the manufacturers this, not us. The "grill" we have on our boat is called a barbecue by the manufacturer, Dickinson, and the product is called a Sea-B-Que.
Riiiight. So you believe that's a rack of ribs in the McRib just because the manufacturer says it is?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #66
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Speaking for all the southerners here, let's make one thing PERFECTLY CLEAR! The device you cook on is NOT A BBQ... it is GRILL!! Nor is inviting friends over to cook on said grill. You are not "having a BBQ". What you are doing is having a COOK-OUT!! What you cook on it could be considered BBQ if certain criteria are met, but not always. Hot dogs and hamburgers are NOT BBQ either!

Now back to your regularly scheduled argument.

Tom-
Absolutely right Tom. The only place you can enjoy a true barbeque, is here, down-under. Now here they really know how to make barbeques......
Barbeques Galore - Products - Barbeques
Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #67
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Speaking for all the southerners here, let's make one thing PERFECTLY CLEAR! The device you cook on is NOT A BBQ... it is GRILL!!

Couldn't agree more. My Weber is great for some things but I can't get pulled pork or a brisket out of it. Even ribs are difficult and very hit-or-miss. So I see one of these in my near future, maybe Christmas. But I don't see it being on the boat, ever.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #68
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Speaking for all the southerners here, let's make one thing PERFECTLY CLEAR! The device you cook on is NOT A BBQ... it is GRILL!! Nor is inviting friends over to cook on said grill. You are not "having a BBQ". What you are doing is having a COOK-OUT!! What you cook on it could be considered BBQ if certain criteria are met, but not always. Hot dogs and hamburgers are NOT BBQ either!

Tom-
Don't forget that in East (not eastern) Carolina it is a "pig picking" and Parker's corn sticks are the best.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
Couldn't agree more. My Weber is great for some things but I can't get pulled pork or a brisket out of it. Even ribs are difficult and very hit-or-miss. So I see one of these in my near future, maybe Christmas. But I don't see it being on the boat, ever.
Yes, you can do brisket on a Weber. After smoking several hours wrap it in foil for the last two hours or so. That keeps it moist and tenderizes it.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #70
Guru

Gonzo is correct here. Barbecue is a method of cooking by indirect heat in the smoke of a wood fire. What we commonly call smoking. Anything cooked over direct heat is grilled. Barbecue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In all due respect to our friends Down Under most of the cookers depicted were really grills for cooking over direct heat. Nothing wrong with that, but in the South that is not barbecue.

Texas for brisket, Memphis for ribs, East Carolina for whole pig, Tenn Ala Ga for pulled pork. Now that's barbecue cooked long and at low temps.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #71
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Riiiight. So you believe that's a rack of ribs in the McRib just because the manufacturer says it is?
Nope, but here in the real world (PNW) the device and the cooking is called "barbeque." If you folks down in flat country want to call it a grill, that's just fine with us. But don't come up here and start talking about a "grill" because everyone will think you're either talking about the front of your car or a police interview.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #72
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Yes, you can do brisket on a Weber. After smoking several hours wrap it in foil for the last two hours or so. That keeps it moist and tenderizes it.

Yeah, I know. And I could do pulled pork too. But, like with the ribs, it's a real PITA to keep feeding charcoal into the grill and trying to maintain a steady, low-and-slow temperature. The Big Green Egg is supposed to have overcome these hassles. OTOH, it's a tremendous amount of money to pay for the a couple pulled pork or brisket sandwiches with a Beefalo Bob's just down the street.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #73
Curmudgeon

No way, Marin!

And since we're already far off topic, I'll continue .... around here pit beef is a staple. I've recently heard that pit beef is a Maryland thing and is pretty much unheard of in the south. Can any of you good 'ol southern boys confirm that?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
No way, Marin!

And since we're already far off topic, I'll continue .... around here pit beef is a staple. I've recently heard that pit beef is a Maryland thing and is pretty much unheard of in the south. Can any of you good 'ol southern boys confirm that?
In the South pork is king. You can find a little beef brisket every now and then. In Texas mainly beef. Around Kansas City they have both beef and pork. The difference in the South is the sauce used on the pork. In Memphis it is a dry rub. In the Carolinas it is usually a vinegar based sauce. In other parts of the South it is a thicker sometimes molasses based sweeter sauce. They all have their fans.

You know when you are in a classy barbecue place in the South. At Dreamland Barbecue in Birmingham there is a sign over the bar that says, "No Farting".
Old 11-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #75
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
In the South pork is king.
You got that right!
Attached Thumbnails
pork.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #76
Scraping Paint

I thought Gov. Nikki Haley was going to fix that pork in a barrel thing?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #77
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Ebb food

Everything is better with bacon. And butter and well beer .

BBQ oyster wrapped in bacon or is that grilled oyster wrapped in bacon.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #78
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Oysters wrapped in bacon, GRILLED!!!! OMG you're KILLING them!!!!!! I would NEVER eat a dead oyster. It, it, it....just isn't right!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #79
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Oysters wrapped in bacon, GRILLED!!!! OMG you're KILLING them!!!!!! I would NEVER eat a dead oyster. It, it, it....just isn't right!

TC - RT and its all about the bacon.

But oysters raw yup , oyster candy ( first nations smoke ) yup, oyster stew awsome, oyster grilled and dipped in viniger and butter to die for.

I have not met an oyster I did not enjoy RT.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #80
FF
Guru

"I have not met an oyster I did not enjoy" RT.

I have had some that did not work ,

I Guess 70 isn't the new 19?
Closed Thread