Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #101
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
You can microwave bacon and it comes out just fine. We don't eat a lot of bacon, but we take the precooked, sealed bacon that needs only five or ten seconds in the microwave. I don't remember offhand if it has to be refrigerated until you cook it. Grocery stores carry it.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #102
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman
You can microwave bacon and it comes out just fine. We don't eat a lot of bacon, but we take the precooked, sealed bacon that needs only five or ten seconds in the microwave. I don't remember offhand if it has to be refrigerated until you cook it. Grocery stores carry it.
Yeah the precooked isn't bad. I actually like cooking bacon on the stove, but much more so when it takes ten minutes than thirty!!

Marin, yeah good point. It's not quite THAT bad but now that EVERY fluid is leaking it may be time to start fresh.

www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #103
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Faux bacon... Facon?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #104
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
On the back porch I have a BBQ pit, on the boat a Magma grill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pig cooked.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	14335  
Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #105
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym
Faux bacon... Facon?
Gack!! Oh hell no.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #106
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Found it lot easier to cook bacon in the oven rather than on a frying pan.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #107
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce
Found it lot easier to cook bacon in the oven rather than on a frying pan.
Lol. Once again, takes forever. Did that last Friday when we had brunch for 12 and had to cook multiple items at one time (microwaved some as well). I really prefer the outcome when I pan fry however. I like my bacon JUST SO. what can I tell you?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #108
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
. I like my bacon JUST SO. what can I tell you?
Pay close attention! ... Avoid grease spattering on one' flesh by cooking the bacon in the oven. Besides, no need to turn! Trust me. I've been cooking for more than 40 years.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #109
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce

Pay close attention! ... Avoid grease spattering on one' flesh by cooking the bacon in the oven. Besides, no need to turn! Trust me. I've been cooking for more than 40 years.
Lol then you should know how to dodge the splatter. My results from baking bacon are nothing compared to my frying results. Perfection.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #110
Scraping Paint

City: -
While I would not cook anything that's not in a can for all the money in the world, I have to agree with Jennifer on this one. Pan frying bacon yields a much better piece of bacon than cooking it in the oven in my opinion. Oven-cooked bacon always seems to come out dry which I hate but which some people might like. As far as the grease spattering thing, my wife has this wire mesh thingy that she puts on top of the frying pan that eliminates the whole flying grease deal.

My major bitch with the whole bacon thing is that gammon is not available in this country (or even in Canada which surprises me). Our Australian friends should know what it is, however.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #111
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Thanks Art. Ours is not nearly as loud as the mains but not something I want to listen to for no good reason (it is diesel). (Bacon is a fairly good reason but it takes FOREVER...) the generator leaks every fluid it contains. AND it trips it's breaker fairly frequently. Overall a complete PITA. We are debating an overhaul versus replacement. I was kinda hoping you had a recent vintage that you could recommend. we follow all the steps you mention.

I am hopeful the tripping issue may be resolved now that we had some wiring issues corrected--but other issues remain and it does impact my enjoyment of the boat as I am planning meals (when anchored out) around running my generator and not what I actually want to eat! Propane is attractive but figuring out where to install the bottles and the gas line, plus buying the appliance, is less appealing. probably pretty unlikely that I will go this way but still considering...
BTW: I love to do a lot of dinner grilling on our Maggma propane grill! Cuts down on gen set hours and gives great opportunities for some fancy grillen!

UUMMMMYYY!!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #112
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Jenifer,

Our MT 36 came with the propane tank in the brow, but I took it out one day after I opened the door to the closet in the vee berth and the propane about knocked me out. We had developed a leak and the propane entered the hanging locker through the chase that concects the lower and upper helms. I made our new propane locker out of a seat on the flybridge and ran a new line to the stove in such a way as to only allow about 4' of hose inside the boat. If I could figure out how to post pics I would show you. I wish you could just insert a jpeg.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #113
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Propane is attractive but figuring out where to install the bottles and the gas line, plus buying the appliance, is less appealing. probably pretty unlikely that I will go this way but still considering...
Jennifer, I have stayed away from this discussion because I am not ABYC certified. I am not a marine technician. Hell, I don't even know anything about MTUs. However I do know this. I had a trawler with a propane tank mounted under the flybridge dash.

Here is how it was done. Now, I don't know if it met any standards, but Matt can figure that out. There were vent holes covered by stainless steel louvers cut low in the sides of the compartment that drained the accumulated heavier than air gas over the side. There was a collar installed at the chase where the wiring and steering mechanisim came up from below. It would be easy to fabricate one of these collars. Maybe by cutting two half brackets of wood or Starboard that would fit snugly around a split PVC pipe that would be big enough to cover the hole of the chase by a good margin. Seal all seams with something like 3m 5200 or something similar. Now, the collar would have to be high enough that gas could not accumulate high enough to go down the chase to the engine room. It is not a complicated thing to do. Of course, you will have to secure the propane tank. Run a tube from the tank to the stove with no joints between. Be careful not to crimp any lines. While you are doing that install a switch wire to operate a solenoid switch at the tank. Put the switch by the stove with an on light. That's all I know about that and most anything else.

Now, how often should I use this GOJO? This stuff is drying my skin out!
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #114
Master and Commander

Quote:
Lol then you should know how to dodge the splatter. My results from baking bacon are nothing compared to my frying results. Perfection.
OK, Jennifer, whenever we "hook up," you're responsible for preparing the bacon.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #115
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If you need to seal a chase, nothing beats the products sold for this purpose at electrical supply houses or home centers. It comes in a pressurized can with a flexible nozzle. Install the nozzle on the can, stick it as far into the chase as you can, then push the button while withdrawing the can and nozzle.

It's an expanding foam that seals all gaps, is firefroof, and can be punched through and removed if you need to change something in the future.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #116
TF Site Team

We watched "Masquerade" last night (1988 films starring Rob Lowe, Kim Catrell, Meg Tilly, Doug Savant...). It has a scene that involves a sailboat, propane and a rat. YIKES. it was not an accident, however.

That foam Ron is talking about is good stuff!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #117
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Hopefuly I got this picture thing figured out and they post correctly.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0556.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	14344[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0326.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	14342   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0344.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	14343  

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #118
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Installing a proper (compliant) propane system is not difficult. We installed ours because I didn't like to start the genny to make coffee in the morning.

1st picture - There was a single pedestal helm seat here which we replaced with this box seat.
2nd picture - inside the box seat, two 20lb. tanks and a drain in the bottom
3rd picture - As the drain must lead drirectly overboard and not near any doors, windows, vents, ports, hatches etc. we ran the hose through bottom of the locker.
4th picture - The drain hose (inside the white pipe) goes through the vanity counter top in the head compartment below and out a throughhull below the sheer where it should be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	14346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	14347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	14348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	14349  
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #119
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
R2GO and bp - You both have good looking propane tank set ups. I had somewhat similar, but with cover being cockpit-floor level and with sealed FRP box extending below and intricate to the rear FRP deck in my previously owned Uniflite sedan. It was factory original.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #120
TF Site Team

thanks for the photos and ideas guys!

Closed Thread