Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
Let the propane company deal with it. I'm sure unuseable cylinders are figured into the price.
You got it!

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
The other thing some people might not know about is that you can have an non-OPD tank converted to OPD. Maybe not every type, but we have one of those narrow 1.5 gal. cylindrical aluminum tanks a lot of boaters use for a rail-mounted BBQ. They fit in a mount that clamps to a vertical rail stanchion. These tanks are not cheap and the first one we bought was before the OPD mandate. Once that mandate was in place we figured we could simpy run across the border into BC and get it filled there since as of a few years ago Canada didn't have the OPD mandate (don't know if they do now, however).

The first time we did this we had a rather spectacular accident that Carey can attest to due to lack of dilligence on the part of the kid filling the bottle. The bottle itself survived the adventure okay but we decided at that point to bite the bullet and buy a new tank of the same type but with an OPD.

Some time later I learned of a shop in one of Seattle's industrial areas that converts non-OPD tanks to OPD tanks. Gave them a call, and the cost to convert our older 1.5 gal tank to OPD was a whopping $25 plus tax. So I took it down there one lunchtime, they did an inspection and pressure test, determined it was conversion-worthy, and swapped out the valves. So now we have two legitimate OPD tanks for the barbecue.

Don't know if you can do this with every type of non-OPD tank but they had what looked like regular BBQ tanks lined up for conversion in the shop so perhaps you can.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Carry two tanks and you'll always have a long time to find a refill. I much prefer someone who will refill my tank because they will actually fill it. The trade-out people don't fill them, and they are putting less and less in all the time. Kinda like the coffee folks who put less coffee in a "1 pound" can.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"But if you use aluminum tanks made for the marine environment, particularly if they are horizontal tanks like ours, you can't exchange them."

Swoping takes care of the "marine enviroment" , let the refillers paint them .

"Your only choice is to have them refilled. Fortunately, at least in this part of the world, that is pretty easy to do."

Easy to do AT HOME , the question is when cruising , how much pain and hassle you chose to suffer?

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

"Your only choice is to have them refilled. Fortunately, at least in this part of the world, that is pretty easy to do."

Easy to do AT HOME , the question is when cruising , how much pain and hassle you chose to suffer?

FF
That's why Keith's comment about having two tanks on board makes the whole thing something of a non-issue. Unless you go through propane at a prodigious rate, when one tank runs out you'll have a lot of time to get it filled while you use the other one.

Also some boats, like ours, have propane lockers designed for fastened-down horizontal tanks. So the standard backyard BBQ tanks don't even fit unless you mount them on their sides, something I've been told is rather dangerous to do.

And while we've never had to fill a propane bottle while out on the boat-- we've run a bottle empty on occasion but we simply switch to the other tank-- we've noticed it seems to be pretty easy to find places to refill propane bottles close to the waterfronts in the communities here and in BC. Don't know about SE Alaska but I imagine it's the same.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote