Old 01-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have a 1971 Princess oven with 3 burners and the lift up top.
The door springs are unusual, they wind around the door hinge rod and are left hand and right hand wound springs.
Does anyone have a source for those door springs? One broke due to rust. I replaced with a spring, but it unwinds as the door lowers, so it can not function well. Both springs need to wind up as the door comes down.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. As to your door situation...Sorry, nothing springs to mind...

Old 01-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

HaHa, you funny guy

Maybe someone will come up with a source. I did braze the spring, but it broke in another spot. I think rust weakened the brittle spring metal. So if in rough water, the door can flop open, so I have to tie it shut.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #24
Guru

Some pics

I replaced this with a store bought spring, but it is wound wrong way

New spring

Other side spring is ok. Of course the side that is not broke, you can buy them springs.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #25

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
We are looking to do the same switch out from electric range to induction cooktop and convection microwave down the road. No problems with the setup right now, but never have used the oven so figured we could gain some storage space. Very interested on experience on the convection microwave if anyone has used as an oven replacement.

...and it looks like i may have a market when i decide to pull the stove
KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDeep View Post
We are looking to do the same switch out from electric range to induction cooktop and convection microwave down the road. No problems with the setup right now, but never have used the oven so figured we could gain some storage space. Very interested on experience on the convection microwave if anyone has used as an oven replacement.

...and it looks like i may have a market when i decide to pull the stove
We've had a convection microwave as our oven for awhile now. A couple of years? I think. It works great. Browns like a regular oven. There was one time I was cooking a frozen lasagna and it was taking forever. I was taking it to a party on land and ended up finishing cooking it in the oven there. I'm not sure what it was about that dish. Perhaps it was so large that it wasn't spinning. I can't recall now but it seems likely. I mostly cook fresh versus heating frozen on the boat (since the freezer is tiny and not very cold) and I haven't had any other issues like that.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

Maybe some one will "spring" OJ... so he can keep slapping his head forever!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #28
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Some pics

I replaced this with a store bought spring, but it is wound wrong way

New spring

Other side spring is ok. Of course the side that is not broke, you can buy them springs.
Our P - Stove's oven door also has slight case of "drop-foot" on right side. Bungee cord works OK, when needed. Will be interesting to see if anyone finds source for a new replacement set of Princess Marine Stove springs. I imagine with the thousands of these stoves made there must be a stock of OEM parts sitting on some shelf. I'll contact Hopcar and lead him to this site... to see if he has a lead on P-Stove oven door spring replacement.

Art
Old 01-28-2016, 05:51 AM   #29
Guru

For Princess ovens, there are earlier model designs, like mine from 1971.
Then there are later model designs that use a spring as found on your home stove. That is what I was told, but I can't verify this and if they switched door spring design no idea when they did that.

For mine, the door tension is adjusted by driving out the pins, then turning those slotted collars that fit on the lower door rod.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #30
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
For Princess ovens, there are earlier model designs, like mine from 1971.
Then there are later model designs that use a spring as found on your home stove. That is what I was told, but I can't verify this and if they switched door spring design no idea when they did that.

For mine, the door tension is adjusted by driving out the pins, then turning those slotted collars that fit on the lower door rod.
sd

Our Princess is a 1977ish model. I found a 1977 mechanical schematic on-line years ago and am not certain if it is for our year stove. I also do not know when Princess Stove oven doors changed in design. Oven door does not look just as yours regarding springs. Perhaps our oven door is just like yours?? Do you have 1971 schematic to share?

Thanks, Art

PS: Tried to post schematic but too many bites for TF post. Could send via email. Anyone can PM me your email address and I will send my schematic as attachment.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
sd

Our Princess is a 1977ish model. I found a 1977 mechanical schematic on-line years ago and am not certain if it is for our year stove. I also do not know when Princess Stove oven doors changed in design. Oven door does not look just as yours regarding springs. Perhaps our oven door is just like yours?? Do you have 1971 schematic to share?

Thanks, Art

PS: Tried to post schematic but too many bites for TF post. Could send via email. Anyone can PM me your email address and I will send my schematic as attachment.
Mine is a model 33.
I have the electrical wiring diagram schematic, the installation instructions and a pink booklet - manual which also shows the exploded diagram of the construction. I could scan it and post links to the images.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #32
Guru

Scanned and shared from web picasa

here is link to online album. You can download the pictures, they may look clearer.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1052489...eat=directlink
Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #33
Guru

From Art, I have the 1977 model 33 and 34 parts. They look the same to me.

here is link to online album. You can download the pictures, they will look clearer.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1052489...eat=directlink
Old 01-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #34
Guru

When I took apart my Princess stove for repair due to some rusting, I decided to paint the SS top and sides. I used Hammerite mid green color. It is a hammered finish and has stayed on the metal perfectly. It matches my kitchen countertop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hamm...ih=938#imgrc=_

I like it now so much better appearance wise. I also replaced the rusted 't' nuts that hold the top with SS 't' nuts from Ace hardware.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #35

City: Gainesville, FL
Replaced the original ca. 1988 coil-element Princess stove with a new Princess glass cooktop stove/oven combo (110v) about 18 months ago. Although the oven takes a while to warm up, my wife loves the unit. Unfortunately, after some quick internet research, it appears that Seaward has discontinued their Princess electric stove/oven combos. Too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
A - Galley Range After.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #36
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
Replaced the original ca. 1988 coil-element Princess stove with a new Princess glass cooktop stove/oven combo (110v) about 18 months ago. Although the oven takes a while to warm up, my wife loves the unit. Unfortunately, after some quick internet research, it appears that Seaward has discontinued their Princess electric stove/oven combos. Too bad.
Man, that looks nice. I'm jealous!

And disappointed that they don't make 'em any more. Not that there's anything wrong with the one I have, but it would be nice to know if the day every came, I could drop in a replacement that looks that good.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote