Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #21

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseyoung View Post
So there is no issue with free flowing water through the unpowered pump? i had considered a similar set up. I never actually did it so i didn't read up to see if that was a problem.

The one that was using had a pressure adjusting screw on the pump head. I cranked it up and got acceptable results. I don't remember the model or even the brand.
No, I have no problem with flow.

DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
If you ever use a Delavan Fatboy you will pitch all of those "marine" pumps overboard. 12 volt, 7gpm, pressure adjustable. Roof cleaners have been using them for years. I have one that is 5 years old with heavy usage, works like new. The shower is like shore based.

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
The Headhunter Mach V is standard issue on the larger Nordhavns. I've heard nothing but good reports on them.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:17 AM   #24
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
As a point of interest I recently changed my 12 Volt fresh water supply pump over to a Jabsco Sensor max VSD 17.
17 lts per minute (approx. 4 gals) variable speed so doesn't need an accumulator.
I have 2 showers and 2 sinks and this supplies all the water I require , quiet and constant pressure.
Over the last 20 years I have had numerous pumps and pump combinations on Tidahapah and I have been happiest with this little beauty.

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #25
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I have a Head Hunter, 12 v XCaliber. It was tripping a lot when I bought the boat and the yard said they were problematic. But the error lights indicated low voltage. So first-up I said I wanted to try heavier wire to reduce voltage drop. Hardly an trip-outs now. The only issue I have with it is when changing tanks - it needs a few cycles to prime. But once primed it is fine. I do have an accumulator, but basically have mains-type pressure throughout the boat.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #26
FF
Guru

On DC pumps many times the size of the motor is the problem.

The units that are built to run as wash down pumps usyally have the same water moving parts but a 2x or 3x sized motor.

For folks that run the dishwasher , washing machine and take a shower at the same time , it might be enough IF the delivery system is a generous size.

5/8 flair copper tubing , kills bugs , available worldwide.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
We have had years of very good service (full time live aboard and cruising) and great capacity/pressure from a FloJet shallow well pump (ours relabeled Sears Craftsman) which can be wired for 115 or 230. Perhaps not as quiet as a Headhunter, but less costly. Very easy to self-service and parts (and service if needed) available everywhere, a big advantage for cruisers. We had it in parallel with a GalleyMaid DC pump, another great piece of gear. A lot of other Hatt owners have a similar rig. You can set up parallel pumps to kick in at different pressure, so one adds boost if for some reason the other bogs down to extraordinary demand; but we never found occasion to need that with the FloJet online, a boat full of people taking showers, doing laundry, running a dishwasher, etc.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #28
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
George that's a nice set up. Very clean and easy to service. The only very small problems with using 110 V shallow well pumps is that they are not self priming and you need to run the generator to have water. You've addressed both problems with your Galley Maid. It will run on the DC system and it should prime the big pump if you ever need to.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
George that's a nice set up. Very clean and easy to service. The only very small problems with using 110 V shallow well pumps is that they are not self priming and you need to run the generator to have water. You've addressed both problems with your Galley Maid. It will run on the DC system and it should prime the big pump if you ever need to.
Thanks for the complement. Given our use of the boat, the water system is very important! The shallow well pump can run off the inverter if you wish. Priming is a total piece of cake; the GalleyMaid needs priming as well. Now if they were crammed away in some cranny of some puny engine room, it might be another consideration.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #30
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
George I bet I've sold several hundred of the stators for those Galley Maid pumps, even a few of the complete pumps, but I've always thought they were self priming.

When you said it wasn't I had to go check. I couldn't find anything about it on the Galley Maid site but I did find a picture. Sure enough there was a pipe plug on top clearly marked "Priming Plug".

I learn something every time I'm on this website
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #31

I have basically the same requirements - 2 bath sinks, 2 showers, 2 freshwater toilets plus the kitchen and o/s shower plus clothes washer. We use a stock marine (Flojet maybe) with an accumulator tank and it works great. If you need a model # let me know. We're 24 vdc but they make a 12 vdc model.

Dave
Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #32
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Well after making a trip we realized we needed a new pump that had more power so we could wash the boat, so we went ahead and are getting a Headhunter Mach 5 installed it was $700 at Lewis Marine so we got a great deal compared to what the online prices were.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399071618.720028.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	29556
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #33
FF
Guru

IF you are 120V 24/7 any domestic water pump from a big box store will work fine , and even better with the largest sized accumulator you can install.

>we have 8 various things on the fresh water system (plus the two heads)<

Hopefully only a couple are on at one time or the distribution system will need an upgrade .

For folks that just want a fine DC unit with plenty of pressure the Sureflow deck wash pumps do the job .

They are like the std water pump , but the motor is much longer , as it is expected to operate longer hours at higher pressure..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #34
Guru

Pressure water pump

Yes headhunter reccomended a accumulator so we got one. It's called a puffer. They also make it, it's about four gallons.
We chose the headhunter since they were local and all the big nordy's have them so that says something.
http://www.goodboatgear.com/detail/4...FS8V7AodswcA9Q
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 05-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
While Headhunter has a great pump, they do not make the tanks. You can save quite a bit by buying them elsewhere. I needed two of the larger spun fiberglass type for a boat a couple years ago. I ended up getting the two of them from a plumping supply house out of Miami for the price Headhunter was asking for just one of the very same tanks.

Make sure the pressure in the air bladder of the tank is set correctly. And you need to check it periodically.

For future reference, I've gotten good deals on used Headhunter pumps from Sailorman and Maga Marine Mart on Andrews Ave. Also Headhunter sometime has rebuilt ones on sale.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
While Headhunter has a great pump, they do not make the tanks. You can save quite a bit by buying them elsewhere. I needed two of the larger spun fiberglass type for a boat a couple years ago. I ended up getting the two of them from a plumping supply house out of Miami for the price Headhunter was asking for just one of the very same tanks.

Make sure the pressure in the air bladder of the tank is set correctly. And you need to check it periodically.

For future reference, I've gotten good deals on used Headhunter pumps from Sailorman and Maga Marine Mart on Andrews Ave. Also Headhunter sometime has rebuilt ones on sale.

We got ours through Lewis don't recall the price but Lewis is usually fair.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #37
Guru

Pictures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399412446.631808.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	70.1 KB