Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

City: New Bern, N.C.
Potable water testing

We have a 100 gallon glass/ply conformal water tank on the Lady J. We "shocked" the tank and lines overnight with bleach, drained, and refilled twice. The First Mate still detects an odor (not bleach) from the water. We've been using the water for washing and rinsing, but drink from bottled water. Has anyone tested their water for purity? A filter system is in future, but I'd like to know where we stand on quality right now. I don't have a problem with "city" water from any marina. Just need a starting reference. Any ideas on testing kits? Where to get and what cost? Thanks.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
For less than the price of a valid test for the chemicals that are probably the source of the aroma you can install a common household type charcoal filter and eliminate that chemical and many others.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
For less than the price of a valid test for the chemicals that are probably the source of the aroma you can install a common household type charcoal filter and eliminate that chemical and many others.
Here's the one I use & the water tastes great!

Pur Faucet Mount Filtration System FM-4100B, 3-Stage - Best Price
Attached Images

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
We have a 100 gallon glass/ply conformal water tank on the Lady J. We "shocked" the tank and lines overnight with bleach, drained, and refilled twice. The First Mate still detects an odor (not bleach) from the water. We've been using the water for washing and rinsing, but drink from bottled water. Has anyone tested their water for purity? A filter system is in future, but I'd like to know where we stand on quality right now. I don't have a problem with "city" water from any marina. Just need a starting reference. Any ideas on testing kits? Where to get and what cost? Thanks.
Check places that sell water softeners, etc....they often test as they are the ones that with the test certify occupancy in places that require a water test when buying a home.

Not sure that the basic test ($35-$50) will cover everything...just that it's safe enough for a house to be sold.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
It sounds like the OP needs to test for volatile organics like styrene and I don't think the Culligan man does that. At least not for that price.

But if the smell didn't exist before the shocking experience, it is probably just a dead mouse or something.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Any environmental testing laboratory (check your phone book) can test your water for National EPA Drinking Water Standards. That's what I did with my aluminum tanks. They can test for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and bacteria common to drinking water. Cost shouldn't exceed $135.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Any environmental testing laboratory (check your phone book) can test your water for National EPA Drinking Water Standards. That's what I did with my aluminum tanks. They can test for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and bacteria common to drinking water. Cost shouldn't exceed $135.

I have an account with a local testing lab and with my volume discount get them done for about $85-95/each(can't remember) Two day turn around from dropping off the sample till I receive results. They don't miss much

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
[QUOTE=RickB; But if the smell didn't exist before the shocking experience, it is probably just a dead mouse or something.[/QUOTE]

YIKES, how would a mouse get electrocuted while inside the tank? ....Arctic Traveller
Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
... it is probably just a dead mouse or something.
Rural folk here, dependant on tank water, say without a dead pigeon or possum inside the tank the water has no flavor.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #10

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Bilgewater,

Just my opinion from growing up in Conneaut, (between Cleveland and Buffalo) the Algae Bloom would always get pretty nasty this time of year, particularly in shallow Erie. It would be in all the City water. You would not notice it so much from that tap because of the clorination, but let it sit for awhile and would start to smell rather distasteful. They always claimed it was safe to drink, and never heard of anyone getting sick from drinking it promptly that day.
For what it's worth.