Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bilgewater's Avatar
 
City: New Bern, N.C.
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 257
Potable water testing

We have a 100 gallon glass/ply conformal water tank on the Lady J. We "shocked" the tank and lines overnight with bleach, drained, and refilled twice. The First Mate still detects an odor (not bleach) from the water. We've been using the water for washing and rinsing, but drink from bottled water. Has anyone tested their water for purity? A filter system is in future, but I'd like to know where we stand on quality right now. I don't have a problem with "city" water from any marina. Just need a starting reference. Any ideas on testing kits? Where to get and what cost? Thanks.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Bilgewater
"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Scraping Paint
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,804
For less than the price of a valid test for the chemicals that are probably the source of the aroma you can install a common household type charcoal filter and eliminate that chemical and many others.
__________________

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
For less than the price of a valid test for the chemicals that are probably the source of the aroma you can install a common household type charcoal filter and eliminate that chemical and many others.
Here's the one I use & the water tastes great!

Pur Faucet Mount Filtration System FM-4100B, 3-Stage - Best Price
Attached Images
 
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
We have a 100 gallon glass/ply conformal water tank on the Lady J. We "shocked" the tank and lines overnight with bleach, drained, and refilled twice. The First Mate still detects an odor (not bleach) from the water. We've been using the water for washing and rinsing, but drink from bottled water. Has anyone tested their water for purity? A filter system is in future, but I'd like to know where we stand on quality right now. I don't have a problem with "city" water from any marina. Just need a starting reference. Any ideas on testing kits? Where to get and what cost? Thanks.
Check places that sell water softeners, etc....they often test as they are the ones that with the test certify occupancy in places that require a water test when buying a home.

Not sure that the basic test ($35-$50) will cover everything...just that it's safe enough for a house to be sold.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Scraping Paint
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,804
It sounds like the OP needs to test for volatile organics like styrene and I don't think the Culligan man does that. At least not for that price.

But if the smell didn't exist before the shocking experience, it is probably just a dead mouse or something.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,532
Any environmental testing laboratory (check your phone book) can test your water for National EPA Drinking Water Standards. That's what I did with my aluminum tanks. They can test for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and bacteria common to drinking water. Cost shouldn't exceed $135.
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Any environmental testing laboratory (check your phone book) can test your water for National EPA Drinking Water Standards. That's what I did with my aluminum tanks. They can test for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and bacteria common to drinking water. Cost shouldn't exceed $135.


I have an account with a local testing lab and with my volume discount get them done for about $85-95/each(can't remember) Two day turn around from dropping off the sample till I receive results. They don't miss much
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Guru
 
Arctic Traveller's Avatar


 
City: Juneau Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 619
[QUOTE=RickB; But if the smell didn't exist before the shocking experience, it is probably just a dead mouse or something.[/QUOTE]

YIKES, how would a mouse get electrocuted while inside the tank? ....Arctic Traveller
__________________
Trawler training and yacht charters at www.arctictraveller.com
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
... it is probably just a dead mouse or something.
Rural folk here, dependant on tank water, say without a dead pigeon or possum inside the tank the water has no flavor.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
City: Pittsburg, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 278
Bilgewater,

Just my opinion from growing up in Conneaut, (between Cleveland and Buffalo) the Algae Bloom would always get pretty nasty this time of year, particularly in shallow Erie. It would be in all the City water. You would not notice it so much from that tap because of the clorination, but let it sit for awhile and would start to smell rather distasteful. They always claimed it was safe to drink, and never heard of anyone getting sick from drinking it promptly that day.
For what it's worth.
__________________

__________________
JimS on the Delta
Delta_JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012