Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Plumbing question.P traps.

Are extra deep P straps required on boats?I am planning for two sinks on my boat,head sink and a single galley sink.I will be boating inland for a while,before going to the coast. I will have a vented holding tank, with a pump out, and overboard discharge.I know rolling can empty P traps on RVs, and I have installed extra deep P traps in them.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Are your sinks going straight overboard or into the tank? If into the tank, then yes, go deep with the p-traps. Nothing worse than tank stink in a boat. If going straight overboard, no trap needed at all.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Are your sinks going straight overboard or into the tank? If into the tank, then yes, go deep with the p-traps. Nothing worse than tank stink in a boat. If going straight overboard, no trap needed at all.

Yes.They will have to go directly into a grey water tank.

When I go coastal,LOL,I will install selector valves and associated plumbing to divert to tank, or over board.I may add it,while I am building.Depends on how complex everything gets and how hidden all the hoses and fittings will be.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
FF
Guru

>They will have to go directly into a grey water tank.<

Very rare actually need a grey tank.

Will you be trucking the boat to use on inland lakes?

Or trucking it to use as an RV?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Yes.They will have to go directly into a grey water tank.

When I go coastal,LOL,I will install selector valves and associated plumbing to divert to tank, or over board.I may add it,while I am building.Depends on how complex everything gets and how hidden all the hoses and fittings will be.
The more complicated you make things, the more likely there will be a problem, either with the equipment or with the operator.

The purpose of a trap is to prevent sewer gasses from entering the home, business, boat, whatever. Discharging directly overboard, there are no sewer gasses to deal with.

Unless the area you plan to boat in requires containment of grey water, there's no good reason to have a grey water tank and the associated plumbing. Grey water (sinks and showers) can be routed directly overboard without a trap.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Ben, on a gas boat a trap is desirable to keep CO from migrating into the boat. Open hatches can create a slight negative pressure that can draw it in. Even on a diesel boat you may find yourself rafted to a boat running a gasoline generator that could cause the same thing. May sound far fetched, but it has happened.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
Guru

If you want a trap, a dip in the drain hose works just fine as long as it's big enough to fill with water. The danger of exhaust gasses entering the boat through a drain are the same as they are from opening a window. If it worries you, put the stopper in the drain.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Another handy thing about P traps is they can eliminate the gurgling noise you sometimes get coming up the drains when you are underway.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Another handy thing about P traps is they can eliminate the gurgling noise you sometimes get coming up the drains when you are underway.
Again, just put the stopper in.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Why would I want to when I can have a P trap that requires zero maintenance for the most part, keeps things from crawling/flying up into the sink and catches anything I might drop down the sink that I didn't mean to.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>They will have to go directly into a grey water tank.<

Very rare actually need a grey tank.

Will you be trucking the boat to use on inland lakes?

Or trucking it to use as an RV?
I am required to have grey water tanks.The boat will be a trailer trawler until life settles down, and I can afford the time to do coastal trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The more complicated you make things, the more likely there will be a problem, either with the equipment or with the operator. That's true.

The purpose of a trap is to prevent sewer gasses from entering the home, business, boat, whatever. Discharging directly overboard, there are no sewer gasses to deal with. Oh yeah.Plumbing 101.

Unless the area you plan to boat in requires containment of grey water, there's no good reason to have a grey water tank and the associated plumbing. Grey water (sinks and showers) can be routed directly overboard without a trap.Unfortunately,it's a requirement to have a grey water tank on the lakes I boat on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Ben, on a gas boat a trap is desirable to keep CO from migrating into the boat. Open hatches can create a slight negative pressure that can draw it in. Even on a diesel boat you may find yourself rafted to a boat running a gasoline generator that could cause the same thing. May sound far fetched, but it has happened.
I hadn't considered CO traveling through the thru hulls.Thanks for that tip.My plan is for diesel stern drive,but my genny will probably be a gasser.

Quote:
If you want a trap, a dip in the drain hose works just fine as long as it's big enough to fill with water. The danger of exhaust gasses entering the boat through a drain are the same as they are from opening a window. If it worries you, put the stopper in the drain.
Good idea and cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
That,I had not thought of.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately,it's a requirement to have a grey water tank on the lakes I boat on.
What lakes would that be? Does someone actually check boats and turn away those without grey water tanks? Are people allowed to wash their boats in the water or must they be pulled and washed on land?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Ben, an easy way to do a trap on a sink drain is to put a loop in the hose, and tie it at the top with a wire tie.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #14
FF
Guru

On our 90/90 we chose to discharge directly to the sea.

A Seacock was located well underwater (liveaboard in the NE where the bay freezes) set so when the rubber hose is disconnected from the sink a broom stick could be used to clear a clog.

The sink bottom plumbing is above the WL , so disconnecting the drain does not cause water to enter.

This system with a bladder could be used , and the bladder removed , to gain its space when finally going to sea.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
What lakes would that be? Does someone actually check boats and turn away those without grey water tanks? Are people allowed to wash their boats in the water or must they be pulled and washed on land?
Jocassee,Keowee,Hartwell,Russell,Thurmond,Murray,G reenwood are all with in an hour and a half from me,or less.The more distant lakes (2 to 4 hours) will be Marion,Wateree,and Moultrie.Yes,some lakes I go to does a ramp check, and on all of them I have been boarded on,at least once, by a Warden,or DNR.I guess I just have that look. I've never been asked about our porta potti,but I am usually on a pontoon with a small aft cabin.They do have a look inside and it sitting in the open.The sink drains into a 10 gallon tank mounted under the counter.The fresh water is gravity feed from two 5 gallon portable water jugs/jerry cans.I'm not sure about washing boats in the drink.I have never witnessed anyone washing a boat on the water.I haven't been on the water in about 9 years.I haven't kept up with rules and regs,except what I hear on the news.I can't see them relaxing them any.They're probably tightening restriction due to more and more pollution turning up in some of those lakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Ben, an easy way to do a trap on a sink drain is to put a loop in the hose, and tie it at the top with a wire tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
On our 90/90 we chose to discharge directly to the sea.

A Seacock was located well underwater (liveaboard in the NE where the bay freezes) set so when the rubber hose is disconnected from the sink a broom stick could be used to clear a clog.

The sink bottom plumbing is above the WL , so disconnecting the drain does not cause water to enter.

This system with a bladder could be used , and the bladder removed , to gain its space when finally going to sea.
A bladder you say?Could be an good option.When there was four of us on board for a weekend,we didn't use all of the two 5 gallon water jugs we carried.Mostly hand washing and food prep.We didn't shower.Heck, we were in the water as mush as we were on deck fishing.four fat me playing in the water.We must have been a site.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #16
Guru

I have not heard or read of any restrictions on grey water discharge on South Carolina lakes and some of my friends trailer their boats to those lakes. Can you post a link to the regulations?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I would be interested also as my research didn't turn up anything....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
I have not heard or read of any restrictions on grey water discharge on South Carolina lakes and some of my friends trailer their boats to those lakes. Can you post a link to the regulations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would be interested also as my research didn't turn up anything....
I'll have to try to find it all again.I can't access my yahoo bookmarks anymore.The stupid yahoo tool bar won't work for me on firefox browser.IIRC,I think it was DNR or ACE is were I got the info.I can't remember.I'll do some more searching later this evening.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
Guru

Back before my health scare and I temporarily gave up on the thoughts of building or owning a boat,I emailed the DNR.I don't have the email any longer as I changed from yahoo to gmail.The email pretty much said,no discharge of any kind is permitted. Here is where I got my info.It's at the very bottom of the page. SCDNR - Rules and Regulations

Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Vessel Sewage Regulations

It is illegal:Keep Our Water Clean - Use Pumpouts

To have a toilet installed aboard your boat without a marine sanitation device.
For any boat used for habitation moored at a private dock to discharge raw or treated sewage.
For houseboats to discharge treated or raw sewage in freshwater.
For any vessel to discharge treated or untreated sewage in a
No Discharge Zone.
Designated No Discharge Zones:

Broad Creek (Hilton Head Island)
Lake Hartwell
Lake Keowee
Lake Murray
Lake Thurmond
Lake Wylie
That's for sewage ("black water" AKA "poop"). Water from showering or washing dishes is not prohibited.