Old 09-21-2015, 01:29 AM   #1

City: Eugene, Oregon
Vessel Name: Have Patience
Vessel Model: Navigator 56 Classic
Plugged Up

Sea-land Vacu-flush failed with flush part way down. Snap Action Switch failed at the wrong moment. Partial suction. Investigation revealed broken switch. No spare. Two weeks later I have new switch installed and working properly. Unfortunately the partial flush has turned into concrete in the line. Didn't think of bypassing the switch to run the pump at the time. Marine Sanitation in Seattle suggests using Solution of Un-Chloric Acid to dissolve. Any other ideas?? Doubt that will make it very far down the line.

CaptTPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
FF
Guru

Can you use a bucket to fill the line with water?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
A plumbers snake?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
Guru

City: AR
There was nothing to fail during that flush...accumulated suction created by pump during the previous flush should have sucked the flush all the way to the pump...the pump then pushes it the rest of the way to the tank or wherever while it simultaneously creates a new "vacuum" to suck out the next flush. So your clog should be in the pump, clogging up the bellows, which would prevent the pump from running. So the first thing I'd try would be to remove the top of the vacuum pump to see what's in it and clean it out. If it didn't get that far, someone needs to learn what not to flush, or learn to use a lot less TP...or seriously re-evaluate their diet!

If it's not in the pump, try any live bacteria (NOT just enzymes, live bugs) holding tank product. Make sure there's plenty of water with it, don't be skimpy with the product. It may take a few days, but should dissolve the clog without harm to the system unless it's a wet wipe or tampon. If it is, removing it will require surgery.
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
There was nothing to fail during that flush...accumulated suction created by pump during the previous flush should have sucked the flush all the way to the pump...the pump then pushes it the rest of the way to the tank or wherever while it simultaneously creates a new "vacuum" to suck out the next flush. So your clog should be in the pump, clogging up the bellows, which would prevent the pump from running. So the first thing I'd try would be to remove the top of the vacuum pump to see what's in it and clean it out. If it didn't get that far, someone needs to learn what not to flush, or learn to use a lot less TP...or seriously re-evaluate their diet!

If it's not in the pump, try any live bacteria (NOT just enzymes, live bugs) holding tank product. Make sure there's plenty of water with it, don't be skimpy with the product. It may take a few days, but should dissolve the clog without harm to the system unless it's a wet wipe or tampon. If it is, removing it will require surgery.
It was not a tampon! It was me. The only stuff going partially down was (large) dinner and paper. I'm guessing the switch failed with the previous flush because there was only a partial suction. When I replaced the switch I also replaced the Duck-Bills. There was nothing in the lines at that level. Also, I know the suction is now working properly because the pump pulls the switch into the off position appropriately. Does that still indicate the same possible position of the plug?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
Guru

You've ruled out the pump...so now the clog can be anywhere in the system between the bowl and the pump. Unless you want to start taking hose connections apart, your best hope for dissolving it is either a bacteria product--which will take time to work--or some kind of septic tank sludge dissolver, which will still take time, but usually less time.

However...the V-Flush is the only toilet on which a plunger can be used without damage to the system. You have nothing to lose by trying it. I'd also advise some re-evaluation and changes to your diet to result in softer stools (that was a serious suggestion).
Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
You've ruled out the pump...so now the clog can be anywhere in the system between the bowl and the pump. Unless you want to start taking hose connections apart, your best hope for dissolving it is either a bacteria product--which will take time to work--or some kind of septic tank sludge dissolver, which will still take time, but usually less time.

However...the V-Flush is the only toilet on which a plunger can be used without damage to the system. You have nothing to lose by trying it. I'd also advise some re-evaluation and changes to your diet to result in softer stools (that was a serious suggestion).
Tried the plunger. Didn't work. What about the Un-Chloric Acid? Also, If I take the top of the pump off, is it possible to put a snake backwards up the line?
Old 09-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Guru

If I take the top of the pump off, is it possible to put a snake backwards up the line?

No. For one thing, the hoses are attached to the base of the pump. For another there are two duckbill valves you'd have to run the snake through, which wouldn't do those any good. If you want to try snaking, it would be a lot easier to just disconnect the hose from the pump.

What about the Un-Chloric Acid?

I'd never heard of "un-chloric acid" so I googled it... It's a proprietary product available only from Marine Sanitation Unchloric Acid and seems to be more for dissolving sea water mineral buildup in hoses...so I dunno how well it would work on , than poop and TP clogs. You didn't indicate that they had much confidence in it, but it was the only thing they could think of.

So I'm thinking it might be time to give Dometic/SeaLand tech support a call...800-321-9886 Meanwhile, I do hope you put some water down the toilet, that you haven't just let the clog sit there and turn into a meteor.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #9

Quote:
If I take the top of the pump off, is it possible to put a snake backwards up the line?

No. For one thing, the hoses are attached to the base of the pump. For another there are two duckbill valves you'd have to run the snake through, which wouldn't do those any good. If you want to try snaking, it would be a lot easier to just disconnect the hose from the pump.

What about the Un-Chloric Acid?

I'd never heard of "un-chloric acid" so I googled it... It's a proprietary product available only from Marine Sanitation Unchloric Acid and seems to be more for dissolving sea water mineral buildup in hoses...so I dunno how well it would work on , than poop and TP clogs. You didn't indicate that they had much confidence in it, but it was the only thing they could think of.

So I'm thinking it might be time to give Dometic/SeaLand tech support a call...800-321-9886 Meanwhile, I do hope you put some water down the toilet, that you haven't just let the clog sit there and turn into a meteor.
Not possible to put water down the toilet. Doesn't go anywhere. Marine Sanitation claims it will dissolve TP and clogs in about 2 days. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me if no water will go down the line from the toilet.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
Guru

If water isn't going ANYwhere, it seems to me that's a fairly good indication that the clog has to be close to the bowl...'cuz you should be able to fill up the plumbing, including the vacuum tank, with water as far as the clog...and water alone will dissolve fecal matter and any TP that isn't made to withstand being hit by a cannonball--usually in only a couple of hours at most. Even if you let it harden just being wet again should start to dissolve it. What the heck did you eat???

It may be time to bite the financial bullet--but don't swallow it!--and pay a pro to clean it out.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
If water isn't going ANYwhere, it seems to me that's a fairly good indication that the clog has to be close to the bowl...'cuz you should be able to fill up the plumbing, including the vacuum tank, with water as far as the clog...and water alone will dissolve fecal matter and any TP that isn't made to withstand being hit by a cannonball--usually in only a couple of hours at most. Even if you let it harden just being wet again should start to dissolve it. What the heck did you eat???

It may be time to bite the financial bullet--but don't swallow it!--and pay a pro to clean it out.
Thanks for you help with this. I appreciate it. I'll take the system apart. Not that difficult.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #12

Don't know if vacuuflush can suck uphill, but if any of the discharge plumbing is higher than the bowl, water would naturally just sit in the bowl.
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #13

Its all down hill
Old 09-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #14
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I hate to tell you this, but it maybe time to start tearing it down piece by piece until you find your clog. While you are at it replace the old hose with new.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #15

As the head mistress said it must be between the head and the pump. No other place possible. No water exits the toilet or enters the suction chamber.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #16

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
I had the same problem. Plunger n/g. Poured some KO in the line and in two days cleared out. I guess the only difference with my situation was water would s.l.o.w.l.y drain from the head ( like 6 to eight hours to empty). This allowed the KO to get to the clog. I had to prop the foot switch open and turn off the water feed.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Turn the water off, step on the foot pedal keeping it open and look at the hole in the bottom of the bowl. Bet it is right where it exits the bowl as the diameter of the exit is quite small, if it is clogged right there poke it with a 1/4" dowel, this is done with the toilet at vacuum. Once it clears the small exit it then enters a large hose, this has happened a few times to us when someone is TP happy..........

PS....throw the dowel away......
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Plungers are really bad idea, you can damage the duck bills or vacuum switch. Peggy has the best advice.

The common things people do to mess up a properly installed Vacuflush when flushing anything (including TP) solid, are: 1) not putting extra water in the bowl 2) Not holding the pedal down for a three count 3) not letting the pedal snap up on its own from the fully down position.
In other words, not following the manual! They even make a little sticker you can mount to the underneath side of the lid to remind you.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #19
Guru

Plungers are really bad idea, you can damage the duck bills or vacuum switch.

SeaLand approves limited use of a plunger to clear a clog. They're the only mfr who does.The pedal--or flush button on some newer models--should be held for at LEAST 3 seconds following urine only, at least 7 seconds following solids. That's to make sure enough water goes down behind the flush to rinse out the system, especially the pump. But because the water flow is so skimpy--too skimpy to completely fill the hoses, I've always recommended flushing a full bowl of clean water through once a day, and especially before the boat will sit, to clean out the hoses and the vacuum pump.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #20
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Hi Peggy, when did they start that? My manual advises against it. Is it all systems or just the combos or the component systems? Maybe the key word there is "limited"?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote