Pellet Stoves onboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh this should not be soon difficult, where is a regular just upload a pic button....

NR6AXW

How about this one as an alternative? It's nicely compact, requires little clearance, burns most anything: sticks, charcoal, presto logs, hundred dollar bills and it looks good.

We have the propane version aboard Ebbtide and use it all winter.

Attachments

• NEWSF-smaller.jpg
    NEWSF-smaller.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 45
Sam,

Click the Go Advanced tab then click manage file extensions and a new box will open up to upload your images.

Bob

SeaboardSam wrote;
"The doctor is recommending we replace the diesel heater that is giving my wife migraines"

I not long ago converted my Airtop 2000 Wabasto to run on kerosene. Could be your wife won't find that fuel to be a problem. Has she ever been exposed to kerosene lamps? One can get a whiff of fuel burn smell in the aft cockpit when the wind is from aft but I've never smelled it in the cabin. Just a thought.

How about this one as an alternative? It's nicely compact, requires little clearance, burns most anything: sticks, charcoal, presto logs, hundred dollar bills and it looks good.

We have the propane version aboard Ebbtide and use it all winter.

that is a nice little stove as well, but can it cook food and heat water while charging our batteries from the energy in the fuel?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwir5qrF6tbSAhVK1WMKHae5CAoQxa8BCBowAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA&sig2=ybtDnuz9f10YrL23Lasi8g

this micro pellet stove we ordered from hastyheat.com can be stoked as little as once or twice per week, we really like the idea of not having to load fuel several times per day to keep it burning.

being able to burn sticks and stuff is not very useful in the northwest, everything you can find is wet soaked and pithy from the mycelium eating the lignin

SeaboardSam wrote;
"The doctor is recommending we replace the diesel heater that is giving my wife migraines"

I not long ago converted my Airtop 2000 Wabasto to run on kerosene. Could be your wife won't find that fuel to be a problem. Has she ever been exposed to kerosene lamps? One can get a whiff of fuel burn smell in the aft cockpit when the wind is from aft but I've never smelled it in the cabin. Just a thought.

at this point we are pretty resolved to not burn diesel, like you say even vented overboard, a change in wind and the stink comes in, and even if it does not, the smell on deck keeps her down below. we would much prefer to smell burning wood over burning diesel and it will resolve problems to do so.

Buy the right heater and you will never smell the exhaust.

My Wallas has never been an issue and my crewmember can smell a fuel dock before I can find it with binoculars.

I too would love wood....just not practical on my boat though.

Our pellet sales have been way off this year do to propane prices being down . We usually can't make them fast enough at this time of year .We have at least 10 truck loads on the yard right now ( about 250 tons ) and havn't made any pellets in at least a month. We make about 2 semi loads of sawdust everyday and it's a pain to get rid of if we aren't producing pellets .

"We make about 2 semi loads of sawdust everyday and it's a pain to get rid of if we aren't producing pellets . "

Lower the pellet price , still better than paying at the dump.

A properly built and installed diesel stove will smell inside the boat ,

as much as a diesel Mercedes Benz smells of diesel exhaust inside.

Last edited:
Hadn't noticed this thread before...

Reminds me we shopped on a new motorsailer back in the mid-90s, I think it was a "Northeast 37" designed by Mark Ellis... and one option was a working fireplace. The whole idea caught my attention... (but then we changed direction).

Anyway, fast forward, we just had propane gas logs installed in our home fireplace, and it shows some promise.

A more efficient version would have been an insert with fans. We chose not to go that route... mostly 'cause not necessary for our situation... but the option is there. I suspect the fans wouldn't have needed all that much juice...

-Chris

"Solid wood" stoves can be fed with an inch thick of a fire log.

DO NOT break up the material!!!

When it burns down a bag of charcoal added will add more hours of heat.

"We make about 2 semi loads of sawdust everyday and it's a pain to get rid of if we aren't producing pellets . "

I've lowered the price enough that it doesn't make sense to run 400 hp to make pellets.We sell the sawdust . The PITA is getting dust hauling trucks in here at the right time to keep the sawdust system from backing up . Running the pellet mill keeps everything timed just right . It looks like we will start back next week and put our "summer buy pricing" out early .

Did you mean NOT smell inside.?
Mine does not smell.

If Seaboard Sam's smells inside or out and it was a good heater it should not smell. Yet a haywire installation can undo the best heater.

"Mine does not smell."

Neither does a Mecededes.

There are now pellet stoves built for hydronic heating that might be plumbed into some boats.

The thing we like least about our pellet stove at home is the fan noise and the cleaning. Ours is a very top end stove (Harmon) but requires light cleaning about everyother day and serious cleaning about once a month.

FF wrote;
"There are now pellet stoves built for hydronic heating that might be plumbed into some boats."
There are also many central heating forced air pellet "furnaces".

Last edited:
The thing we like least about our pellet stove at home is the fan noise and the cleaning. Ours is a very top end stove (Harmon) but requires light cleaning about everyother day and serious cleaning about once a month.

FF wrote;
"There are now pellet stoves built for hydronic heating that might be plumbed into some boats."
There are also many central heating forced air pellet "furnaces".
Eric are you burning a premium hardwood pellet ?Hardwood flooring mills that make pellets usually are considered a premium pellet . Sawdust from flooring waste is cleaner and the moisture content is more consistent. A good pellet makes less ash .
I have a pellet boiler that I'm eventually going to put in my basement . I already have a new coil installed in the ductwork for the hot water . It just hasn't gotten cold enough here for it yet . It's also a Harmon

Marty'
All I've seen around here in the high end pellets is Douglas Fir. We burn "Golden Fire" pellets. If you wer'nt 3000 miles away I'd have been talking to you. Almost nobody burns hardwoods in their wood stoves out here. Usually it a result of a tree on their own property. This is connifer country. And connifers have lots of pitch and similar.

Thanks for think'in of me though.

We looked at a Harmon "basement furnace" when we were shopping. Held enough pellets for many days.

All this talk about pellets sounds good, but what do you do when you're cruising and find yourself in Ireland, Norway, Japan, Argentina, etc.? Are pellets available worldwide, or do these stoves adapt to burning solid fuel (wood, coal, charcoal, etc.)?

Mako,
Have no idea except for the assumption that in places like the PNW USA there should be plenty. Mexico ????

That Dickinson that I posted will burn almost anything. Actually going to put one in our Vanagon.

If you find yourself in Mexico I'm sure some TF'er would be happy to throw some pellets over the wall to you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom