Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Lakeland
Country: United States
Vessel Model: Looking for the next one
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 230
Peggie Hall... Freshwater head recommendations?

Morning all,

We are looking at a boat with old, electric, marine water heads. We would want to change them out pretty much right away and replace them with freshwater, electric flush heads that are reliable, don't have a reputation for being easily stopped up, and won't break the bank.

The floor is open. Recommendations?

Interesting side note, the sanitation hoses have already been changed. We'll still want to flush them out and descale/sanitize them after installing the new heads but it's a plus the hoses are recent.

Thanks.

John
__________________
Advertisement

JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,490
We changed over one troublesome Jabsco electric head to a Raritan Marine Elegance with the Smart Flush control. That one change rid the boat of odor-after-flush problems. What a difference! Plus its about 50% quieter. The aft head is on the to-do list.
__________________

__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
City: Lakeland
Country: United States
Vessel Model: Looking for the next one
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
We changed over one troublesome Jabsco electric head to a Raritan Marine Elegance with the Smart Flush control. That one change rid the boat of odor-after-flush problems. What a difference! Plus its about 50% quieter. The aft head is on the to-do list.
Thanks, Archie. Those look pretty nice.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
We changed over one troublesome Jabsco electric head to a Raritan Marine Elegance with the Smart Flush control. That one change rid the boat of odor-after-flush problems. What a difference! Plus its about 50% quieter. The aft head is on the to-do list.
+1. We changed both heads to Marine Elegances — after a consult with Peggie — and are very happy with them. We also replaced all the hoses and installed a Purasan unit, which works beautifully (if such a word can be applied to this topic) with the ME.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 223
We replaced a Jabsco Quiet Flush with a Marine Elegance freshwater head and have been very happy with the change. Quieter and flushes better.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
Guru
 
HeadMistress's Avatar


 
City: AR
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,548
The Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf is the top rated macerating electric toilet...exceptionally quiet with a powerful pump and a macerator that can even chew up a tampon (but NOT a wet wipe), though they don't recommend it. I know of two retailers who have it for < $700 including the 4 option "Smart Flush" panel: an online merchant Boatersland Boatersland Marine Elegance and Hopkins Carter Marine in Miami Hopkins Carter Marine Raritan Marine Elegance I'm partial to Hopkins Carter 'cuz a mainstay of this forum--HopCar--has recently retired as its owner.

As for hoses... Rarely if ever does anyone selling a boat replace hoses unless they REALLY need it, and they always buy the least expensive hose--hoses with little or no odor permeation resistance. If you're lucky it'll be at least a year before you start to wonder where the leak in your sanitation system is, 'cuz you're sure it has be a leak, the hoses are brand new. (It took less than 90 days on my own boat and I spent another month hunting the leak before I finally gave up and tested the hoses for permeation). So prolong the inevitable for as long as possible by making sure there are no sags in the plumbing, that the run to the tank is as short and straight as possible, and always flushing at least quart of clean water through the the system before the boat will sit.

You're welcome to contact me directly if you need some help in spec'ing out the system.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
__________________
2019 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
+1. We changed both heads to Marine Elegances after a consult with Peggie and are very happy with them. We also replaced all the hoses and installed a Purasan unit, which works beautifully (if such a word can be applied to this topic) with the ME.

Same here.
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
Morning all,

We are looking at a boat with old, electric, marine water heads. We would want to change them out pretty much right away and replace them with freshwater, electric flush heads that are reliable, don't have a reputation for being easily stopped up, and won't break the bank.

The floor is open. Recommendations?

Interesting side note, the sanitation hoses have already been changed. We'll still want to flush them out and descale/sanitize them after installing the new heads but it's a plus the hoses are recent.

Thanks.

John
Considering the boat you are looking at. You have plenty of room to install vacuflush should you feel the need to go that way. Regardless you will need one toilet that plumbs out the back and one that plumbs out the bottom. While I have done well at sourcing nearly new vacuflush systems the Raritain Elegance is certainly priced right for new.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
City: Lakeland
Country: United States
Vessel Model: Looking for the next one
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
The Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf is the top rated macerating electric toilet...exceptionally quiet with a powerful pump and a macerator that can even chew up a tampon (but NOT a wet wipe), though they don't recommend it. I know of two retailers who have it for < $700 including the 4 option "Smart Flush" panel: an online merchant Boatersland Boatersland Marine Elegance and Hopkins Carter Marine in Miami Hopkins Carter Marine Raritan Marine Elegance I'm partial to Hopkins Carter 'cuz a mainstay of this forum--HopCar--has recently retired as its owner.

As for hoses... Rarely if ever does anyone selling a boat replace hoses unless they REALLY need it, and they always buy the least expensive hose--hoses with little or no odor permeation resistance. If you're lucky it'll be at least a year before you start to wonder where the leak in your sanitation system is, 'cuz you're sure it has be a leak, the hoses are brand new. (It took less than 90 days on my own boat and I spent another month hunting the leak before I finally gave up and tested the hoses for permeation). So prolong the inevitable for as long as possible by making sure there are no sags in the plumbing, that the run to the tank is as short and straight as possible, and always flushing at least quart of clean water through the the system before the boat will sit.

You're welcome to contact me directly if you need some help in spec'ing out the system.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
As always, outstanding information, Peggy! Thanks.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar
 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,026
Five votes for the Raritan Marine Elegance, one vote for the Vacu Flush.
I never actually used either but I sold a lot of Marine Elegance toilets and a lot of Vacuflush repair parts and replacement pumps.

Want to guess which one i’d buy?
__________________
Parks Masterson
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
Todd R's Avatar
 
City: Wrightsville Beach
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 75
Replaced ours two weeks ago with the Marine Elegance Sea Fresh option (fresh or raw water). Highly recommend as all the others have stated.
__________________
Times Fun When You're Having Flies!
Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
City: Lakeland
Country: United States
Vessel Model: Looking for the next one
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Five votes for the Raritan Marine Elegance, one vote for the Vacu Flush.
I never actually used either but I sold a lot of Marine Elegance toilets and a lot of Vacuflush repair parts and replacement pumps.

Want to guess which one id buy?
Yeah, that's kind of telling, isn't it?
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #13
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,044
Yes, the Marine Elegance is the way to go.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,685
Vote #2 for Vacuflush. We installed two complete systems on Blue Sky four years ago and they have been very reliable. Minimal water (fresh) useage and relatively quiet. At the time the pricing was similar to the Raritan Elegance although I have no idea if that is still the case.
__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
Not much to add to this except that Vacuflush consumes more space. IMO best if vacuum generators are not installed in or under accommodations. Elegance using freshwater rinse with discharge direct to holding tank provides far fewer opportunities for odor creation than a Vacuflush system. Elegance discharge line clamps in two places. At the toilet and the tank. Big difference between that and Vacuflush.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #16
DDW
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 608
Can someone go through the plusses and minuses of the three high end macerating toilets? Raritan, Dometic, and Tecma. Is one clearly better than the others? Intending to replace a Vacuflush.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
Cruzer's Avatar
 
City: H20
Country: USA
Vessel Name: OLOH
Vessel Model: 60 Motor Yacht
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 50
One more vote for Marine Elegance. Last spring we replaced all three fully functioning Vacuflush heads on OLOH with the Raritan heads and it's one of the best upgrades we've made. Less water being used and truly more elegant (which seems funny to say about a head). Goodbye Duckbills and whooshing pump sounds!

For the first head we installed we got the hardwired, four function Smart Toilet Control which we highly recommend if your budget allows. For the next two, which were ordered together, we decided to try Raritan's new Bluetooth Toilet Control Unit. The pluses are - there is no wire needed between the control box and the control panel which can be helpful in certain installations and, more importantly, you can easily look at diagnostics and change the default flush settings using the Raritan app which was necessary with one of our heads. On the minus side, the graphics on the non-bluetooth control panel are more intuitive, at some point the battery in the control panel will have to be replaced and you have to pair your device each time you want to change from the control panel to the app. So if you thought you could flush the head from your phone while someone was on it you'd have to plan in advance (seemed like a fun idea, though not why we bought it or anything we've done... yet ). Long way of saying, if we were to do it again we would probably not bother with the bluetooth version. But the heads themselves have worked flawlessly since installation.
__________________
-The M/Y OLOH Crew
Blog: www.myoloh.com/blog
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member
 
City: Annapolis, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 93
I put in a Raritan SeaEra Whisper Flush electric f/w. Same smart panel as the Elegance and very happy so far. I chose it due to space and floor configuration made the Elegance a bad fit. Spinning the SeaEra base 90 degrees solved my problems.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member
 
City: Green Cove Springs
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander 55
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 37
Another vote for Raritan Elegance with Smart Control. They are near impossible to clog, non-boating guests are comfortable with them, and they last forever.

They are a requirement for any boat we own.
Commander Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #20
Guru
 
Bigsfish's Avatar
 
City: Miami River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,060
Reading this thread I’m reminded how luck we are to have people like Peggy and Parks (Hopcar) to give us advice. Thanks to all the experts who willingly give their opinions.
__________________

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012