Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Other Trawler Systems

Old 10-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #101
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I believe it's not uncommon to have one macerator between toilet and holding tank (especially for electric water-flush toilets) and then perhaps another/separate macerator between holding tank and overboard discharge thru-hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Electric toilets have two impellers---an intake impeller that simultaneously pulls in flush water and pushes it to the bowl and a discharge impeller that pull waste out of the bowl and pushes it down the toilet discharge line.

A separate macerator pump in a toilet discharge line is NOT that common, nor is it recommended....

Yep, I said "macerator" from the toilet but what I really meant was just the pump/motor assembly that functions as part of the toilet itself. Ours has a thing called a "chopper" in there, so I assume it functions much like a separate macerator would, at least briefly.

FWIW, ours is a pressurized fresh-water flush unit, so doesn't have an impeller to pull flush water in...

-Chris

Old 10-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #102
Guru

City: AR
I've always considered it to be the ultimate irony that on the very day Rhode Island's statewide "no discharge" law went into effect, a massive sewage treatment plant spill occurred in Providence that closed all the beaches and shellfish beds at that end of Narragansett Bay for a week.

Peggie
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #103
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
With the storms in the Puget Sound region this weekend the news outlets have already warned the public about the coming raw sewage spills coming from the overloaded municipal sewage systems.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #104
Guru

City: AR
Yep, I said "macerator" from the toilet but what I really meant was just the pump/motor assembly that functions as part of the toilet itself. Ours has a thing called a "chopper" in there, so I assume it functions much like a separate macerator would, at least briefly.

That "chopper" doesn't function much like a macerator, it IS the macerator. Doesn't matter whether it's in a macerating electric toilet or a macerating overboard discharge pump, a macerator is just the "chopper"--essentially the same thing as the blade in a blender--nothing more.

So macerating toilets don't have a macerator between the toilet and the holding tank...the macerator blade--aka "chopper"--is a part IN the toilet pump.

What everyone calls a "macerator" (referring to an overboard discharge pump) is actually a "macerator pump"--a pump with a macerator blade in it. But everyone thinks that "macerator" is what the whole overboard discharge pump is called. So it's not surprising that you don't know what a macerator really is...I doubt if very many others here do either.

Peggie
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #105

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Our boat has two separate head systems. Each one has a macerating toilet, holding tank, and an overboard discharge diaphragm pump. Redundancy is great. Dhays, I think it's amazing that Seattle and Bellevue put up with raw sewage spills of thousands of gallons in Lake Washington and Puget Sound, but people freak out at the thought that a boater might dump a few gallons. I don't know anyone that would dump overboard. We have plenty of pumpouts available and also have Terry and Sons mobile pumpout service that will pump your tank for free in most areas.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #106
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Harshly put, but if our holding tanks get full with no legal discharge available it simply means we failed in our duty as a captain.
Times have changed in the nine years since I have left US waters. However, I did run across situations where there was no legal discharge and not through my fault. Pump out stations that were advertised or in the guide books which could not handle a Krogen 42 or were not operating combined with weather that made it unsafe to venture out the inlet. This caused us to put in an Electroscan. Perhaps times have changed.

Although shockingly as it may seem there are no (or few) pump out stations in the Eastern Caribbean and most boats do not even have holding tanks.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #107
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Then there is a marina on the Tennessee River that also has an RV park and has warnings that you can't use any toilet chemicals with their new sewage system. Of course they also warn their travelift is out of service and that they're not taking any more long term RV's and waterfront sites have a 2 week maximum, they are currently working on their July 4 events, they aren't participating in the fall color cruise, but they do have paranormal tours.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote