Old 08-27-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Oven control markings for Force 10 range

I'm wondering if anyone has a three-burner, non-gimballed, Force 10 range (stove top/oven/broiler) circa 1998 in their boat? The one with the disappearing door. Two smaller forward burners and a large rear burner. No oven temperature gauge on the front- the oven is controlled via thermostat. Black control panel under the burner knobs.

We installed one in our boat within a few weeks of buying the boat,and it's worked great for the last 16 years and still is. But the white painted-on numbers on the panel around the oven control knob have worn off. The dots are more or less still there, but it would be handy to know the numbers. The first (lower) set are still there: 200/95 (Farenheit/Centigrade).

We are assuming each dot represents a 50 degree F. increase in temperature, but we're not sure.

I sent an e-mail to Force 10 yesterday; their customer service has always been excellent but they've been purchased by another company so I don't know what it's like today.

Anyway, if anyone has the galley range I'm describing and can tell me the temperature numbers or send a photo that would be much appreciated.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
On most stoves the temperature markings on the knobs don't reflex the real temp. in the oven with much accuracy. You might be better off just using a good oven thermometer.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
On most stoves the temperature markings on the knobs don't reflex the real temp. in the oven with much accuracy. You might be better off just using a good oven thermometer.
We know that, but in this case the markings were actually fairly accurate. More importantly, they provided a quick and consistent means of setting the oven. "450" might not have been exactly 450, but my wife knows what the oven does at each setting, so the markings still have a lot of meaning to her.

She relates the oven's performance to the numbers, not the position of the dots, so she doesn't remember the number value of each dot. So it would be nice to get the numbers back. We suspect they'd been wearing away slowly and then recently came completely off fairly quickly with a cleaning or two.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I have one but no photos and I'm not at the boat. My guess is that the manufacturer will tell you what you need to know.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. A question, if I may...Are you going to remark the knob once you know the scale? How about just a new knob?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. A question, if I may...Are you going to remark the knob once you know the scale? How about just a new knob?
I believe the numbers are on the stove, not the knob.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Oregon
Vessel Model: 1979 42' Californian
we have one, a little older I believe.. also no markings left. There is not a lot of info on the web for some reason. You would think so with how many are out there. so a thermometer has to suffice. we also have the knob for "broil" but heck if I can figure out how to make it work The electronic ignition doesn't work wither (new battery and all) the joys of living with the foibles of older equipment.
tmiller1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller1116 View Post
............ The electronic ignition doesn't work wither (new battery and all) the joys of living with the foibles of older equipment.
I have that problem as well. They will sell you a new module but I don't know the price. We use a butane grill lighter.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #9

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
Does this look similar Marin? I just ordered a new front panel from Force10. 85$Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409159943.261655.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	32418
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukesy View Post
Does this look similar Marin?
Aha! While the panel on our stove is different and the markings are posiitioned differently around the knob, I think the dots and cooresponding temperatures on your stove are the same as ours. As my wife suspected, the dots indicate a 50 degree F increase.

Thank you very much. My wife wil be very pleased with your photo and its information.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #11

Here's a better pic then. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409183699.017324.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	32429
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

Perfect, thanks much.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Jukesy--- I want to pass on my wife's appreciation for your taking the time to show us the oven markings on your Force 10. She knows it doesn't seem like a big deal, but she prides herself on her cooking and baking abilities, so it's one of those things that makes it easier to do what she likes to do.

So thanks a lot for the information. I've found that keeping one's boating partner happy is a big part of successful boating.

Cheers,
Old 08-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Stove

Hi Marin
Finally got to the boat, I know others have responded but here is a photo of ours. Hope it helps.......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140828_145130.jpg  
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Thanks much, Mike. That actually looks somewhat different than the oven control on our Force 10, at least as far as the placement of the markings go and the increment values. As I recall (I don't use the galley at all--- my idea of gourmet cooking is using a platinum can opener) the ignition positon on our Force 10 is at 3 o'clock and the temperatures go up in a clockwise setting from there, with the one we can read (200 degrees F) at about 7 o'clock.

The "dial" in Jukesy's photo, whili positioned differently around the knob, seems more like the "dial" we have in terms of markings.

You'd think they'd standardize on these things at Force 10, but apparently they changed their minds quite frequently.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #16

No problemo!