Old 01-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
origo 6000 alcohol stoves?

Hi there,

Looking for a replacement for our 1980's era Washington Stove Works cast iron topped behemoth of a diesel stove. We mostly cook on a single burner Origo right now anyways, because the WSW stove takes forever to heat up.

In the spirit of simplicity (little to go wrong and as few finicky components as possible) the Origo 6000 looks to be the top contender.

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produc...o-6000-_-20494

What do you think? Any other options, keeping the desire for simplicity in mind?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Murray

I too have a diesel stove and struggle with the warmup time and higher cabin heat when using it in the summer. That problem was easily solved by adding a two burner Force 10 Propane cooktop. As I already had a propane supply, from the big propane stove that came out to make room for the diesel stove, My installation was relatively simple. Yours might require giving up the diesel stove, which would be very hard to justify, given your location.
I now have a much safer fuel (Propane) than the Origo offers, for warm weather use and I still have the cabin heat provided by the Diesel stove in cooler weather and ready cooking heat all year.
For safety references, see the concurrent thread on propane safety.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Have used the Origo to replace a pressurised alcohol stove years ago. Is probably safer that pressurized alcohol, but there are more documented fires attributed to this non pressurized stove too. The heat output is very small. It is OK for weekending, but for any real cruising It will be frustratingly slow. The small canister propane/butane stoves are accepted by ABYC (ABYC A-26) . They have the heat output of a gas stove but limited gas volume.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Hi there,

Looking for a replacement for our 1980's era Washington Stove ...

What do you think? Any other options, keeping the desire for simplicity in mind?
I have the Wallis diesel cooktop and oven which were installed in the boatwhen I acquired it. I'm delighted with them. I had an alcohol cooktop in a previous sailboat and find the Wallis much better, cooks hotter, flame fully enclosed.

Besides, you're already plumbed for diesel.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Murray, I almost passed commenting.

What are you going to use for cabin heat for replacement of the Washington?
Placement of the new heat source and power for it.

Before making a decision that should be considered. You folk use your boat in the off season when it is cold, not just cool, much like we used to do.

Other than the boat and the specific stoves our setup is almost identical. Dickinson Pac. stove, Origo 1 burner, bbq. That Dickinson is, for us, what made it possible to fall, spring and winter boat.

I seriously considered tossing the Dickinson soon after we bought the boat. It constantly went out, low heat, sooted, leaked diesel.

What stopped me was what was the replacement.
A diesel forced air heater, at the time, was really the only option and I could spend a large amount of money for us, increase the battery bank a LOT, and still have an unreliable and often troublesome heat source. That last was determined by other owners I talked to.

Also without tearing half the boat apart there was no really good placement.

I bugged Dickinson and slowly got the stove into good shape.

True we almost never run it in summer, using only the Origo and the bbq., but we still use the stove a lot in the spring, fall, even in July and Sept. just setting it on low and leaving a window and door open as temperature control. Often it is started in the AM, shut off about 10:00 and restarted about 17:00 and run untill we go to bed when we shut it down for the night.

Of course we are often in the Broughtons where the whole area is cooler. At home it may not get used at all in July , weather dependent.

IN the cold weather it never got shut down untill we went home.

All I' m getting at is consider the WHOLE package.

If you do go the Origo route I have some suggestions for the alcohol supply especially if you are currently using what is available at the local hardware store. What I use is very similar to the old Pressure fuel which is cleaner burning and hotter. The hardware store alcohol is poor for this purpose. Not their fault but when Record Chemical stopped offering the Pressure fuel their options disappeared.

I'm going to ask about the stove burner noise. Does that bother you? If so then what about a Dickinson. Ours is dead quiet. I was told the orig. owner wanted the Washington because that was what was on the commercial boats he worked on so that' what went in. But it is noisy. The commercial boats could care less. I had forgotten about that. If that is part of the driver for replacement then what about a Dickinson as replacement.?

PM me if you wish.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Guru

Hi Kieth,

If the behemoth diesel stove came out, a Hurricane Heater (or equivalent) would go in for heating the boat. We'd have to start from scratch for propane, so that adds to the cost/complications.

Hi Tad,

We wouldn't be using the oven for roasting turkeys or the like, just for baking cookies or pizzas etc, so fast heating in the oven (or on the burners) isn't really an issue. Cooking isn't a big part of our cruising...we're usually out hiking/photographing, not hanging around on the boat.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
Guru

Hi C lectric,

No, the noise of the diesel stove doesn't bug us at all, and thanks again for your advice on how to tease it back into good running order

The old beast does an 'okay' job at heating the boat, but the Hurricane would spread the heat much better, plus provide hot water, plus utilize engine heat while running. Much to like, but worth the cost/installation frustrations? Will be navel gazing on that one before any big move is made. Also, will have to realistically guesstimate how often we'll be cruising in the depths of winter.

We use methyl hydrate (cheaper and available in hardware stores) in the one burner Origo. What do you use?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I use denatured alcohol or often called 2D alcohol . I get it from Univar in Richmond,B.C. I purchase 3 x 5 gallon steel pails [actually 16Kg ea.] at a time using most of it in 2 years. They sell it by Kg.
I cannot give the specific name now as I am no where near home. They will sell 1 pail at a time but I don't find it's worth it due to the trip, ferry fare and the higher per pail cost so the three. You will be able to get it directly or through a local business. The local may be preferable if they already get supplies from Univar or someone like them.

The three pails cost me about $400. It's not cheap but to us it's worth it as it is definitely hotter and cleaner burning. I use 1 gal. oil jugs to carry it aboard as they can easily be stowed in areas that the 5 gal pail cannot fit. ALso easier and safer to refill the stove tank from and they are tougher than the typical plastic containers.

Record Chemical may/should have the denatured alcohol also but they did not want to be bothered with me when I approached them.

Yes to the Hurricane but they came along long after I had made my decision.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Murray,
We have a two burner alcohol stove which is original to the boat. Although I like it for the simplicity, we use a portable butane canister stove when extra heat is needed. Boiling a large pot of water takes forever with an alcohol stove.
I considered propane but it is a costly excercise and I don't have an obvious gas bottle storage area. The $15 butane stove seemed a much better option for me.

Keeping your diesel fired stove plus a little butane stove may work for your needs, too.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Keeping your diesel fired stove plus a little butane stove may work for your needs, too.

That's what I do.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote