Old 07-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #21
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
RE: Ordered our new head!

Well- it's all DONE! LONG day...worked til around 2 and then tore into the new head installation. Just now finished so took me about 5 hours all said and done but that included one trip to the hardware store and one to the marina ship's store and also taking the boat around to the fuel dock to pump out the holding tank.

it really wasn't too bad. New head is very nice and seems to work very good. NOTE: go pump out your holding tank BEFORE you start putting in a new head so that you don't have to deal with some, um, full discharge lines at the point of connection. Yuck!

Pics of the before, during, and after are attached (first pic is the original head, 2nd is the "during", third are the mounting brackets for the new head, 4th is the Marine Elegance fully installed, 5th is the new Smart Controls). Bigger bowl and looks pretty darn good if I do say so myself and as if it was always there. It was a rather odorous job due to me failing to pump out prior to tearing into things but other than that it was not bad. *I wish I could replace my entire discharge line all the way to the holding tank as it is very old but to get to it I would literally have to disassemble the muffler assembly for the main engine! *

Gonna see if my sister and her husband want my old jabsco head for their 42' sailboat they are restoring- works fine, just not as fancy as the marine elegance!

BUT the big test will occur soon...wife and kids are on the way here now so we shall see if they and my wife approve. *I have a feeling the kids are going to want me to redo their head as the biggest issue with the jabscos is they sat too tall on the their platforms by a few inches, as well as being generally noisy, etc.

All in all though it looks pretty good and hopefully the wife is happy. *

P.S. She is bringing our new bimini top with her too that arrived today so hopefully that fits and we'll be back in business.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head before.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	6505   Click image for larger version

Name:	head during.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	6506   Click image for larger version

Name:	brackets.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	6507   Click image for larger version

Name:	new head.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	6508   Click image for larger version

Name:	controls.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	6509  

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Looks good. I see you also moved it a tad towards the bench and gave a bit more elbow room against the wall - good move.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
... NOTE: go pump out your holding tank BEFORE you start putting in a new head so that you don't have to deal with some, um, full discharge lines at the point of connection. Yuck!

We actually did not pump out first.* Matt pointed out that our flushes go up hill to the Y valve then downhill all the way to the holding tank so as long as we flushed a bit first we'd be fine.* He was right.* Guess it depends on your set up. Now I will say the forward head was a lot nastier as the discharge lines on the aft head were new.* The one on the*foreward head was old and very much filled with the crystals that form from the the urine and salt water.* And that stuff smells.* We replaced that segment of hose.*

I am so happy for you!* Glad it went well and enjoy the new throne!

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote