Old Jabsco Freshwater system pump died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wbarnh

I have what looks like a Jabsco Diaphragm fresh water Pump that has a stripped gear on the diaphragm shaft. I can probably order a replacement part for around $70. This pump is probably the original on my 1977 GB. its obvious its been fixed multiple times and I even have 2 diaphragm/belt repair kits.

Need some risk management advice.
Am i just going to continue to chase problems with this 40 year old pump or should I buy new. If new should I replace with another diaphragm pump ($400) or a much less expensive unit ($200)
Thanks

Some of the newer quad diaphragm pumps (eg Jabsco Sensor Max) modulate their output to smooth out the water flow at the faucet and negate the need for an accumulator tank. I like the Jabsco diaphragm pumps for dewatering deep bilge sumps but would go with something different for a pressure water system.

Jabsco is discontinuing all those old style diaphragm pumps as the molds for the plastic parts wear out. The other parts will no longer be made either.

Now is a good time to upgrade to a modern pump. I'd follow bglad's advice and get one that allows you to get rid of the accumulator tank. A little extra room is always nice.

The Jabsco pump that bglad mentioned uses electronics to vary the speed of the pump to match the demand.

Shut-Flo has another approach. Their pump has a bypass built in. When ever the pressure drops enough to turn the pump on, the pump runs at full speed but any water in excess of demand is diverted back to the intake side of the pump.

So Jabsco uses electronics and Shur-Flo uses mechanical means to eliminate the need for an accumulator tank.

Some of the newer quad diaphragm pumps (eg Jabsco Sensor Max) modulate their output to smooth out the water flow at the faucet and negate the need for an accumulator tank. I like the Jabsco diaphragm pumps for dewatering deep bilge sumps but would go with something different for a pressure water system.

+1. That is what I would replace your pump with. If your system has an accumulator, remove it. You won't need it with this pump.

David

Those Jabsco PAR diaphragm pumps were designed and built by Fred and Barney. It amazes me that in 2017 they are still in service and they are a testament to the consumer habit of buying direct replacements.
25 years ago I provided parts to the CSY fleet of bareboat charter boats. With much prodding and a little math they finally figured that they could replace the PAR pumps with a Shurflow for a lot less money than the constant repairs and have a quieter and more reliable unit.

Any of the "new" breed of multiple diaphragm pumps are an improvement. I recently saw a post here about a brand I was not familiar with found at the Miami Boat Show. The poster was very impressed with performance, quiet and price.

Welcome to the 21 Century

:socool:

Last edited:
Keysdisease, they weren't made by Fred and Barney but by their neighbors, Peters and Russell. That's what PAR stands for. I think it was in the sixties that Jabsco bought Peters and Russell. The pump design goes back to the forties or earlier. I actually like the pumps because they are easy to understand and work on. The Bakelite pump housing is a real weak point. Very easy to crack if you over tighten a screw.

Most of the old Jabsco die because the accumulater in the line failed.

They spin at a high rate and destroy themselves when there is no air cushon to absorb the water as it slows down.

The modern units work well , but there is a caution.

On many to not need an accumulator and stop pulsing they bypass water internally .

This is smooth for the ladies , BUT the pressurized bypass water took energy from the house batts to work.

IF you anchor out a bunch the simple off/on style pump will cost less juice ,

just give it a 2 gal accumulator to keep it from cycling,

IF time is not a hassle I probably have the part you need free , just pay shipping...IF I can find the box of them.

Last edited:
I sure appreciate all the advice - This is exactly what I hoped to find on this forum. Sound advice to help a Newbie. Thank you all for your time and comments.

Stumbled onto the post I mentioned, it was not here but on another site, senior moment I guess:

"I bought a SeaFlow fresh water pump at the Miami boat show because our old one hammered. We have no expansion tank on our 2001 390. I was told due to the way it is made, no matter how little water went through it, it wouldn't cycle on on off, which is very loud on our boat with the old shur flo. I installed the new one and silence! No matter what the flow is, whisper quiet. I am very impressed. Model 42. Direct to consumer pricing......$59.00!! This is a new company with headquarters in Illinois. Very happy so far!!!"

I recently saw a post here about a brand I was not familiar with found at the Miami Boat Show. The poster was very impressed with performance, quiet and price.

:socool:

I too have the old Jabsco diaphram pump but the next time it needs service I will replace it and buy a spare for quick swap outs if needed.
The parts cost now for the old pump is much more than a new pump.
I like those pumps. I have three and will keep them for other purposes.

Back
Top Bottom