Old Groco Seacock/Strainer rebuild parts? Calling HopCar!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
I have several Groco SVS-1000 strainer/seacocks as well as an SVS-750. I can find very limited parts/rebuild kits for these. I have found one, "Repair Kit for Groco SVS Seacock/Strainer". I assume that the SVS series is one basic size and that this kit would fit both of mine? I really need new strainer baskets which are 2 1/2" x 5 /34" but can find nothing that matches. Mine have the standard stainless exterior basket but have an internal baffle so to speak that runs the length of the basket.

I bet HopCar knows!!!

No I haven't called them. One of those things I mean to get done every day and get going in my office on this that and the other and the day ends...no call to Groco. The only time I remember is later on when I am on the laptop and in TF. Also on the list is American Diesel to get a new drain knob for the bottom of an onboard fuel filter and an electrician to come out and go over the whole boat with me as I do not understand some things. I think I should take a day off. :) I have to tell you that there have been times when the advice given in here has been more appropriate and spot on than that given by several manufacturers. Groco (Model K head) included.

Last edited:
No I haven't called them. One of those things I mean to get done every day and get going in my office on this that and the other and the day ends...no call to Groco. The only time I remember is later on when I am on the laptop and in TF. Also on the list is American Diesel to get a new drain knob for the bottom of an onboard fuel filter and an electrician to come out and go over the whole boat with me as I do not understand some things. I think I should take a day off. :) I have to tell you that there have been times when the advice given in here has been more appropriate and spot on than that given by several manufacturers. Groco (Model K head) included.
Call Groco. You will find them to be very helpful.

The SVS series hasn't been made in about twenty years. The big rubber plug is no longer available and I don't think the strainer basket is either.
Here is a link to the parts list. https://www.groco.net/media/file/file/s/v/svs-series.pdf

If the rubber plug is shot, it's time to replace the whole thing.
It might be worth a call to Groco if you need a basket. The basket from their BVS might fit.

Thanks HopCar. I did contact Groco finally and they are getting back to me on strainer baskets as well as the black plugs. When I pull the boat I am going to take the seacocks apart and see what is what. I assume that the black plug will tell me what shape it is in just by looking...deformed...rotting/disintegrating? I want to get my sh... sorry, I want to have my act together before I pull the boat and take them apart though. Either have the service kit and plugs ready to go in or have replacements picked out. What other parts may need replacement? Seem pretty solid and are bronze, don't leak, open and close pretty easily. Last, if needed, what are good replacements for these?

If yours open, close and don't leak that only leaves the baskets. If you can get replacement baskets, you'll probably get a few more years.

The rubber will eventually harden and crack. If left in the closed position, the rubber will bulge into the opening making it hard to open. You can sand it down to keep it working for a while.

When you do replace them, the Groco BVS is their current version and it uses their excellent ball valve seacock. It will probably outlast the boat.
https://www.groco.net/products/raw-water-strainers/basket-strainer/bvs-series-valve-strainer-combo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom