Old 01-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
Obx

City: Outer banks NC
Oil Change System

What type of electric oil change systems are out there and where is the old oil pumped to.
Thanks
Obx
Obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
X-Change-R and Reverso make permanantly installed oil change pumps and systems. They are plumbed to a fitting on the bottom of the oil pan and have a hose that goes in a container for emptying or an oil jug for filling. There are different models for 1 or 2 engines and a genset.

Very easy to use. Drop the hose in a waste oil container and turn it on until no more oil pumps out. Then reverse a valve and drop the hose in a container of fresh oil to pump it in.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obx View Post
What type of electric oil change systems are out there and where is the old oil pumped to.
Thanks
Obx
Google it.

But basically there two main types of pumps, metal gear drive and impeller style.

I prefer gear drive since you almost never have to replace the gears and they can pump cold oil.

As to where the old oil goes, to a bucket, on board dirty oil tank, over board to a bucket, etc. Depends on the set up and where you want it to go.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Obx
I have the X-Change-R plumbed to main engine & gen.
I used to pump to a 5 gal container but have started saving my 1 Gal oil containers when filling and now pump directly to the 1 gal containers. This saves a step of filling them from the 5 gal container.
I either give them to a friend that has a waste oil burner for heat or recycle at my local service station.

Question for others...
I have been reluctant to refill using the system as I'd rather not pump the hose full of dirty back into the engine. Filling from the 1 gal containers using a funnel hasn't been a real chore. I figure there is already some residual left inthe engine why add more???
Wondering how others feel about this?
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Don:

The pump on my X-Change-R will pump air when all of the oil is out, so I believe that there is very little oil left in the plumbing- maybe a 1/4-1/2 cupful. Since at least 2 quarts are left anyway, that much oil is trivial.

So I use the system to refill. Very easy, particularly if you are filling from 2-1/2 gallon jugs. Takes about 1-1/2 of those jugs for my Yanmar 6LY. I save them to put the old oil in for the next change.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Don:

The pump on my X-Change-R will pump air when all of the oil is out, so I believe that there is very little oil left in the plumbing- maybe a 1/4-1/2 cupful. Since at least 2 quarts are left anyway, that much oil is trivial.

So I use the system to refill. Very easy, particularly if you are filling from 2-1/2 gallon jugs. Takes about 1-1/2 of those jugs for my Yanmar 6LY. I save them to put the old oil in for the next change.

David

What David said. ^
Old 01-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
PO installed a gear pump with three ball valves plumbed one each to both mains and gen. Open a valve, put hose in container and turn on switch. Takes maybe a minute or 2 to suck 15qts from a main. Turn off switch, close valve. No mess no fuss. Love it.
I also save enough empty oil containers in case I have to change oil in an emergency - like for water contamination from a failed oil HE.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have an x change system tied to engine, gear, and generator. Only use it to suck the old oil out. Prefer to pour the new oil in for less contamination. Each takes a different type of oil.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
I have an oil exchange system for the two mains and the generator. The generator has a valve at the oil pan to shut off the oil but the two main engines do not. I can't even touch the bottom of the oil pans. Is this normal and does anyone worry about a hose possibly splitting and losing the engine oil? I have plenty of things that keep me awake at night as it is.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
I have an oil exchange system for the two mains and the generator. The generator has a valve at the oil pan to shut off the oil but the two main engines do not. I can't even touch the bottom of the oil pans. Is this normal and does anyone worry about a hose possibly splitting and losing the engine oil? I have plenty of things that keep me awake at night as it is.
There are other things to worry about.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
I would be more worried about about the propane tank spontaneously exploding. The oil change hose is under almost zero pressure when the engine is running.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #12
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I have a pump out system using a gear pump and a waste oil tank with a deck fitting for pumping out. I have a section of hose between the oil pans and plumbing so vibration won't damage piping. I buy oil in 5 gallon buckets and don't find that difficult to fill engine oil. Most commercial fuel docks have an oil pump out hose or tube. Many commercial operators change their oil at the fuel dock.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have a Reverso pump. This is new to me and I have to admit that I love it. It is connected to my engine and the genset. Even though it has a triple manifold it is not connected to my transmission. I may do that in the future. I use a couple of three gallon plastic fuel jugs for the waste oil. They are easy to transport to the auto parts store and then poor into the waste oil container.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:35 AM   #14
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Obx
I have the X-Change-R plumbed to main engine & gen.
I used to pump to a 5 gal container but have started saving my 1 Gal oil containers when filling and now pump directly to the 1 gal containers. This saves a step of filling them from the 5 gal container.
I either give them to a friend that has a waste oil burner for heat or recycle at my local service station.

Question for others...
I have been reluctant to refill using the system as I'd rather not pump the hose full of dirty back into the engine. Filling from the 1 gal containers using a funnel hasn't been a real chore. I figure there is already some residual left inthe engine why add more???
Wondering how others feel about this?
I have U-lube oil chage systems Engine, gearbox and generator, work very fine. I would not change because the system off, it's fast, easy and, above all, to reduce cleaning. dirty oil is really disappointing to clean surfaces

Our questions. first empty the oil gearbox, generator and finally the engine. After implementing the reverse order. My engine takes 13 liters of new oil in the pipe if a cup of dirty oil, I think it does not affect much in relation to the new oil. Next, the generator it uses different oil than the end of the engine, and then again in different transmission oil quality. that's why this order to fill, Cummins wants 15W40 high demands on the API. the generator must not be used as "better quality" but it wants to old-time 15W40 oil. gearbox wants one type of SAE 30 oil. I believe that the volume of the tube is so small that it does not cause a change in the quality of oil which harm.
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:34 AM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Reverso system here. Re-fill with funnel and NOT the pump. Save empty containers for waste oil. 8-10 empty gallon containers do take up space but they are light and are stored in the FB "eyebrow". I will use the Reverso pump the next time I change transmission oil and since there is no drain plug in the transmission, I will have to draw out through the dipstick hole.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #16
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Ours is an Oil X-Change-R system, a model with metal impeller and a 5-gang manifold, plumbed to both mains, both gears, and the genset.

The metal impeller may or may not pump cold oil in our case; if it's too cold, either the onboard glass fuse or the circuit breaker at the panel may trip first. Hence our normal technique: run the boat (mains and genset) up the river and back, pump out old oil while it's still warm... enjoy the rest of the day, finish up the work the next day when the engine room and filters have cooled down.

I pump old oil to empty 5-gallon buckets, original lid still attached, with screw-on cap for the pour spout, for disposal usually into our marina's recycling tank.

It's a lot of work to open the engine room hatches to provide enough clearance to refill from the top... so we don't. We use the pump. (In fact, the boat builder carpeted over those hatches in the saloon, thinking refills would happen through the pump system. I fixed that, but still use the pump system to refill.)

Refilling is from a combination of 5-gallon buckets or 2½ gallon jugs (depending on which I find), 1 gallon bottles, and 1 quart bottles (latter mostly for filling the port oil filter once it's near the fitting, and upright)... plus some trial and error. Not too difficult, once normal quantities in each destination have been figured out and noted. For example, each gear takes 1 gallon. Easy. The 2½ gallon jugs have become my preference for the larger quantities, simply because they're easier to hump around compared to the 5 gallon pails.

I did give some thought to residual old oil in the system, but the quantities in any of the 5 lines would be very minimal.... so I don't worry much about that.

-Chris
Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #17
Guru

City: Northport
"Only use it to suck the old oil out. Prefer to pour the new oil in for less contamination."

"Re-fill with funnel and NOT the pump."

Yes - that is what we have been doing. Two mains, genset and two gears utilizing the pump tp remove old lubes.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #18

City: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obx View Post
Thanks
Obx

I installed a Groco gear pump system c/w 5 port manifold, for the 2 engines, 2 transmissions and the gen., and love it ! You can use this in reverse to fill, if you measure out the quantities before hand. The only problem you may have is having enough clearance under the engine(s) oil pan(s) to accommodate an angle fitting for the discharge hose. I used Hydraulic hose fittings ( hose too ) because they are shorter and can swivel which makes for easier assembly / connections. FB
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #19
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Hand pump for me. Not worth the money or the extra clutter in engine room. Takes 15min to suck five gal from pigtail hose permanently attached to bottom of main engine sump. Gennie and gear use suction bottle and little hose into dipstick tubes.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #20
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
or even larger

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
X-Change-R and Reverso make permanantly installed oil change pumps and systems. They are plumbed to a fitting on the bottom of the oil pan and have a hose that goes in a container for emptying or an oil jug for filling. There are different models for 1 or 2 engines and a genset.

Very easy to use. Drop the hose in a waste oil container and turn it on until no more oil pumps out. Then reverse a valve and drop the hose in a container of fresh oil to pump it in.

David
My boat came with a system plumbed to both generators, both engines and both transmissions - six lines in all.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote