Novakool leaking water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wwestman

Vessel Name
Excellent Adventure
Vessel Make
1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
When we bought our boat we noticed water damage under the novakool fridge/freezer. No water, just previous damage.
Fast forward one month, fridge/freezer works fine but twice we have noticed water under the freezer on the floor. Fridge on top, freezer below. No water in freezer or fridge just on the left side and below. No rhyme or reason obvious.

Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue? Freezer frozen solid, no thawing. Kinda weird.

Hate to pull it out to look for a problem when I can't replicate it consistently.

Condensation? Possible door seal leak? That could be an issue if the door doesn't seal all the time.

AS the refrigerant exits the box it still should have a bit of capacity left.

Most good running setups will show frost on the return line as it leaves the box.

Perhaps this is the source of some water ?

I thought of the door seal and am going to change how the door swings just to see if that moves the water.

The bottom under the freezer (the part that is visible) does not show water. But it could be migrating from the back between the bottom and the cabinet. That would require pulling the whole thing out to check. I was trying to avoid that unless somene had seen that before.

Our did the same thing, the return line foam (on the back left hand corner of the unit) has failed and ice up. Pulled the unit (it is easy) and replaced the old foam for new foam piece from our local air conditioner shop. Also put the whole unit in a low plastic tray when I reinstalled it just in case, the tray has remained dry.

Rochepoint, thanks for your info. I assumed we were not the first to have this happen. Gives me the right info to deal with it without stumbling in the dark.

Thanks again.

We have it too. It's a condensation issue on the door. It just happens to collect along the rubber gasket seal, but it's external. When you are using the boat wipe the seal when it is humid out. While off the boat, use a dehumidifier. You will really appreciate a dehumidifier for many reasons.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Back
Top Bottom