Old 08-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #41

RE: Nova Kool? Dometic? Norcold?

Well, I now have two months' time on my Nova Kool R4500 'fridge, and I'm pretty OK with it--not thrilled, but OK. It was the largest unit I could have in the space allotted in my 31- trawler. The freezer takes up more space than I would have liked, so there is limited space for tall bottles and cartons; I'm guessing those kinds of things will live in the ice chest inthe cockpit while cruising.

The folks at Long Beach Marine Refrigeration--about which I have nothing but good things to say--convinced me to install a DC-only unit, and so far I am glad I did. If I intend to use it while at anchor, however, I*will have to increase battery capacity or add solar panels or something as it runs the batteries down pretty quick: over a three-day weekend , the house batteries (four golf-cart batteries) ran down to about 25% in 36 hours before I plugged back in.

Which leads to my next question. There is a lovely-big crisper bin in the bottom of this unit. Could I put ice in that, either water ice or dry ice, and shut off the 'fridge when not under way? This seems sensible, but it also seems too easy a solution; on the other hand, it may be that this is exactly why there is such a big crisper bin in such a small 'fridge. Any experiences any of you have had using ice, either water ice or dry ice, to cool your DC refrigerators while at anchor would be deepley appreciated.

Chris Ericksen
Long Beach, CA

Chris491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #42
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Nova Kool? Dometic? Norcold?

The Novakools are made up in vancouver, BC. I got a walk through of the Plant. When I was looking to replace my Norcold, I gave them a hard look and liked them a lot, but the size I needed that would fit my built-in space was a strange layout, freezer on the bottom and a smaller fridg space, would have had to modify the space anyway! Norcold discontinued my size too, so I ended up settling for a used fridg pulled out of a 4788 Bayliner. Hopefully, it will last for a few years as I don't want to rebuild that enclosure. I have used ice in the crisper before and it will keep things like an ice chest. Just don't have any frost in the freezer or frozen liquids. It will melt and run everywhere!!

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 01:51:53 PM

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 08:54:42 PM

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #43
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
ARoss wrote:
When I "inherited" my MT34, a previous owner had installed an apartment-sized 120v Haier fridge.* Admiral loves having all that space, and since we are marina cruisers, it runs on shore power at home and at marina stops, and with a* dedicated 2000w inverter under way.* It's at least 9 years old, and shows no signs of rust or other deterioration from a marine environment.

We also carry a Honda 1000 genset for times when we do raft-ups, etc. and want to keep it cold.

You other MT34 owners will note that the port side of the salon was also modified to remove the upright cupboard and* settee, replacing with the fridge and a nav desk.

It's about 10 cu.ft. draws 11 amps. and probably cost $250-$300.* A look at Defender shows a 7 cu.ft. Norcold for $1280.* What am I missing?

-- Edited by ARoss on Sunday 13th of February 2011 09:30:16 AM

You are missing efficiency (less insulation, less efficient components) and the ability to just "set it and forget it".

I don't have to carry and run a gasoline powered portable generator with its CO and fuel risks, and I don't have to switch power sources frome shore power to inverter to generator.

All I have to do with my Nova Kool AC/DC refrigerator is turn it on and fill it up.**A caveman could do it.*
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:57 AM   #44
FF
Guru

" All I have to do with my Nova Kool AC/DC refrigerator is turn it on and fill it up. A caveman could do it. "

And on anchor what is your endurance? How many days till dead batteries or the noise maker has to recharge ?

The best toss in units for many folks are the Sun Frost , big (thick insulation) and efficient , but not cheap.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #45

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Nova Kool? Dometic? Norcold?

We also have the Nova Kool DC only fridge. We do have a solar panel that assists with keeping the batteries charged and it works well.

-- Edited by Adelaide on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 05:57:26 PM
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #46
FF
Guru

The OFF GRID folks believe it is far better to not need energy than have to create it and save it.

Someone that loves the hook, and QUIET!

Toss the boat and RV catalogues and look in the alt energy suppliers.

Home Power mag is on line free , look at their advertisers to get efficient , not low cost refrigeration/freezers.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #47
FF
Guru

www.sundanzer.com is one of the off grid units, that might be more efficient than boat or RV items.