Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Norcold DE-704C AC/DC Refridgerator

Mine stopped working, the Power Supply is getting power and is pretty hot to the touch so I am assuming thats its failed. However before I spend $260 for a replacement, I was hoping some other trawler owners could help me with thier exp.
patzfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
FF
Guru

The power supply changes whatever it is fed to about 20V.

Use a V meter to see if 20V is being provided to the compressor..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by patzfan4eva View Post
Mine stopped working, the Power Supply is getting power and is pretty hot to the touch so I am assuming thats its failed. However before I spend $260 for a replacement, I was hoping some other trawler owners could help me with thier exp.
That's not a valid assumption. The power supply could be fine but the compressor is drawing too much power from it.

You could spend $260 on a replacement power supply, install it and find you still have a problem. Then you could replace the compressor (at great cost) and see if that fixes it.

By the time you replace all the parts, you might spend more than a replacement refrigerator.

You could check the manufacturer's website for troubleshooting information or contact their support or technical department. Or call in a pro who has the tools and experience to figure out exactly what component is causing the problem.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the Advice, on contacting the MFG, they're out of business and I'm unable to get any answers. A new fridge is about $1000 plus tax and shipping. Not sure what a compressor for a small fridge would cost. I'd really like to keep the AC/DC fridge option, however with my onbaord inverter, maybe I'm hanging onto a silly little dream.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
We switched from a Norcold AC/DC fridge to a Nova Cool 12 volt DC fridge and have never regretted it. The fridge has now been running 24/7 for eight years, only turned off for defrosting. Our charger looks after the batteries when on shore power with the alternator or genset looking after the batteries the rest of the time.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the Advice, on contacting the MFG, they're out of business and I'm unable to get any answers..
Norcold Inc. Refrigerators

If you decide to replace the refrigerator, there are many AC/DC replacements available from other manufacturers. Nova Kool and Isotherm are two well thought of brands.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the web address, I did find that company but they're actually "the Ford Company" who seems to have purchased the Norcold name and they were no help at all. Interesting point made by Mike, maybe it would better to use a DC only fridge and save the load on the inverter?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the web address, I did find that company but they're actually "the Ford Company" who seems to have purchased the Norcold name and they were no help at all. Interesting point made by Mike, maybe it would better to use a DC only fridge and save the load on the inverter?
It's "Thetford" and they are a well established name in marine refrigeration and sanitation.

In my opinion, if you decide to replace the refrigerator, your best bet is an AC/DC refrigerator. One designed for the marine market.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: seymour, Ct.
Vessel Model: 1980 Mainship MS1
Just out of curiosity, did it stop working on AC or DC or both?
rhakct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

On both sources I got nothing....I have the power supply out and am researching the manual to see if there's more info I can use. One thing to add is that the transformer on within the power supply was humming while connected. Don't know if that was normal or not as when the fridge would click on the motor would have been to loud.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

ok - I was just wondering, as mine stopped working this spring on AC power - trouble shot that down to a bad power supply to the relay that switches it from AC to DC - fixed that and everything was good till the 4th of July weekend when it stopped working on DC - the inverter box on mine was hot to the touch so I disconnected the 12 volt supply and have been running it on AC only till I troubleshoot it again.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Got it apart on my desk as we speak trying to determine whats bad, seems like it may be my transformer.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

you got Norcolds trouble shooting guide?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

yes, its somewhat confusing but its painting a picture of what to check. However now that I've dug into it....why, if the transformer is bad, is the refrigerator not clicking on via the 12v input? Maybe the relay so back to the boat to reconnect and trouble shoot with power on!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

if you'll send me your e-mail address to rhakey92@aol.com I'll send you the best diagram of this thing I've found - might help you understand - It doesn't seem to fit into this forums attachment size guidelines
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Just curious if you've made any headway?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Not yet, using a multi-meter I have established its probably the transformer, but now I'm having trouble finding the replacement. The entire assembly isn't available either so the search continues....
Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Unfortunately the tRANSFORMER works in both AC & DC modes, not just one or the other so if it dies, it's dead.
It steps up and down depending upon which V source is being used ++ it supplies the signal to the transistors to produce the oscillation needed to run as an inverter.

There may be a schematic on the back of the fridge as there was on mine.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

never say never - check out this link, item 14A in particular -
little pricey for me but...

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&shdMod=DE-704
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Thanks for the Advice, on contacting the MFG, they're out of business and I'm unable to get any answers.
Norcold out of business????

Are you sure?

Wow! I replaced my Norcold this spring and almost bought another one.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote