Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #81
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
I use technology like this iPad and my international smartphone and the latest state of the art editing and effects systems where it makes sense to use it. I don't use technology for technology's sake.

LEDs would give us a little better light on the boat but not so much better than the time and hassle of cobbling some soldered-up adapter is worth to me.

Ready-made, drop-in replacement lamp, great. Something I have to piss around figuring out and soldering together, no.
__________________
Advertisement

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #82
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I use technology like this iPad and my international smartphone and the latest state of the art editing and effects systems where it makes sense to use it. I don't use technology for technology's sake.

LEDs would give us a little better light on the boat but not so much better than the time and hassle of cobbling some soldered-up adapter is worth to me.

Ready-made, drop-in replacement lamp, great. Something I have to piss around figuring out and soldering together, no.
I understand what you mean. There are lots of things that could do with upgrading in my 1944/71 farm house in Oregon but why, things still work and there are always flashy new doo dads to spend money on.

Best wishes
__________________

__________________
Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #83
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
And why would I want to dick around doing that when we can still get the original incandescent bulbs? Given the rate at which the originals burn out I'll be able to use the handful of spares we have on the boat now to light the inside of my coffin when I want to read a few decades from now.
I think we get it. You want to stay in the dark ages as long as possible. Just be carefull out there, you might sail off the edge of the earth!
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #84
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I think we get it. You want to stay in the dark ages as long as possible. Just be carefull out there, you might sail off the edge of the earth!
Dark ages???..aint that politics?
__________________
Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #85
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I think we get it. You want to stay in the dark ages as long as possible. Just be carefull out there, you might sail off the edge of the earth!
No, I understand there's a fence around it to prevent things like that.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #86
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
If you have a spot for it ANY old fridge makes a great paint locker.

Just put a padlock on it to keep kids out.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #87
Veteran Member
 
City: seymour, Ct.
Country: us
Vessel Model: 1980 Mainship MS1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 31
Wink

Why replace a fridge that STILL keeps the beer cold? and I still like my flip phone too...
rhakct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #88
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhakct View Post
Why replace a fridge that STILL keeps the beer cold? and I still like my flip phone too...
The best phone i ever had was a motorola flip phone. Cold beer is what its all about....geez....you would think they would already know that??
__________________
Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #89
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhakct View Post
Why replace a fridge that STILL keeps the beer cold? and I still like my flip phone too...
A good place for a flip phone would be in the fridge,and it`s not likely to warm the beer.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #90
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
A good place for a flip phone would be in the fridge,and it`s not likely to warm the beer.
any phone. that way it won't wring
__________________
Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #91
Veteran Member
 
City: seymour, Ct.
Country: us
Vessel Model: 1980 Mainship MS1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 31
the ringer you can shut off, your fancy "smart" phone that eats up your battery in less than 24 hours? I agree - put it in the fridge
rhakct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #92
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhakct View Post
the ringer you can shut off, your fancy "smart" phone that eats up your battery in less than 24 hours? I agree - put it in the fridge
Well the fact is I find the smart phone cheaper than any other and yet i dislike the thing. I get unlimited and very fast internet anywhere it will work for less than forty bucks and that includes on the water. Internet i can use on my laptop or my desktop even at the same time. I always have in my pocket gps tracking when i choose to use it so i wont get lost and that includes even areas without cell phone service or on the water. this service is free, app name is My Tracks, I can get weather or info on just about anything or place in cell phone areas.
Without the smart phone it would cost me $79 per month or more just for internet and i could only use it at one location. For the gps i could buy one of them gadgets but then i would also have to keep purchasing the map update but with the smart phone and my tracks its all free.
They are good things but i still dislike them and all phones
__________________
Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #93
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
Cold beer is what its all about..

However most fridges only keep the box at 38-40F .

COLD BEER is kept on ice ,the mug to imbibe from is kept in the freezer.

ICED BEER is easy to do with the remarkable insulation of high buck ice chests.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #94
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Cold beer is what its all about..

However most fridges only keep the box at 38-40F .

COLD BEER is kept on ice ,the mug to imbibe from is kept in the freezer.

ICED BEER is easy to do with the remarkable insulation of high buck ice chests.
I can tell we have a real connisour here....question, can life exsist without beer?
__________________
Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #95
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
...............question, can life exsist without beer?
After being forced to give up alcohol consumption for medical reasons four years ago, I can tell you that yes, life can exist without beer.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #96
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
After being forced to give up alcohol consumption for medical reasons four years ago, I can tell you that yes, life can exist without beer.
sorry to hear that. A co-worker almost killed himself drinking milk. He loved milk and it caused his kidneys to quit. He was very fortunate in that by going on a very strict diet and taking pills everyday for sex years his kidney function returned. He now is back to normal but still avoids dairy products for the most part
__________________
Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #97
Guru
 
alormaria's Avatar
 
City: Trenton
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

sorry to hear that. A co-worker almost killed himself drinking milk. He loved milk and it caused his kidneys to quit. He was very fortunate in that by going on a very strict diet and taking pills everyday for sex years his kidney function returned. He now is back to normal but still avoids dairy products for the most part
Need to know more about the sex years? Does this cure psorisis?
__________________
Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
"Angelina"
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #98
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Need to know more about the sex years? Does this cure psorisis?
..opps....my mistake, I meant six years. sorry
__________________
Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #99
Veteran Member
 
City: seymour, Ct.
Country: us
Vessel Model: 1980 Mainship MS1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 31
I don't know, but when I get out of work on a 90 degree plus day ( with no AC at work ) and stop at the boat on my way home, open the cabin which is over 100 degrees inside - that 38 degree beer in the fridge tastes mighty fine! Not sure a glass of milk would work quite as well but I'll concede to anybody with medical issues that restrict them.
rhakct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #100
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhakct View Post
I don't know, but when I get out of work on a 90 degree plus day ( with no AC at work ) and stop at the boat on my way home, open the cabin which is over 100 degrees inside - that 38 degree beer in the fridge tastes mighty fine! Not sure a glass of milk would work quite as well but I'll concede to anybody with medical issues that restrict them.
you know for a lot of years i loved to go on tortourous hikes in the hottest time of the year and drink nothing just so i could make two three four cold ones waiting for me in the cooler for my return disapear in a flash. I think they would evaporate before they hit my stomach but they tasted oh so good. I have stopped doing that cause i almost killed myself by doing this when a kid at 63. Now i even take water with me. yep, you heard right, water. Thats that flat tasting stuff you wash your car with
__________________

__________________
Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012