Old 08-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Marina Del Rey, CA
Vessel Name: Mayhem
Vessel Model: CHB 34' Tri-Cabin
Some company called the Ford Co now owns or runs Norcold and offer no support (according to them) for older Norcold product. Sears lists the replacements parts for the unit, but when you order it they decline the order saying that the part is no longer available. I'm thinking that the best course of action is to purchase a new unit instead of trying to fix this one.

patzfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: seymour, Ct.
Vessel Model: 1980 Mainship MS1
Well, I don't want to push you in that direction but if that's the way you go I be willing to pay the shipping if you'd consider shipping the power unit/pallet or whatever you want to call it...maybe I could salvage something off it for mine when I pull the boat out for the winter.

rhakct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by patzfan4eva View Post
Some company called the Ford Co now owns or runs Norcold .............
Again, it's "Thetford", not "the Ford Co".

If you can get off the idea of fixing it yourself, there are qualified repair technicians out there who can probably repair your refrigerator if you don't take it apart any further. They have the knowledge and experience and have sources for parts.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #24

Norcold

I have a Norcold 704 that the freezer is ice cold but the main refrigerator not real cold.Any ides what to look for?

Thanks,
John
JCDSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Make sure there is no insulation between the freezer evaporator plate and the lower box.

Most likely is poor seals on the fridge door.

Do the drag the dollar trick and repair the leak.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #26

City: Spring Lake
It was interesting to follow the Fridge issue and the related problems. My Norcold is getting so noisy that I decided to replace the thing this winter with something AC/DC. Other than the Norcold or the Nova Cool, is there anything else out there worth looking at.
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #27
FF
Guru

I have a unit that has a burnt out compressor.

Hooking power to the supply seems to show the power supply is fine.

Take the whole unit (it looks almost new) and its yours for the price of coming to get it.

Long drive from the left coast , but the offer is open to anyone.

Ortona FL 33471
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale View Post
It was interesting to follow the Fridge issue and the related problems. My Norcold is getting so noisy that I decided to replace the thing this winter with something AC/DC. Other than the Norcold or the Nova Cool, is there anything else out there worth looking at.
We installed a Vitrifrigo unit in out boat.

We're very happy with it. Very good construction.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Isotherm is well thought of.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: seymour, Ct.
Vessel Model: 1980 Mainship MS1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
I have a unit that has a burnt out compressor.

Hooking power to the supply seems to show the power supply is fine.

Take the whole unit (it looks almost new) and its yours for the price of coming to get it.

Long drive from the left coast , but the offer is open to anyone.

Ortona FL 33471
I'd love to get the power supply from you, but that's a little too far from connecticut to manage in a weekend drive
rhakct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #31
Guru

City: Trenton
I've had a cheap chinese Haier 110v unit for the last 12 years. If I'm going to be gone for a while and I'm at a dock, I plug it directly into 110v land line. Otherwise it just runs on the inverter.

A screen door lock keeps it closed. Brass... so's it's nautical like.
alormaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #32

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
The Norcold unit on my old Marine Trader 44 (1978 vintage) is original. It sometimes shakes, rattles, and rolls, and seems to run continuously when it's hot down here in the Redneck Riviera (northern Gulf of Mexico coast), but it still works. When replacement time comes I may go the route so many of my buds have recommended...putting in a cheap 120volt AC unit. Anybody out the with comments on this?
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #33

City: Spring Lake
I have trouble sleeping and the noise from my old Norcold is driving me nuts. I have gotten used to pretty much all the noses the boat makes, but the fridge is never consistent.So I have to find something that is quiet.
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #34
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
I have trouble sleeping and the noise from my old Norcold is driving me nuts. I have gotten used to pretty much all the noses the boat makes, but the fridge is never consistent.So I have to find something that is quiet.
----------------------------------------

If you haven't already done so, pull your refer out and take a look at the compressor mounting bracket and how it mounts to the back of the refer. On mine everything was tight, but the copper return line loop between the condenser and the compressor was vibrating, causing a harmonic vibration, which was amplified by the metal back of the refer. A block of foam placed between the line and the back of the fridge stopped the vibration and the noise.

Larry B,
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #35
FF
Guru

.putting in a cheap 120volt AC unit. Anybody out the with comments on this?

Dockside its fine.

Overnight on an inverter house boxes are poor.

The bigger they are the worse power hogs.

The reason is the insulation is thin and minor so the box volume reads well on the spec sheet.

The downside is most use a internal insulation heater setup to drive the moisture out of the crap insulation, which eats loads of power.

Feel your new dirt home fridge , it will at times be warm around the door seals.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #36

City: Joe Wheeler
Vessel Name: About Time
Vessel Model: Albin 40 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDSAIL
I have a Norcold 704 that the freezer is ice cold but the main refrigerator not real cold.Any ides what to look for?

Thanks,
John
I am not sure about the 704 but some refrigerators have two compressors, one for the top and the other for the bottom. My bottom compressor went out and made my refrigerator only cool to about 50 degrees, the freezer was fine. It was probably a 1989 model. Ended up replacing it and used the old one for a shop cooler.
About Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #37

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
+1 on the Isotherm.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -
We have a Norcold AC/DC undercounter refrigerator/freezer on our boat. Installed by PO so it's now at least 15 years old. It began having a cycling problem about three years ago so we first looked into having it repaired. Called all the refrigerator repair shops in the Puget Sound area that were listed as Norcold service centers. All of them told us the same thing.

They absolutely hated the units and for the most part, refused to work on them. The one shop who said they would still work on them said we'd have to remove the unit from the boat and bring it in, at which point they would look at it but the chances are it could not be fixed and parts were made of unobtainium.

The biggest source of complaint by the service centers was the compressor, which they said was absolute rubbish and was based on this weird 24 VAC inverter (IIRC) system that made no sense whatsoever and was impossible to fix. And you couldn't replace it because they weren't available for older units anymore.

Even the one shop I talked to that still sold Norcold said never buy one.

So..... based on that depressing turn of events we started researching a replacement and in the end decided on an Isotherm unit. Our requirements were AC/DC, fit in the same space the Norcold does (with only minor spacer adjustments if necessary) use the same wiring that went to the Norcold, and has a Danfoss compressor.

We selected a model that fits this bill perfectly but we have yet to buy and install one. The Norcold fixed itself about the same time we changed the battery system on the boat, so the problem may have been related to that and not the Norcold itself, and it has been running just fine ever since.

Our policy on our boat is never to replace anything unless it fails or no longer does the job we need it to do, so we will keep the Norcold, as inefficient as it is by today's standards, until such time as it truly does crap out. At which point, assuming things are the same, we will go with Isotherm.

All the shops we talked to said the average life span of a Norcold unit is five years. The only reason I can come up with for the longevity of ours is that since buying the boat it has never been switched off. Even when the boat is hauled out in the yard it's on groundpower and the refrigerator is on. We keep it stocked year round because we use the boat year round so perhaps continuous use is good for it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
............ Our policy on our boat is never to replace anything unless it fails or no longer does the job we need it to do, ..........
I don't really have a formal policyy for my boat, but I have replaced things just because I didn't like them (the carpet with synthertic teak and holly flooring) and I would replace something that hasn't failed yet but is showing signs of impending failure. Like a leaking potable water pump that still pumped OK. And I added an accumulator tank to prolong the life of the replacement pump and give smoother water delivery.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -
Our "don't replace unless failed or no longer does the job that's needed" applies to the boat's current systems. It does not apply to things like carpet and coffee mugs, nor does it apply to adding equipment that's deemed necessary or beneficial.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote