Norcold DE-0041 not working on DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orvals

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Ohana
Vessel Make
Californian 34
Hello all:

Anybody have any experience with this issue?

It is a loud and shaky fridge , but it has been working really well since I got the boat. Just went out for a 5 day trip, Genset during the day, DC at night. On the third day the unit stopped changing from AC to DC, now only works on AC.
Any hidden fuses or tricks before I call the refri guy?

Thanks!

The built in inverter probable is toast.
We bought a portable 900 watt inverter and installed it near the 12 VDC plug. (See photo) We have since replaced the old Norcold with a 115 VAC refrigerator/freezer that fits the same area and can use the installed inverter to run the new refrigerator on 12 VDC if needed.
Bill

Attachments

• Refrigerater inverter.jpg
    Refrigerater inverter.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 102
Hello all:

Anybody have any experience with this issue?

Any hidden fuses or tricks before I call the refri guy?

I've had two Norcold's die that way. You can do like the previous poster mentioned and buy a small inverter to plug the Norcolds AC plug into. It's just not as convenient as the built in inverter which automatically switches. They do make auto switching inverters, but they're usually more expensive. The fridge will probably continue working on the AC side for years.

I assume you have a Danforth compressor. If so, look up the troubleshooting sequence on the interweb and test everything first. When we bought our boat, the 110 side wasn't working and I assume it was the inverter that is part of the fridge. It wasn't high on our list because 12 volt worked and the boat is at the dock all with with the battery charger on. This year the fridge died all together. I ran through the troubleshooting and determined it was the fridge controler. Installed a new controller and now it works on both 12 volt and 120 AC. I believe the newer controllers have the inverter function built into the controller, but models like ours (2002) have it as a separate unit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom