Non opening windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea hag

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Prima Seahorse
Our salon windows do not open, and while not an issue with ACon working, would like another option. We realized this issue at purchase, but was one of the compromises. Other than replacing some of the very large windows, any suggestions for obtaining outside fresh air ? We have large sliding door at the stern and 3 small ceiling mounted fans for additional circulation.

Thanks for suggestions.

Bite the bullet , you saved on the initial cost ,so now its time to spend some bucks.

Look at the various window mfg and find the lowest cost that will work to your template.

Bite the bullet , you saved on the initial cost ,so now its time to spend some bucks.

Look at the various window mfg and find the lowest cost that will work to your template.

Who are some quality window mfgs ?

Any way to open up any forward-facing hatches or windows? The best solution is always to get a cross-breeze. And if you're at anchor or on a mooring, you usually face into the wind.

Unfortunately, no. Hatch in ceiling of forward berth provides small relief. But thanks for suggestion.

Maybe you could provide us with some pictures of your fwd windows to we can see the issue. Some boats have windshield panels that hinge at the top and swing out for ventilation.

My boat has similar issues with no opening windows, but we have a stbd door and twin sliders aft that provide suitable fresh air. We augment this with fans and a Breeze Booster on those hot days at anchor. The Breeze Booster is quite effective on our little boat.

img_179683_0_8bbf519bc2c2f6ecd8fb66442c5f0578.jpg

PHP:
Other than replacing some of the very large windows, any suggestions for obtaining outside fresh air ? .
Boy, do I know where you are coming from! I had that problem (along with others ) on the first big boat I ever bought. I struggled to come up with a solution but to no avail. (Short of redoing a bunch of expensive windows.) Since there were also other "warts" that we didn't think of and the fact that we bought too big a boat, our solution was to change boats and get something that fit the mission at that time.

Since then, (1995) the mission has evolved but the lessons have not been ignored. We now have a pocket trawler that fits our mission perfectly and has "vents galore!"(Among other things it also has an innerspring mattress, single engine, bow thruster, separate shower, etc,....all things we didn't have on the other 7 boats. :blush:

Attachments

• STBD View.jpg
    STBD View.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 117
I elected not to have sliding windows in the salon...they are usually trouble after just a short time. The 2 doors provide cross ventilation with screens and there is one front and two rear top hinges windows. My theory is if the winds are so light that there's no air movement without the sliding salon windows...I would probably need a fan anyhow to provide air circulation.

I have had Bomon custom build nine windows on a previous boat and tweve on my curreent boat. Great product, not nearly as expensive as you would think ... I would buy them again.

One possibility would be to inspect the space under the windows .

IF it is basically open, windows can be made to drop in slides with some work and little cost. The Std in the 20,s and 30,s .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom