Noflex in the PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dw8928

Vessel Name
Silver
Vessel Make
Helmsman 31
Anyone have an opinion (preferably educated :angel:) about the efficacy of Noflex in a cool temp environment?

I used an active bacteria additive previously and the cool temps made it's usefulness sporadic. Noflex seems to rely on chemical treatment.

Anyone have an opinion (preferably educated :angel:) about the efficacy of Noflex in a cool temp environment?

I used an active bacteria additive previously and the cool temps made it's usefulness sporadic. Noflex seems to rely on chemical treatment.

Works great. I think the company is out of BC. Nanaimo, possibly.

We don't have a long history with this product but started using it several weeks ago based on many positive recommendations from others here and on another forum.

Based on what I've seen (and smelled) the stuff works great. The pumpout boat here has a nice clear hose so I can see the affluent discharge as it's coming out. With Noflex the discharge seems to be more clear and more fluid, suggesting that it does as advertised.

We're currently in Victoria, BC.

Cheers!

It is made in Canada. Oddly enough though, I haven't seen it for sell here, just in the states. Hmm

We started to use it on Kinship shortly after we got her last year. We had been using KO as we had on our sailboat but Kinship didn't have adequate venting to get enough O2 into the holding tank. On the recommendation from a number o TFers, I tried the Noflex and it has worked really well. I put a cap full in the holding tank each time we are on the boat and it has eliminated all head odor and also gotten rid of the sludge that had accumulated on the insides of the tank from the years of the PO not rinsing the tank when the holding tank was emptied.

I ended up buying a box of it from Fisheries Supply and have been very happy with it.

Good stuff, just need to remember to use it more often. Seems to help in the smell dept. as well as the float gauges are more reliable.

Sea Q's post is very modest. He's the Noflex guy.

For OP, we've been using Noflex for at least two years now, maybe three, and it seems to work fine in all of our normal boating seasons. Don't use it in winter when we're laid up, but cool Spring and Fall, no issues.

We used KO before, and it too worked fine... but Noflex is slightly easier for us to meter over the life-time of a holding tank's worth of...

If you decide to try it, I suggest you order in bulk (4 or 6 bottles at a time), 'cause shipping charges suck.

-Chris

Modest
Gee that's a nice compliment Thanks
I learned a long time ago that.
Not to believe you have the only and the best product out there.
Let the product prove it.
That's why the soft sell

The Noflex will work in cold water areas as well, Canadian Coast guard ship left last week for the artic and is using Noflex with their sewage system for 6 years Works great for them.
It does work a little faster in warm waters, which helps because more gases are produced because of the heat.
Check out Zaal,Noflex Digestor, sewage treatment,Holding Tank Treatment,Septic system treatment,Head treatment,boat holding tank treatment ,holding tank waste treatments,RV holding tank treatments,boat head treatments,RV head treatments, Gemini Ltd.
A lot of information and tricks
We believe in customer support so don't be shy asking questions

I have used it for the past 10 years. This boat we just bought in October had a slight odor, but it was gone after just 2 days of using Noflex. I buy it from Marine Sanitation in Seattle where you can get a discount if you buy a larger quantity. I buy a case (12) at a time.

I'm located near the Canada /USA border at Crescent Beach BC and have owned a 38' trawler with a stinky head for about one year. I first tried Noflex and it definetly helped a lot but didn't resolve the odor problem which would permeate the whole front of our boat within 3 or 4 days of inactivity. My next step was to replace the seawater intake hose, all the hoses downstream of the toilet, remove and clean the holding tank and install a new macerator and discharge hoses. We went on a four day cruise after this and the stink returned.
WTF could be causing this problem???? How about seawater bacteria fermenting in the toilet bowl for a few days and starting to smell? I began filling the toilet bowl with a pot of fresh water from the sink after every flush and also prior to heading back home.
"Viola" no more stink! My next step is definetly going to be changing my toilet to fresh water flush. I havn't worked out the details regarding siphoning and possible contamination feeding back but I'm sure there will be away.
My wife will be soooo happy!

How about seawater bacteria fermenting in the toilet bowl for a few days and starting to smell?

My next step is definetly going to be changing my toilet to fresh water flush.

If your flushwater inlet holes are just under the rim, that can be a place for "fermentation" too.

There are conversion kits, depending on the brand of your original. Or it might not be much more (or prohibitively) expensive to just replace the the raw water toilet with a new freshwater system from the ground up.

-Chris

Me and my wife live aboard. Found out about Noflex a year ago and we won't be using anything else. Awesome stuff. We are in Sequim, Washington

Our sailboat had raw water flush and the only time it would smell is after that first flush after sitting for a while. Not a big deal in my opinion. When the head is being used daily, you don't get the smell. When leaving the boat, I would use fresh water to do a flush so there would be nothing but fresh water sitting in the lines between the head and holding tank.

Hello: Wondering if anyone on the forum has had the problem of a dirty diesel fuel tank. I have gotten quotes from around 4,000 to do a "polishing" but would not like to pay that much.

Is there someone here that has done that cleaning, and can tell me the procedure?

Hello: Wondering if anyone on the forum has had the problem of a dirty diesel fuel tank. I have gotten quotes from around 4,000 to do a "polishing" but would not like to pay that much.

Is there someone here that has done that cleaning, and can tell me the procedure?

That's such a radically different topic (relative to Noflex and holding tanks) that maybe you starting a new thread would be useful.

I suspect the are some existing threads on polishing, too... so the search tool may augment your findings...

Edit: Ah. I see you did...

-Chris

Last edited:
Well I've purchased Noflex at Fisheries Supply. Will see what happens. No news is good news on this topic. The hoses for the tank are Trident Sanitary hoses.

On a previous boat, I personally removed those old white hoses (which absolutely allow vapor penetration and smell) and replaced with Trident to great effect. Though I did need to see a psychiatrist for a while after that trauma. The worst part of replacing those hoses was dealing with the subtle loops that retained effluent. Kind of like snake charming cept the snake was lactose intolerant.

So hopefully Noflex is going to be the trifecta of treatment options.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom