Old 08-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
New refrigerator with or without ice maker?

Getting ready to buy a new refrigerator/freezer. I can buy the exact same unit with or without an ice maker. Trying to decide if it's worth the extra $300. I don't use ice and often travel alone. While I can remove the ice tub when not in use, the ice maker takes up valuable space in the 2.4 cuft. freezer. I also have a stand alone ice maker that I'm thinking about removing as I rarely use it and would prefer to have another cabinet in that space.

If you have a smaller boat (with an RV or apartment refrigerator) would you be willing to give up freezer space for an automatic ice maker? If I were drinking 100 year old booze over ice, frankly I'd rather have my ice made with spring water instead of municipal water from my boat's water tank, but then I drink beer from a bottle.

As a side note, this unit's (10 cuft. refrigerator) power consumption goes up by 33% when making ice.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I think you answered your own question. You don't use ice, it takes up freezer space, uses more power and costs more money.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Getting ready to buy a new refrigerator/freezer. I can buy the exact same unit with or without an ice maker. Trying to decide if it's worth the extra $300. I don't use ice and often travel alone. While I can remove the ice tub when not in use, the ice maker takes up valuable space in the 2.4 cuft. freezer. I also have a stand alone ice maker that I'm thinking about removing as I rarely use it and would prefer to have another cabinet in that space.

If you have a smaller boat (with an RV or apartment refrigerator) would you be willing to give up freezer space for an automatic ice maker? If I were drinking 100 year old booze over ice, frankly I'd rather have my ice made with spring water instead of municipal water from my boat's water tank, but then I drink beer from a bottle.

As a side note, this unit's (10 cuft. refrigerator) power consumption goes up by 33% when making ice.

Ted

I agree with Ken.

BTW I discovered this really cool device that allows you to make ice in any compartment that consistently stays below 0 C. You fill this device with water and place it in the compartment. After a reasonably short amount of time, the liquid water is converted into ice. It might just be what you would be looking for on those rare occasions when you want some ice on board.

You may have to Google it but I imagine you might be able to find one.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I think you answered your own question. You don't use ice, it takes up freezer space, uses more power and costs more money.

Ken
Exactly, I wonder why you asked?

We loved having an ice maker in the fridge and a dedicated one out on the aft deck. We had all sorts of uses for ice. But that was us, not you.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Ted

I have a like new ice maker that has water running over the ice that I can give you.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Exactly, I wonder why you asked?

We loved having an ice maker in the fridge and a dedicated one out on the aft deck. We had all sorts of uses for ice. But that was us, not you.
Perception, expectations of guests and down the road resale. While I tend to outfit my boat for my needs and desires, I also consider what friends and guests may want or expect. I known that may sound silly, but most of us have made concessions to things on our boats that were unimportant to us. An example might be when replacing a head, choosing one that was much quieter to flush or maybe was sized like a home toilet instead of a toilet sized for a small child.

Ted
Old 08-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OC. You can buy an awful lot of ice for $300. Let those moochers in Ft. Pierce buy their OWN ice!

Pretty well the ONLY time I can see you might need ice is for an ice bag to ease the pain of the night before BUT the same thing can easily be achieved by those soft gel freeze packs that you can keep in the freezer...
Old 08-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. OC. You can buy an awful lot of ice for $300. Let those moochers in Ft. Pierce buy their OWN ice!

Pretty well the ONLY time I can see you might need ice is for an ice bag to ease the pain of the night before BUT the same thing can easily be achieved by those soft gel freeze packs that you can keep in the freezer...
Mr. RT, the ice isn't for others at the dock, prefer to spend my nights on the hook where ice isn't available.

I may drink a few adult beverages, but I don't drink enough to ever regret it. It's more entertaining to watch others do it.

Ted
Old 08-30-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Mr. RT, the ice isn't for others at the dock, prefer to spend my nights on the hook where ice isn't available.

I may drink a few adult beverages, but I don't drink enough to ever regret it. It's more entertaining to watch others do it.

Ted

When I first got our NP43 one of the things that I found I really liked was a bit of ice for an adult beverage. Since I also don’t ever drink enough to become intoxicated, I don’t need much ice. I have an ice tray and will empty it into a freezer bag that I keep in the freezer. It give me a bit of ice when I want it without costing me any money.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The no ice version. You or a buyer can add a countertop plug in icemaker as and when needed.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:24 AM   #11
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
We took out the icemaker in favour of the extra freezer space.
Its easy to use ice cube trays.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:55 AM   #12
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We have a Rigid freezer box on deck. Any time we stop in a maiina, we can pick up a bag of cubes for a couple bucks that lasts for weeks. Even without power cubes will last for days.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:00 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Another thing to consider, from what I have heard more than 50% of modern refrigerator repairs have to do with the ice dispensers in the door. The added complexity of the circuit boards is a continuing problem.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:44 AM   #14
Guru

City: Anacortes
First thing I do when I start a trip of more than a couple days is plug in the stand alone ice maker and start making ice. One of those ice makers without a freezer. I then transfer the ice to my frig/freezer and chest freezer until full. As food comes out of the freezer, I replace it with ice. When everything is full and solid frozen, I can turn off the freezer for a day at a time when at anchor and save on my daily amp-hour budget. It’s a way of storing energy, like cheap battery capacity.

Just one more element to consider.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:19 AM   #15
FF
Guru

Go to a yard sale and purchase a few ice trays.

Keep one operational , and you will have almost all the freezer space for your use.

Should you plan a party , by a $2.00 bag of ice , or put in a half dozen ice trays the night before.

KISS
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:44 AM   #16
Guru

Have decided against the ice maker in the freezer and will either do trays or a countertop unit. Making ice with a countertop unit through the inverter while underway seems like a good option.

Ted
Old 08-31-2018, 07:02 AM   #17
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Perception, expectations of guests and down the road resale. While I tend to outfit my boat for my needs and desires, I also consider what friends and guests may want or expect. I known that may sound silly, but most of us have made concessions to things on our boats that were unimportant to us. An example might be when replacing a head, choosing one that was much quieter to flush or maybe was sized like a home toilet instead of a toilet sized for a small child.

Ted

It’s pretty funny. I often find that by gathering and organizing my thoughts and putting them in writing often answers my own question, or comes pretty close.

I also worry about precluding things that other owners might find important. In your case, perhaps keep the small ice maker so someone can reinstall it if desired. We did exactly that on a previous boat since we didn’t need a full bar at every turn.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
We have an undercounter ice maker up on deck. Makes 23lbs a day.
Attached Thumbnails
CB27A4AF-4F89-40E7-92F7-8BBD7F4F917E.jpg   FCB12091-6C46-4FA9-B0CA-8774E9701515.jpg  
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It’s pretty funny. I often find that by gathering and organizing my thoughts and putting them in writing often answers my own question, or comes pretty close.

I also worry about precluding things that other owners might find important. In your case, perhaps keep the small ice maker so someone can reinstall it if desired. We did exactly that on a previous boat since we didn’t need a full bar at every turn.
I had been leaning towards no ice maker in the fridge, but sometimes it pays to see if you're in the 10% minority, apparently I'm not. Will probably keep the other unit in place till next spring and see if my thoughts change. Watched a few videos on the countertop ice makers, pretty impressive.

Ted
Old 09-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #20
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We found ice trays in our relatively-small freezer compartment took up too much room, didn't leave enough room for food... and the constant opening of that door increased how often we had defrost.

Since then, we got a $100 portable countertop icemaker, works fine.

-Chris