Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #1

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
New head

I removed the original electric head and holding tank system in the stateroom, and replaced it with a Sealand RV gravity dump model. It sits directly above a 30 gallon tank, and uses a pint or so of fresh water with each use. We have used gravity systems on boats we have chartered, and like the simplicity of it. The tank is angled aft and inboard to the pick-up fitting, to get the maximum removal at each pump out. I used PVC schedule 40 pipe for the pump out line, well supported but flexible. It finishes with a two foot length of hose to the deck plate fitting. So far, it has work fine. The First Mate lost a full size drawer in the bargain, but she's a good sport. I was able to give her a lower drawer that is 7 inches deep, so it wasn't a total loss. She laughed at it, and thought it was cute. She also got the 4 x 2 x 1.5 foot space the original holding tank came out of. It forms a settee between our bunks. When working under the berths, I was always finding air fresheners everywhere. When I removed the aluminum tank, I discovered the bottom full of holes, eroded away. The PO just tried to disguise the odor. Yuck!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0036.jpg   DSC_0037.jpg   DSC_0038.jpg  

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
FF
Guru

IF more boat builders or NA were forced to design the vessel for RV toilets , instead of "marine",, life for owners would be far easier & better over the years..

Gravity is not taxed , does not require rebuilding and is silent and works 24/7 .

Then of course if boat buyers demanded real fuel tanks , instead of a box of fuel, Sea Tow would be loads poorer.

The usual NA response is its too hard to get maint free systems to fit the interior plan.

Easiest to swop NA before the boat is assembled.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I did a similar project. Used the same type toilet and let it gravity to it's connect hose and a short length of black abs pipe with caps at either end...one to attach a barb fitting for the hose, the other to screw in a typical macerator pump that transfers to the main holding tank forward (didn't have the room yet for a holding tank nearby but the pipe allows for a night's full of silent toilet flushes without pushing the button). Total cost about 1/3 of a marine toilet and because the macerator associated with the toilet is in the sound deadened engine room..it is virtually a silent marine electric toilet.

2 years now of trouble free operation of 24/7/365 operation as a liveaboard with 2 users.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I subscribe to the "Occams Razor" (the simplest answer is the best) theory of Boating. So I think I would choose C-Head Composting toilet over the other politically correct choices of hoses, tanks, joker valves, through hulls, macerators etc.
Even though the C-Head is a desicating toilet , rather than a true composter,it seems to be simple and trouble free. More user intervention required than a marine head, until it breaks.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
"Even though the C-Head is a desicating toilet , rather than a true composter,it seems to be simple and trouble free. More user intervention required than a marine head, until it breaks."

That perfectly describes my cats litter box!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Not much to break on the C-Head.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
FF
Guru

Composting toilets are great , except you still have to deal with the urine disposal for the system to work.

One can whiz over the side legally , but not collect it in a bucket and pour it over the side.

In practice everyone does , and composting heads work very well.

With guests I would rather use an RV head and gravity tank, as there is no training for the guests.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote