Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Sounder
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
Need a new heater

Hi everyone Iím looking for a bit of advise. I have a 34 Mainship Trawler and it has a Espar D4 12v heater that needs a new blower motor and as I found out today the unit has over 6000 hours on it! The repair shop is recommending a new unit because if/when the control unit fails the cost would be close to a new unit. With that many hours on it I donít think I could trust it to run much longer. The new unit will cost me 2000CDN and with that I will have a two year warranty. I have been on line and found other units for a bit less but come from either Russia or Turkey so not sure about that. Amazon has some but they are actually more money. They also have some really cheap knock off versions but again I want this thing to work when I need it. If anyone out there has any info or could recommend a similar (cheaper) unit I would appreciate it. Thanks

Rob

Diverrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
I went with the Chinese knockoff. $200 on Ebay, plus another couple hundred in extra parts (stainless exhaust, through hull, C0 monitors, etc).

Since you already have everything installed and plumbed, you're probably looking at the $200 range.

Thus, why I went with the no-name.

mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Guys will say buy this and buy that.
I’m in the buy a Wabasto or Espar camp/s

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #4

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Iím in the buy a Wabasto or Espar camp/s
I'm with Eric on this one!!!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Sure would be easy If you can buy a newer espar that that is a drop in replacement. After that I would talk to who ever services your heat equipment. Makes no sense to buy something that has no support. If you are a DIY person then try one of those $200 Chinese units.

I am a real fan of the IRT Hurricane heaters, but you have to have the space.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #6

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverrob View Post
Hi everyone Iím looking for a bit of advise. I have a 34 Mainship Trawler and it has a Espar D4 12v heater that needs a new blower motor and as I found out today the unit has over 6000 hours on it! The repair shop is recommending a new unit because if/when the control unit fails the cost would be close to a new unit. With that many hours on it I donít think I could trust it to run much longer. The new unit will cost me 2000CDN and with that I will have a two year warranty. I have been on line and found other units for a bit less but come from either Russia or Turkey so not sure about that. Amazon has some but they are actually more money. They also have some really cheap knock off versions but again I want this thing to work when I need it. If anyone out there has any info or could recommend a similar (cheaper) unit I would appreciate it. Thanks

Rob

You don't mention how old this unit is, but I'm guessing at least 12, maybe 15 years or so. Over that much time, these heaters will have provided a good service life, and it is probably time to consider a new blower or unit. We have 12 years on our current D5LC, and the previous D7L went 20 years.

A new blower motor should last for many years, and is probably the best way to go especially if your heating needs will remain unchanged. If you need a new unit, buy a new Espar Airtronic D4 for ease of installation.

Also, you should know that usage hours reported to you by the repair shop's test equipment may or may not be accurate. Some years ago during maintenance by a shore side vendor, we came across an inflated number that did not represent reality.

In any event, if you want to have your heater serviced in your cruising area, you should probably stick with Espar, Webasto or ITR.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #7
FF
Guru

Depending on the expected use , purchasing 4 or 5 Chinese copys might be cheaper and more reliable ?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
I bought a D5, from this company, recently. Ordered on Thursday received the following Monday, no duty was charged, and I did get Customs paperwork, so it was all legal. About half the price of local. Purchase for same reason, older unit blower getting noisy.
https://www.heatso.com/espar-eberspa...kw-heater-kit/
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Iím in the buy a Wabasto or Espar camp/s
I agree. I have an Espar hydronic that has served me well for 8 years. I'd suggest, though, that you buy a brand that has parts and service availability in your area. In my case, Espar has no support in Bellingham or Seattle, at least that I know of, and Webasto does. If I installed another hydronic system, it wouldn't be Espar for that reason even though I like the unit.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Cliffvís, in Seattle is an Espar dealer, and has a supply of parts. Also earlier this year, this thread mentioned a fellow who does repairs locally.
Fantastic Espar furnace repairman PNW
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #11
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Cliffvís, in Seattle is an Espar dealer, and has a supply of parts. Also earlier this year, this thread mentioned a fellow who does repairs locally.
Fantastic Espar furnace repairman PNW
Thanks .....