Need an Ice maker/refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwiggl

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cady Girl
Vessel Make
Californian, Seaswirl, Brig, all others sold.
Hey Kids, It is time to replace my faithful aft deck refrigerator w/ice maker. The 30 yr old unit finally gave out. It was a U-Line 4 Cu Ft unit. I found a direct replacement and the customer experience was not to my expectations.
So I am again looking for a product in that size range. There are many that offer: freezer only, or refrigerator only, or freezer/refrigerator no ice maker. It's just that combo of ice maker/fridge that is a challenge. And then there is the cabinet size...
Manufacturers I have researched include: EdgeStar, Dometic, IsoTherm, Raritan. Not looking at cost or beauty, I want dependability.
Got any ideas? Thanks

Watching this thread with interest. We're thinking of the same thing. We never use the ice maker - in fact, have never used it in the seven years we've owned the boat. Just for general purposes though we keep it in proper order, so it adds one more step to the winterization hassle. A small fridge or fridge freezer would be much more useful.

If the unit can run on 120 VAC all the time (inverter and shore power), I would expand your search to appartment and bar units. While too big for your situation, I've had good luck with my 10 cuft. frost free appartment refrigerator freezer from Summit. While I didn't get the ice maker option, it was a readily available accessory.

Ted

Pretty sure I had the same under-counter unit that I bought about 15 years ago at a West Marine bargain area. Was too cheap to pass up. I installed it at home, which I sold last year. At one point I wanted to replace it with an icemaker (no fridge) and found the dimensions were unusual so options were narrow.

Hate to say it, but you may want to make amends with U-Line. Or work with a specialty appliance retailer.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Peter

Kthoennes, Ted, Peter,
Thanks for your response. Yes, it is an unusual size. I may have to get over the ice maker issue; that opens options in a big way. Just thought I should check with the best resource on the web 1st.
This is a lesson of the value working with a local dealer that will service what they sell. Especially if you are still working and want to spend time enjoying the ride rather than fussing with it (which I will enjoy soon).
That said I'm looking forward to any other advice or resources. I am looking at the apartment/dorm units idea.

Too bad you didn’t ask last year. We had almost exactly what you are looking for in the cockpit of our boat. We never use icemakers and it was in the way for changing the secondary fuel filter so I gave it away. Don’t remember the brand but it was a refer and icemaker that fit under the counter and was probably 4 cubic feet.

This is a lesson of the value working with a local dealer that will service what they sell.

We have done a few remodels on houses and rental properties. Have found that every city seems to have an old-school appliance store. The sales people are often very knowledgeable and the pricing competitive. In San Francisco, it was "Cherins Appliances." In Tampa Bay area its "Famous Tates." Much better experience than the standard box stores or even online (have purchased from AJ Madison which was okay, but solving issues was tough). For a smaller appliance like the combo unit you're talking about, AJ Madison would probably be okay.

Peter

Consider one of the small 120 VAC icemakers you can stow away until needed. The one I have has no ice storage capability - just makes ice in a few minutes. On the trawler I had we used to make some ice and put in a zip lock bag in the reefer or freezer section of the fridge depending on when we thought ice would be needed or as space allowed.

If the unit can run on 120 VAC all the time (inverter and shore power), I would expand your search to appartment and bar units. While too big for your situation, I've had good luck with my 10 cuft. frost free appartment refrigerator freezer from Summit. While I didn't get the ice maker option, it was a readily available accessory.

Ted

I agree with Ted the Summit if you can find one to fit your application. I was against a 110 unit when we ordered our NP45 and wanted a 12 volt only unit due perceived battery drain. It has been very good on the batteries.

The model we have is a Summit FFBF246SS fridge/freezer - stainless steel - freezer on bottom - 11 cu.ft.

We have 600 watts of solar. The batteries are topped up by 10:30 A.M. on a sunny day.

Rob

I agree with Ted the Summit if you can find one to fit your application. I was against a 110 unit when we ordered our NP45 and wanted a 12 volt only unit due perceived battery drain. It has been very good on the batteries.

The model we have is a Summit FFBF246SS fridge/freezer - stainless steel - freezer on bottom - 11 cu.ft.

We have 600 watts of solar. The batteries are topped up by 10:30 A.M. on a sunny day.

Rob
These anecdotes are all meaningless. The only fact that matters is the amount of current that the respective fridges consume.

These anecdotes are all meaningless. The only fact that matters is the amount of current that the respective fridges consume.

No, current (amperage) is meaningless.
It's amp hours or killowatts consumed per day.

That's why the federally required Energy guides for residential refrigerators are displayed in killowatts per year.

20181005_155958.jpg

Ted

I installed the Summit Refrigerator with an ice maker and it’s one of the best upgrades I’ve done. Cold beer, hard ice cream, plenty of ice and No defrosting .
IMG_3326.jpg

3 years ago I bought a magic chef 27lb ice maker it lasted 3 years. made thousands of lbs of ice. Worked continuously. Replaced it for the same product. The speed it makes ice is amazing. The best $150 I ever spent. The downside is you have to manually fill it every few days.

Is it 24” wide? If so, you have quite a few domestic options. I have a Sub Zero 24” undercounter fridge/freezer with icemaker on board, run from the inverter. The icemaker takes up a good portion of the freezer space, which is fine since we have a deep freeze elsewhere. Not the cheapest option, but excellent quality.

Hey Kids, It is time to replace my faithful aft deck refrigerator w/ice maker. The 30 yr old unit finally gave out. It was a U-Line 4 Cu Ft unit.

I replaced a failed Dometic unit with one made by

Sea Freeze, Inc

Even though you are in CA, you might contact them b/c they build their own insulated boxes to fit the space needs you have, and then cool them with the typical Danfoss high effeciency compressors which are now the industry standard. Mine has 12V/110V converter as well so I can run off either house bank or shore power. Mine has upper freezer with ice trays and lower refrigeration. Have owned it about 10 years now, and only had to replace the convertor once. I am sure they could ship to your location if you feel comfortable with the install. (Its quite easy, just connect the power via a terminal strip, slide into opening and fix with screws around the perimeter). Again, the advantage is they can build it custom for your cabinet opening if that is what you need.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SeaFreeze Refrigerator.jpeg
    SeaFreeze Refrigerator.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom