Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #41
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Composting Head

I attached a link to another forum. This woman has a composting head in part-time service for about 6 months and here are her comments:

"Composting" head user's report

Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #42
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
She doesn't say where she dumps the urine. If it's overboard, that's just as illegal as dumping the whole thing.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #43
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
They must not have mexican night or chinees buffet night on the houseboat...I think me and mine could take natures head or any others.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #44
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Thanks for the link Tony. I'll try this option if we decide we do not like the pump out and associated other pleasant marine head maintenance. The compost concept is nothing new, just the application to boats seems to bother some. The liquid can quite easily be dumped in the marina bathroom at the end of the trip.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #45
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
She doesn't say where she dumps the urine. If it's overboard, that's just as illegal as dumping the whole thing.
Oddly enough, it's not illegal to pee or poop into the seawater directly, it's only illegal if you put it into some sort of container first.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by albin43 View Post
.......... im sick of waste lines and holding tanks and the bs that goes along with them. ........
I suspect there's a problem with your system or you're doing something wrong. I have very little maintenance or repair problems with mine.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #47
FF
Guru

just the application to boats seems to bother some

As weight is such a dirty word for multihullers , cruising cat and tri folks have decades of experience with composting heads.

No thru hulls , no boxes or bags of S**t , no macerater pumps to fix , no electric required , the pluses are a long list.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #48
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Oddly enough, it's not illegal to pee or poop into the seawater directly, it's only illegal if you put it into some sort of container first.
I remember the old 1950s & 60s interisland trading sailboats in the Caribbean used to have what looked like, and was, an outhouse hanging off the side at the stern corner. A bench inside with a hole for a straight drop into the water. They probably still do today.
Maybe this is what we should be looking at, it won't be the most welcome boat in the anchorage or marina, but maintenance free and simple.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I remember the old 1950s & 60s interisland trading sailboats in the Caribbean used to have what looked like, and was, an outhouse hanging off the side at the stern corner. A bench inside with a hole for a straight drop into the water.....

That would be the "poop deck".

Passenger trains were like that also. Do your business and push the flush lever. A flapper opened and everything went onto the tracks. You could see them going by. They locked the head when the train was in a station.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #50
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
That would be the "poop deck".

Passenger trains were like that also. Do your business and push the flush lever. A flapper opened and everything went onto the tracks. You could see them going by. They locked the head when the train was in a station.
ah thats a lota poop
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Oddly enough, it's not illegal to pee or poop into the seawater directly...
True,but many Admirals would say it was inconvenient, and rightly so.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #52
Guru

QUOTE=BruceK;126373]True,but many Admirals would say it was inconvenient, and rightly so.[/QUOTE]

Really. thats funny..my wooldridge Alaskan has a built in open topped bait tank in the outboard well that has a sea water wash and can double as a live well in it. If you remove the large 2inch plug it goes right into the sea so can make a well you know. The big plug as never been in it as i mostly just use it for fish cleaning then they go on ice. Ladies taught me that the bait tank is a good place to sit and relax and has other uses

So i guess they are legal then?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
QUOTE=BruceK;126373]True,but many Admirals would say it was inconvenient, and rightly so.
Really. thats funny..my wooldridge Alaskan has a built in open topped bait tank in the outboard well that has a sea water wash and can double as a live well in it. If you remove the large 2inch plug it goes right into the sea so can make a well you know. The big plug as never been in it as i mostly just use it for fish cleaning then they go on ice. Ladies taught me that the bait tank is a good place to sit and relax and has other uses

So i guess they are legal then?[/QUOTE]

Maybe, maybe not. The argument could be made by a LEO that the tank is functioning as an MSD and discharge would be illegal. Same as the "bucket and dump it" method. Illegal.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #54
FF
Guru

In the old sailing days the crew would stand on the chains and hang on to the head rope.

A robust dink davit with a toilet seat , hung like a riggers chair might work with a shower curtain .

Certainly would add to the conversation when the boats raft up!

And require a longer painter to tow the dink.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:

So i guess they are legal then?
Maybe, maybe not. The argument could be made by a LEO that the tank is functioning as an MSD and discharge would be illegal. Same as the "bucket and dump it" method. Illegal.[/QUOTE]

that makes sense
Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
In the old sailing days the crew would stand on the chains and hang on to the head rope.

A robust dink davit with a toilet seat , hung like a riggers chair might work with a shower curtain .

Certainly would add to the conversation when the boats raft up!

And require a longer painter to tow the dink.

thats a great idea!! ......maybe it could be rigged up to operate from a boom? Then when it is needed the person mounts up then is swung abeam till they are done.........
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #57
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
thats a great idea!! ......maybe it could be rigged up to operate from a boom? Then when it is needed the person mounts up then is swung abeam till they are done.........
No need for a bidet or TP, just lower them down to the water and drag'em along for a couple of miles.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #58
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greetings,
The thread has me confirmed once again that I would not be a boater of any class in the States, or Southern B.C. Canada where restrictive intended population reside!!
Having been born and raised here in soggy Southeast Alaska, I can relate a story regarding the natural acts on the high seas.
About 20 years ago when the Coast Guard first became in the securing the outfall of boats, there were none in compliance in the commercial fleet, heck, in some quarters, just having an installed indoor head was a huge advancement over hanging you butt over the bullrail or an outside bucket. Anyway, in this story, the Coast Guard boarded "Frenchy" LaFarr's boat. Being he was in his 70's and not a fond friend of any Governmental agency, particularly the "Lilly Pad" Navy.
Of course the young men of the Guard, proceeded to make their inspection and the "head" was to be inspected upon which they proclaimed that Frenchy's head was out of compliance without a locking devise to secure the outfall. Frenchy had only installed the head in the past five years or so as the story goes. Did I say that Frenchy had a temper? No? Well he told the young men to proceed with the inspection and he'd address the securing of the head. He proceeded to tear out the head then and there, thru it overboard with great explanations of what the "Lilly Pad" crew could do and expletives discriptive of how to go about it! Thru a five gallon bucket into the location and that was that!!
Now. allow me to confirm that Riwdman stated. Yes, you can poop/pee in a deck bucket and throw it overboard, that is completely legal.You and the first mate may not approve.which will serve to confirm why I would not be a good fit in such a restrictive life. Just as a bear can poop in the woods, but a human is suppose to pack it out. When yu have to go, you go. so as much as it pains the "Constrictors of freedom" of where and how you poop or pee, it has to be done and a deck bucket works. No big deal. just dump it overboard, scoop up a quarter bucket on the return rince, and repeat, with a final scoop of water and retain the bucket in the head. Purchase a toilet seat and do what Frenchy did, He hung in on the wall over the bucket with the photo of who ever his current baddest enemy was.
Incidentally, later Frenchy was found to have cancer. He didn't fool around, he proceeded, once the prognosis was terminal, filled his wooden skiff with cement, rowed out one night, tied himself to the skiff, pulled the plug and took departure.
Damn, I do like to go back to the good old days, life was simpler and still is here.
You are not drunk if you can lie on the deck
without holding on.

A.M.(Al) Johnson-Ketchikan
27' Marben pocket trawler
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #59
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Nope, that's illegal. Once it's contained, like in a bucket, it's illegal to dump overboard.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #60
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Update:

In re-reading my post, it should be clarified that back in the first years of addressing overboard of waste it was then the rule to have it macerated, a holding tank was not yet required . That allowed current boats, particularly in the commercial use, to make the transition.
In anticipation of those who picture a harbor full of human waste, I understand, however, maceration did then and does a satisfying job of dispensing. To, the fish and underwater life benefited.
Just saying.
Schadenfreude, according to Webster, is “enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others.”

A.M.(Al) Johnson-Ketchikan
27' Marben pocket trawler

Al is offline   Reply With Quote