Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #21
Guru

Re: Nature's head

"Those who have the AirHead or Nature's Head claim to love 'em. But* that's because, legal or not, a LOT of urine jugs get emptied over the side instead of being carryed 'em ashore...and also because they have a certain counter-culture "back to nature"/"off the grid" aspect to 'em that appeals to those who choose 'em. "

Probably so. I have a freind who swears by his AirHead and he does exactly that...dumps it overboard.

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #22

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Any new thoughts on the Nature's Head? We saw them at the Annapolis show last weekend and I'm thinking about one. we have 2 heads forward is Lectra San and the aft head goes to a 36 gallon holding tank. I know the boss would like to get the tank out from under our bed. It is only 5-6 years old but you still get a whiff now and then. The void where the tank is would also make a handy space for another water tank or storage for the peat moss. The forward type I could be used to legally dump the liquid in our case.

Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #23
FF
Guru

You've never maintained a compost pile, have you Fred? If you ever had, you'd know that it* has to be tossed on almost a daily basis to aerate it...otherwise it compacts, becomes anaerobic and rots instead of composting.

No as a recovering New Yorker I have never bothered with compost pile .

However we do have a Natures Head , 2 years now , in our cottage in CT.

With the lid closed the composting is done on completion of every BM by simply rotating a handle.

We only use the place for UNDER 6 months ,every summer , but in these 2years we are still on the first big bag of Peat Moss.

As the stuff is used the storage requirements shrink , unlike a holding tank.

There is no smell outside the house.

Yes, there is a tiny 12v fan fed by a wall cube to help dry the compost . The fan uses so little power , I think most battsets would loose more power daily from the chemistry of just sitting.

Yes ,there is a container for urine that is not allowed to go into the compost bin.

On a boat I assume it would be dumped overboard , unless the P police are violating the constitution and being Quartered aboard.

The head operation is quite easy , but not as easy to use as a push button lubbers head , so would not work well with frequent guests or charter parties .

"and also because they have a certain counter-culture "back to nature"/"off the grid" aspect to 'em that appeals to those who choose 'em. "

No love beads or Che T shirts in my ditty bag.

I use the Natures Head because it solves a problem at lowest cost , and least effort and hassle.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #24
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
It takes much much longer than 6 months to compost the solids.

So where does this product end up ? How many live aboards have access to a composting facility for the actual composting to take effect ?
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #25
FF
Guru

What happens is the waste gets dried out and has no smell.

We fertilize the yard in a non food growing area. (Anywhere!)

Boaters simply put the compost in a garbage bag and put it in the marina dumpster .

Lots less stinky than the kids or grandmothers pampers.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #26

Well I broke down and ordered the Natures Head. I ripped out the entire works from the aft head, tank, Sea Era head and plumbing. The drawers under the bed and the clothes hamper were unusable because anything you put in there acquired the smell of the holding tank. So I'm going to put some cedar planking in where the tank was to try to make it better. Up forward I'm going to replace the electric pack on the Lec/San, remove the hand operated Jabsco head and install the Sea Era. According to the boys at Raritan with a $35 part they will work in unison.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #27
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by albin43 View Post
Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The environmentally sustainable waterless toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig, Barn, Workshop, or Yurt!

so i bought one of these... i get it this week.. anyone here have or hear about them? im sick of waste lines and holding tanks and the bs that goes along with them. specially living aboard pumpouts are hard in the winter. ive never been so excited about a head.
they work very well but do smell in my opinion.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Not if the fan is used.And the lid is closed.

The biggest hassle with the N-H is guests.

Female guests are fine as they sit down all the time (feminists excepted).

The hassle is the unit MUST have the urine collected and not added to the compost, so the boys have to sit also.

This is hard to accept for lots of guys , so a good handrail at the stern , male spot , would be a good addition.

Whizzing into the bay is legal, but dumping a gallon of collected is illegal?

Makes the usual Goberment sense to me.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

The hassle is the unit MUST have the urine collected and not added to the compost, so the boys have to sit also.

maybe that is why my experiance with one resulted in me noticeing oder.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #30

City: New Bern, N.C.
Gulfstar 36 - Keep us posted on your project with N.H. We are contemplating one as well, but haven't decided yet. A sailor at our marina has a N.H. as well as an Airhead on his boat. He thinks the N.H. is superior in construction and operation.

As far as discharge of the fluid, a local Watercraft officer once told me that according to how Ohio's rules are written, it would be legal to whiz over the side, but if you wizzed into a cup and then dumped it overboard, you would be in violation. Go figure.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #31

Will Do! I think we have the same size aft head and the Natures Head seemed a better fit. I will be placing it on Sunday so I will have a better photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
Gulfstar 36 - Keep us posted on your project with N.H. We are contemplating one as well, but haven't decided yet. A sailor at our marina has a N.H. as well as an Airhead on his boat. He thinks the N.H. is superior in construction and operation.

As far as discharge of the fluid, a local Watercraft officer once told me that according to how Ohio's rules are written, it would be legal to whiz over the side, but if you wizzed into a cup and then dumped it overboard, you would be in violation. Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1648.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	14263  
Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
Will Do! I think we have the same size aft head and the Natures Head seemed a better fit. I will be placing it on Sunday so I will have a better photo.
please keep us posted as to how she works out.
Good luck
Old 11-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #33

The Natures Head fits like it was built for this boat I just placed it and it looks like it should be a snap to finish. My feet don't dangle but my wife's do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1667.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	14275   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1669.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	14276  
Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
It would be great to get your thoughts of the choice you made a year from now. All I've heard has been anecdotal comments from non users.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #35

Will do. This is more of a get the stinky holding tank and hoses out from under our berth, so I hope it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
It would be great to get your thoughts of the choice you made a year from now. All I've heard has been anecdotal comments from non users.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #36
FF
Guru

"All I've heard has been anecdotal comments from non users."

Ours has 3 seasons use so far.

FF
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #37

City: New Bern, N.C.
Gulfstar 36 - a very neat installation on your new head. How did you route the exhaust pipe, and are you using the little muffin fan?
It looks like your MKII has a slightly smaller head deck area than my MKI. But you still have plenty of room in there.
I know I'd have to install a step for my vertically challenged admiral's feet to rest on.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #38

The head has a built in fan and I'm routing it out where the old pump out fitting was located. I have not none much but placed the head for fit so far. The holidays have me bogged down. as for the vent hose, the PO had the SeaEra plumbed through an open slider door as shown. I think I will do the same but cut a hole in the door to allow it to close.

Also pictured are my measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
Gulfstar 36 - a very neat installation on your new head. How did you route the exhaust pipe, and are you using the little muffin fan?
It looks like your MKII has a slightly smaller head deck area than my MKI. But you still have plenty of room in there.
I know I'd have to install a step for my vertically challenged admiral's feet to rest on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1437.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	14462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	14463  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #39
Guru

how do you empty it? Will emptying be messy?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #40
FF
Guru

A large sized plastic bag can be used to hold all the contents ,

lift the unit and invert to dump it empty the volume is less than would fill a square milk crate.

To refresh the unit, Peat Moss is required , and should be stored aboard.

A $6.00 bag will go probably a year, , but is a good volume to stick someplace aboard.