Mystery Plumbing Fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rain Dog

Vessel Name
Rain Dog
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
Trying to fix some creative plumbing on my freshwater system. There is some copper pipe connected with a compression fitting to a male threaded fitting. I want to replace that with a hose barb. The male threaded fitting is close to 1/2 NPT but slightly smaller.

I figured it was British (since everything else on my boat seems to be), so I bought a 1/2 BSPT Female x 1/2 NPT Male adapter. That seemed to fit pretty well, although the threads were slightly loose. I attached it and turned the pressure on and it leaks.

So now I am stumped. What fitting is the same size as BSPT but with different threads? Or maybe the same threads but just slightly larger? Or maybe I just put 5 or 6 layers of Teflon tape and call it a day?

[emoji106]
I happened to be looking at a Defender catalog today and they had a similar write up re various pipe threads.

If it's a tapered thread of any type, it will need a thread sealant.

If it's a tapered thread of any type, it will need a thread sealant.

I use 2-3 layers of PTFE tape for all my NPT connections. That does not work for this fitting. I did notice on the UK youtube videos for how to use PTFE tape, they use 10 layers of tape. In the US videos I have seen they only use 2-3. So maybe more tape would have fixed the problem.

Either way, I switched from PTFE tape to thread sealant (dope) and that solved the problem, at least for now. More layers of PTFE might have solved it too.

Back
Top Bottom