Motion Detectors and sirens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmnj

Since we're heading to the Caribbean and plan on being on the hook most of the time, I was wondering if any of you use or have had experience with using motion detectors with lights and possibly sirens. Thanks

Greetings,

redbonecoonhound5.jpg

Heck we don't even lock the doors, it's to hot! :)

We had motion detector lights on the side and aft deck. What an absolute pain in the ass. Waves, birds or me getting up in the night to pee over the side. Not a pretty sight. We never worried about boarding's at night.

I think I got the picture. Don't worry be happy

Before heading to the Bahamas we considered the same type of systems. None seemed viable and in the end we did nothing, though we did carry a loaded crossbow!!! . Also, we never had the slightest hint of any problems. There are a couple of simple things you might consider. The easiest is to spread some (stainless) tacks like roofing nails around typical boarding locations. Another is battery powered motion detectors for inside the cabin entrance areas or battery door alarms. Both are inexpensive and easy to fit. I think the biggest risk is being robbed while ashore and neither system will help since you will not be there to deal with the intruder thief.
The other thing to consider is that your dinghy is probably the most prized target. Need to chain it and/or hoist it up at night.

Last edited:
I think the biggest risk is being robbed while ashore and neither system will help since you will not be there to deal with the intruder thief.
The other thing to consider is that your dinghy is probably the most prized target. Need to chain it and/or hoist it up at night.

We cruised the Abacos 2 years ago and I agree with the above. I did install a siren and Red strobe on the radar arch connected to a panic switch in the aft cabin wired in parallel with a high water alarm.
Thank goodness we never had to use it. I did lock the dinghy in most places.

Below is a schematic of the panic button.

We are planning an extended cruse which will include the Everglades and remote areas of GA on the ICW. The panic button and dog will be our first line of defense. There is a second but I don't want to start that discussion again.:hide:

Attachments

• Alarm System.JPG
    Alarm System.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 99
The alarm folks have outside welcome mats , that are ON switched for your alarm.

We used a Sears 12V cattle fence shocker to say WELCOME from the lifelines and stanchons.

I can't speak for the other islands, but your best defense in the PR / USVI's / BVI's is a long security cable threaded though your dinghy's Yamaha lifting handle and a Schlage high security padlock, locking your dinghy to your boat every night as well as to docks ashore. George

Back
Top Bottom